Rogue Hunter

I'm tired of all the waterproof, breathable stuff.

Rogue Hunter

I've spent literally thousands of dollars on the modern so-called "waterproof", "breathable" fabrics, Gortex, and all the rest. Not one piece of that equipment, jackets, boots, whatever, ever lived up to the marketing hype. I tell ya, P.T. Barnum would be proud!

About 15 yrs ago, I bought, on sale or clearance, a Hodgman camo rain jacket (cost me maybe $10-12) to use for duck hunting. Worked well enough, but the Gortex craze can alone, and I put the Hodgman in the closet and forgot about it. I've looked at it from time to time over the years and thought I should just toss it, but it wasn't taking up any space, so... Anyway, this year we've had so much rain, and while running the dog every day, I've come home soaked through and through every time. Well, a couple weeks ago, I saw the Hodgman in the closet--it was raining that day--and thought, "why not". Pulled it out, looked it over, darn thing was still pliable, no cracks, so out the door I went. Hour later, I'm back home, and damn, I'm dry!!

So, after 4-5 super duper water-proof, wind-proof, breathable, big dollar jackets, I'm back to wearing a 15 year old, rubberized rain jacket.

SelbyLowndes

I'll second that.  Gore-tex does not last long for me...SelbyLowndes

Peent

So you're saying you have some stuff for sale?  

john mcg

I have a 25 plus year Marmot Alpine Light jacket that is Goretex and is still water-proof.

I have Danner Foothill 8 goretex boots that are 12 years old and I can still stand in a puddle and they never leak.

Goretex is water proof. What is important is how it is utilized in a piece of gear. How it is sown, etc.

I have had Goretex garments since 1st Gen 40 years ago and never had a problem.

mister grouse

Interesting about some having success with goretex.  My experience is not favorable.  Especially poor on the GT boots--lucky to get two years from any GT boot.  Ive tried various washing and retreating "fixes" on GT coats and seldom get the waterproof wear for any acceptable length of time.  

Rogue Hunter
1 hour ago, Peent said:

So you're saying you have some stuff for sale?  

I've had good luck with the Obenauf's, so I'm going to coat the boots (Lowas) with it. The Columbia Jacket, I need to try some kind of spray waterproofing. The rest of the jackets have long since disappeared. 

john mcg

The treating doesn't have anything to do with the goretex membrane itself. It is meant to prevent the nylon from holding water between the fibers...or to bead up and roll off. This helps the goretex to breath.

Rogue Hunter

Thanks for the link. Imagine, I just happen to have an iron in the closet, haven't use it in twenty years, wonder if it still works? I'd try most anything to get that jacket of mine to repel water/rain again. I'll give it a try. The boots may be a bit more complicated.

mccuha

I own like you a lot of gortex stuff. If the stuff wasn’t so hot I’d probably go to a waxed canvas jacket.  Old school but I’ve tried them and for most of the season at the bottom of the flyways it’s just to dang hot.  

Rogue Hunter
2 hours ago, mccuha said:

I own like you a lot of gortex stuff. If the stuff wasn’t so hot I’d probably go to a waxed canvas jacket.  Old school but I’ve tried them and for most of the season at the bottom of the flyways it’s just to dang hot.  

Should have bought Filson 10 years ago. You see the price their asking these days?

Rick Hall

I've not had much/any better luck with Gortex than the others, as it, too, soaks through at pressure points, like where one's back leans against a blind.  I've had best luck by using Nikwax wash and wash-in water repellent with all so-said breathable membranes.  And only trust urethane or pvc in serious, long-term rains.

(Only reason I still own a waxed canvas barn coat is that it reminds me of a beloved grandfather who had one like it.  Wear it around the yard in cold, wet weather, but quickly learned there are much better field options.)

Tim Frazier

Often overlooked is  good tight weave wool, especially when a second layer cap is sewn in.  I've stayed dry in some pretty nasty weather in several wool garments I own.  I will echo the lament about gortex garb, I'm not a fan.

shoot-straight

To stay dry- commercial fisherman have it right. Pvc. 

Grundens makes camo bibs and jackets in pvc(they make breathable too). They are lighter weight than the commercial stuff however. It works and is pretty nice. Got a set last year

GLS

Yep, PVC is watertight.  Gore-tex is a joke in clothing, hats and boots.  I've not had any success with boots, clothing, etc.  I should have learned my lesson with the first purchase decades ago.  It is however perfect for medical procedures.  Gil