Sign in to follow this  
OldSarge

John Deere 790 tractor

OldSarge

I have been looking for a utility tractor for a while and was able to work out a deal on this older JD 790. It’s a 27hp 3cyl diesel with manual tranny, front loader, and back hoe. Also got a back blade with the deal. It’s an older model but is pretty solid and has mostly metal parts and panels. Needs a little peripheral tlc to fix the lights and replace a couple weather checked hoses but otherwise everything works. Now I just need to find a good 60” brush hog and I can start mowing trails and making food plots on the property. Anyone have experience with this model tractor or similar? What should I look out for as far as maintenance? 

C8ECDAA1-C1B5-48FA-BD9B-80C77423C8E9.jpeg

12A6C809-B439-4238-A125-E2FF6C9C85EE.jpeg

Thunder Bay

No experience with JD - my experience is with the orange ones.  Looks like a nice machine and I would love to have the backhoe.  I let the dealer do the major maintenance milestones and I do all the minor stuff.  I try to keep up with the greasing every other time I use the tractor and the various attachments.

Get a good grease gun with quick attach tip and use it often.  Watch your air filter (engine cowling) when tilling or heavy ground work, very easy to overheat the radiator with all the duff/weedheads that gets sucked into it (I’ve done this a couple times not paying attention).  I use a sprayer neutralizer (I don’t remember the name) that you dump in after I use glyphosate to keep the internal parts “happy”.

Jim Vander

I have this exact tractor. I have had no issues at all bought used from landscaper who was broke. I don't have the backhoe.

For the size its a very good tractor. The battery hold down due to location is very prone to rust catches moisture and debris. Not a big deal to reinforce and remount. 

The hydraulic fittings are dissimilar metals so need to be popped off and lubed occasionally. 

There were slight differences in years on these as to which engine model but all were Yanmars which have great reputation. 

If a 20HP tractor will do what you need it to do this is a good one. 

I run a 60" flail mower and almost never bog down. 

Easy tractor to maintain and napa can get you all the filters so you can avoid giving so much green to the green.

Any questions feel free to ask

Cooter Brown

OldSarge has the coolest toys in town!

OldSarge
37 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

OldSarge has the coolest toys in town!

Gotta keep the property in shape so you can keep visiting and scaring my birds. 

Cooter Brown
42 minutes ago, OldSarge said:

Gotta keep the property in shape so you can keep visiting and scaring my birds. 

Glad to oblige--that's about all we've done to 'em!  But the wild children pups have had a ball!

Thunder Bay

Was just thinking about this again, couple more tips that you may want to consider:

1.  Buy a bunch of Harbor Freight furniture dollies ($8/piece).  They come in different sizes - great platform for your various attachments if stored in garage or barn with concrete floor

2.  If you have attachments that use shear bolts (snowblower, tiller, etc.).  Get at least a half dozen for spares

3.  I put a couple of aftermarket LED lights underneath my ROPS and they are great for late night/early morning snow removal.  Much better than OEM

4.  Some kind of tool holder/old ammo can is great way to keep some of your frequent maintenance gear (gloves, shear bolts, zip ties, etc.) close by at all times.  Can mount it wherever is convienent

WI Outdoor Nut

Have about the same vintage in the 24 horse model.  Been a great little tractor for my uses.  Right now doing ~ 14 food plots a year, plus all the work around my house.