topdog1961

Black Friday Tire Sale Part Deux?

topdog1961

Anyone needing tires in the near future may want to hold off and see if Walmart and Goodyear team up again for a Black Friday Tire Sale. Last year, you could purchase Goodyear Wrangler truck tires or Goodyear Viva 60,000 mile all season car tires for blow out prices and get free mounting and lifetime rotation and balance.  You didn’t have to stand in line and fight crowds, just purchase them in person anytime Thursday evening through Sunday night, and have them put on later.  And no worries about limited availability.  If they were sold out, you got a rain check.  I bought 4 Wranglers for my F-150 for $94 each and had them installed when they came in a couple weeks later.  A set of quality 4x4 truck tires, mounted with lifetime balance for under $400?  You can’t go wrong with that.  My nephew bought 15 inch Vivas for his van for $54 each, with the same installation deal.  You could buy them on-line for the same price, but didn’t get the free installation and lifetime balance.  

I had one bad experience with a Walmart that couldn’t even rotate tires right, but have since found another with an automotive manager that seems to really know his stuff. And he has a bunch of old timers and young farm boy types working there that have given me good tire service. So I’m holding off buying new tires until Black Friday, hoping to score a similar deal for my work car and my daughter’s car. 

Randy S

Thanks for the notice. My wife needs tires for her Forester. I'll be all over that sale if it comes up.

WI Outdoor Nut

Please post if you see the deal come up around the black Friday timeframe. 

topdog1961
1 minute ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Please post if you see the deal come up around the black Friday timeframe. 

Will do. 

All should also know that for liability purposes WM will only mount the original tire size, or the size that comes off. So if you plan on changing tire size, you will have to take them off yourself and take in loose, to get the free mounting and balance. 

Virgil Kane

Good info topdog, my wife needs tires on her SUV.

Thanks !!

Virgil

Lurch

Thanx! Picked up a new rig last night that's got good street tires but would like to have a set for "chasing critters thru the mud & axle grease" as well.

WI Outdoor Nut

Does anyone know if this sale will take place?  Appears I will need tires for my wife's car.  Not doing so well in the light snows we have had so far. 

topdog1961

Goodyear website says Black Friday sales to be released soon. Walmart flyer is not out, but one of the Black Friday scoop websites predicts it will be dropped today, for what they know. 

I’m in the same boat, had to drive my truck to work the last two days because tires on car are unsafe in snow. If the weather keeps this up, I’ll spend more on gas than I save on tires. 

topdog1961

The sale is on. A little different from last year but still looks like a great opportunity. Looks like more Goodyear tires available, all at $20 off what’s normally an already good price per tire, and they will again offer the free mounting and lifetime balance. With a flat $20 off, the Best Buys are gonna be on the smaller less expensive tires, like I need. I believe last year, all the wrangler truck tires were $94 and all viva car tires $53. That made the larger truck tires like I got a steal. 

Last year there was a LOT of confusion about the free mounting and balance, and it looks like WM has done nothing this year to lessen that. It turned out you only got that on tires purchased at the store, not for online purchases. Even WM customer service 800 number couldn’t clear that up for me. But if you went to the store, that’s what they said, and they are the ones mounting them. But you just had to buy them during the 4 days, and could get mounted later. However, you could still buy the tires online at the discount price, but had to pay for mounting. 

https://www.walmart.com/store/5857/westerville-oh/weekly-ads?flyer_run_id=397924&flyer_type_name=ad

A62A4D45-2D5A-46D3-B21F-82D3F67AD08A.jpeg

Virgil Kane

Sams Club (owned by Wally World) had a sale last Saturday.  I bought the tires on line and receipt said not in stock, pay when mounted.  I got a phone call 4 hours later saying I had to pay for them in store that day to get the sale price ( saved $160 on BF Goodrich).  I stood in line for a solid 3 hours waiting to pay only to be told after that long wait that I didn't have to pay until they were shipped to store and installed by the auto service manager.  Should have bought the tires at Wal-Mart but it sounds like they don't have their act together either.  I paid for them and the soonest they can install is December 7th but they told me that after I paid for them.  Uhhh !!!

Virgil

topdog1961

Look like the Viva 3 is a 60,000 mile rated all season car tire, and the Assurance Outlast an 80,000 mile tire. Both are manufactured exclusively for WM by GY. Both have 4-4.5 reviews. 

Last year I figured I’d avoid the crowd, and ordered my tires at the sale price online for delivery to the store. Then I saw Dale Earnhart Jr hawking the sale on social media, and he said they had to be purchased at the store for free mounting. I called WM customer service and they were clueless. I then called a store and the auto manager confirmed this, and that he didn’t have my size in stock and would have to order them. I said “you’re telling me I have to cancel my online order, come in there and take up your time to order the same thing again.” He agreed that was dumb and said he would honor the free installation just that once. 

sharptail grouse

I hate buying tires.

Virgil Kane
1 hour ago, topdog1961 said:

Last year I figured I’d avoid the crowd, and ordered my tires at the sale price online for delivery to the store. Then I saw Dale Earnhart Jr hawking the sale on social media, and he said they had to be purchased at the store for free mounting. I called WM customer service and they were clueless. I then called a store and the auto manager confirmed this, and that he didn’t have my size in stock and would have to order them. I said “you’re telling me I have to cancel my online order, come in there and take up your time to order the same thing again.” He agreed that was dumb and said he would honor the free installation just that once. 

Ahh, so I'm not alone.  Sorry for your troubles, one would think that the stores employees and  managers (web site designers) would be aware of this but alas it's not the case. I talked to a total of 4 different people, one on the phone and 3 at the store.  They all gave me different answers as to how the sale works. I thought it would be an easy process but it turned out not to be.  I hate buying tires too, and have always hated going to Sams Club.

Virgil 

topdog1961

Once again, this is as clear as mud. The Outlast tire size listed in the ad, 202/55/16, is what I need. It’s listed as $68, “was $88”. That aligns with the  $20 off per tire sale. Yet if if go to Walmart.com, I can buy the tire now for $75.74, which should make the sale price $55.74, not $68. So it looks like they raise the price $12.26 for the sale, then put them on sale for “$20 off”. Whatever, if I get a set of 80,000 mile Goodyear all season tires mounted with lifetime rotation and balance for $275 out the door, I’m doing good. 

I’ll wait till Saturday or Sunday after Black Friday crowds die down to go in and buy them, plus a set for my daughter’s car.  All for later installation. 

Edit: checked at a store and they are indeed $88 there. They said some specific sizes are cheaper online. At $68 installed the Black Friday sale is a far better deal. 

WI Outdoor Nut

Thanks topdog for pointing out this sale.  I talked with the manager in auto about the sale at our local walmart and he was excellent to work with.  For my wife's car, I can pick up the goodyear viva's for $260+tax.  My local mechanic, I was looking at just short of $800.  While those might have been a better tire, so not quite apples to apples, this looks like a good tire at a GREAT price.