11 minutes ago, stephen brown said:

23860768-spiked-tires.jpg

Probably not terrific on pavement.

Birdcountry70
On 10/25/2019 at 1:05 PM, stephen brown said:

23860768-spiked-tires.jpg

I believe those are for aerating your lawn.🤪

RookieEP

Marty how do those studs work on regular ole concrete?

sharptail grouse
On 10/25/2019 at 1:17 PM, martyg said:

Probably not terrific on pavement.

They'd be great on the pavement outside my window right now ☹️

River19
5 minutes ago, RookieEP said:

Marty how do those studs work on regular ole concrete?

Been rolling on studs in the winter for several years on multiple vehicles.....in my experience over ~100-150K miles with studs, dry pavement, less grip when pushed to limits than studless.  There is also the increased noise and depending on vehicle, tire pressure etc. there can also be some high frequency vibration.  None of those items really made me not want them.  On black ice or similar they are very effective.....within reason.....it doesn't turn your car into an F1 car on ice or anything.

I need to pick up a couple sets of winter tires and I'm debating.......the ones for the Lexus GS will most likely be performance snows like a Pirelli Sotozero studdless.  For the GX....I ran studded the past 3 seasons and have aggressive AT2s on now which are technically a mud/snow rated tire......not sure what I will do there.

martyg
7 hours ago, River19 said:

Been rolling on studs in the winter for several years on multiple vehicles.....in my experience over ~100-150K miles with studs, dry pavement, less grip when pushed to limits than studless.  There is also the increased noise and depending on vehicle, tire pressure etc. there can also be some high frequency vibration.  None of those items really made me not want them.  On black ice or similar they are very effective.....within reason.....it doesn't turn your car into an F1 car on ice or anything.

I need to pick up a couple sets of winter tires and I'm debating.......the ones for the Lexus GS will most likely be performance snows like a Pirelli Sotozero studdless.  For the GX....I ran studded the past 3 seasons and have aggressive AT2s on now which are technically a mud/snow rated tire......not sure what I will do there.

I drive them in snow and ice today. Unplowed 8ish inches in the parking lot, to packed snow and ice on I70. I70 was empty, so I had opportunities to throw the Audio around. Super tenacious.  For the first few hundred miles they were very loud. Not sure if I am getting used to them, or if a bit of wear had taken the edge off.

Overall, I need a very sticky tire for snow and ice, so I go with studs. Lots of hills here with places of objective consequence. Lots of ice.

terrym

Studs aren’t legal here anymore, haven’t been for years actually. If they were I would use them. 

River19
13 hours ago, martyg said:

I drive them in snow and ice today. Unplowed 8ish inches in the parking lot, to packed snow and ice on I70. I70 was empty, so I had opportunities to throw the Audio around. Super tenacious.  For the first few hundred miles they were very loud. Not sure if I am getting used to them, or if a bit of wear had taken the edge off.

Overall, I need a very sticky tire for snow and ice, so I go with studs. Lots of hills here with places of objective consequence. Lots of ice.

The sound will be loud for a bit then mellow and plateau at a noticeable level but not too the point of annoying.  Plus in the winter with windows closed and a quality vehicle it helps dampen the noise.

The studs really shine in the glare ice and snow over an icy bottom layer.  In heavy snow where you aren't touching pavement at all it just comes down to the tire itself, which is great since studded snows start with a great snow tire to begin with.

snapt

I prefer stud-less snows, but there's 1-2 days a year I wish I had studs. Subie + Snow tires = I often find myself having to check myself from driving faster than I should. Its a solid combo.

RookieEP
15 hours ago, martyg said:

Where you living with these conditions already?

martyg
7 hours ago, RookieEP said:

Where you living with these conditions already?

In Summit County, Colorado for ski clinics. Whiteout right now... Pow pow tomorrow.

I live in SW CO.

Loveland-2019-1.jpg

Loveland-2019-2.jpg

Loveland-2019-3.jpg

RookieEP

Thats wild man