Pomoxis

Musings of a oldish grouse hunter

quailguy

Just back from Maine with my Britt and a guide for 3 days.  He had a lab and a DK that hunted close. My problem is part age but mostly a broken ankle that was in a cast for 6 months. Just got it off in very late July. Following the dogs in the slash, etc, led to a fall and a hurt ankle again. There after I walked the tote roads. The walking was easier but the shooting was more difficult   Instead of seeing the bird lift off I heard the guide call out ‘bird!!” And I looked for it in those narrow trails and roads with only a split second to find the damn bird and shoot. Much more difficult shooting but much easier walking imho.  One more bad fall and I would have out of the game so I choose easier walking. 

YMMV

MN Tonester
4 hours ago, MNice said:

Yesterday, our destination was a gated logging road. I picked this spot as I wanted to see how the cover came in and it provided an easy walk for two guys that need exercise, one being me. The dog covered a lot of ground and so did we and it was a nice change from our usual brush busting adventures.

I've barely got out this season; wife has found too many projects 😢  Got out last Thursday with Oscar along a snowmobile trail and one flushed wild just off the trail.  I will be 68 in a matter of weeks and have had some hip issues.  Trying to bust thorn apples and wild raspberry cane exhausts me like it never has before.  Oscar flushed two more that I should have had shots at, but my brain just doesn't register fast enough to get the shot off.  My brothers are coming up from out of state the end of the week for our annual pheasant/grouse hunt.  All three of us are getting too old, too quick.  My oldest bro was recently diagnosed with early stage dementia; my youngest has back surgery in three weeks.  I know I will no longer bust brush or thick cover and have to hope for cooperative birds at this stage.  A shame, because Oscar has turned into a great hunter and deserves better.

Reeba

I stumble through the brush chasing my flusher thinking that at least for grouse a pointer might be less stumbling because you'd only be brush busting when the dog is on point.  However, since my favorite hunting during woodcock season is finding large numbers of woodcock, I know things wouldn't change with a pointer.

But, that's not why I'm responding.  We have a vendor who sponsors business meetings and always has a health/diet/fitness speaker.  The advice of  the last speaker last spring has me 18 lbs. lighter and feeling great.  My varicose are even shrinking. By his own admission nothing unusual about his advice he's mostly a motivator.  The quick summary of what allowed me to lose the weight relatively seamlessly, was:  Reduce sugar as much as possible.  Reduce artificial sweeteners to keep your digestive bacteria happy.  Eat a little nonfat unsweetened yogurt or probiotics daily to keep your digestive bacteria happy.  Reduce or eliminate alcohol as it metabolizes to sugar.  No fruit juice, but eat all the whole fruit you want.  Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables.  The safest fats are olive oil or canola oil or fats without transfats.  Use portion control at mealtime.  Exercise a minimum of 30 to 40 minutes/day.  I walk the dog anyway.

Like he said nothing you don't already know just do it, you'll feel better and that will motivate you to continue.  I still have 6 lbs. to go to reach the high end of my ideal weight, but that's going slow.  The biggest benefit of the weight loss has been much better feeling joints and shrinking varicose veins.  And of course I can chase the dog longer without feeling shot. Like he said feeling better, keeps you motivated.