Rogue Hunter

I'm tired of all the waterproof, breathable stuff.

garyRI

Gortex needs to be revived from time to time with something like one of Nixwax's specialty products. I have a 30+ year old Columbia quad parka that is still effective. The lighter breathables where the Gortex type product is bonded directly to the outer layer are great for packing/stowing but the bond breaks down at 3-4 years. I find breathables useful for ambigious days where it might rain. But if it is simply raining waterproof Grunden/Helly Hansen type rain gear is the right thing to wear.

I have a lot of gear but none of it is as comfortable as sitting on a couch. But I've never caught a fish or shot anything sitting on a couch.

bigjohnsd

I have had great experience with my Goretex Motorcycle gear.  As GaryRI points out it has to be revived. 

When the outer layer gets dirty it will not repel water which then hampers the membrane from working.

Goretex requires a temperature difference across the membrane to work properly, it has to be warmer inside the protected side of the membrane than it is on the outside for the moisture to move through the membrane. 

sharptail grouse

I've had great luck with breathable waders, caps, jackets, pants and boots. My experience has been that if it starts to not work the garment probably needs to be washed. Cheaply made garments without taped or with poorly taped seams are going to leak and/or otherwise not hold up. I still have a Patagonia shell from 1993 that works well.