Dogwood

All-season tires that are durable enough to prevent rock punctures?

Dogwood

Plenty of AT's I know but looking for an all-season.  Thanks.

walt lister

Michelin makes 10ply rated all season tires, I have them on my E150 Ford van. Nothing is bullet proof but these may provide better protection.

Crazy Setter

I have had great luck with Hankook Dynapro ATM.  Put the beefier version on our Tundra Crew Cab and FJ Cruiser. Some of the best tires I have had. 

Olaf

Flush
47 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

Plenty of AT's I know but looking for an all-season.  Thanks.

In what size?

In truck type sizes there are quite a few E load (10 ply) tries available in all-season patterns.

going with E-load (10ply) are probably going to be your best bet in preventing rock punctures.

Michelin and General (and others) have offerings that fit that description.

In sizes more typical of passenger cars or crossover type SUV's your options are going to be more limited. 

Dogwood
21 minutes ago, Flush said:

In what size?

In truck type sizes there are quite a few E load (10 ply) tries available in all-season patterns.

going with E-load (10ply) are probably going to be your best bet in preventing rock punctures.

Michelin and General (and others) have offerings that fit that description.

In sizes more typical of passenger cars or crossover type SUV's your options are going to be more limited. 

265/70/R17

2008 Ford Expedition.  Plan on hunting chukar country next year; counting on sharp rocks.

WMassGriff

Michelin LTX.

UplandHntr

This is what I run. Been very happy with them.

Hercules Terra Trac II A/T

CptSydor

I've run a couple sets of the winter version of these (not the LT). Very happy with performance and reasonably priced.

Cooper Discoverer

DonT
1 hour ago, WMassGriff said:

Michelin LTX.

I have had these on a number of Jeep Cherokee's and 10 ply LTX's on several 1/2 ton P/U.   Think the newer Michelin Defenders are even better.   The 10 ply where tough and both the 10ply and P tires lasted for a lot of miles.  I wish Michelin made a good AT tire.  

Flush

I see many others are recommending all terrain tires, even though you specifically asked about something other than ATs.

I also agree that ATs will likely be best for rock punctures, but since you apparently aren't interested in those, the three in the "all-season" category I would be considering would probably be:

Michelin Defender LTX

General Grabber (HD or HTS)

Cooper Discoverer HTS

And I'd only be looking at the E load (10 ply) versions, no the standard load versions, if rock punctures are a concern. And again I think going to an AT tire would be better yet, at least from a rock standpoint.

Dogwood
24 minutes ago, Flush said:

I see many others are recommending all terrain tires, even though you specifically asked about something other than ATs.

I also agree that ATs will likely be best for rock punctures, but since you apparently aren't interested in those, the three in the "all-season" category I would be considering would probably be:

Michelin Defender LTX

General Grabber (HD or HTS)

Cooper Discoverer HTS

And I'd only be looking at the E load (10 ply) versions, no the standard load versions, if rock punctures are a concern. And again I think going to an AT tire would be better yet, at least from a rock standpoint.

Thanks for your advice.  I specified all-season 'cuz it's really a highway rig and IME all-seasons are quieter and offer better straight line driving than AT's.  Likely better for hydroplaning also I would imagine.

Kansas Bound

My 3.5 L ecoboost runs BFGoodrich KO2s.  They have killed my gas mileage.  

I am leaning towards Michelin's for next time. 

prairierat

I know you said all-season rather than AT due to highway noise, but just wanted to mention that I've had fantastic luck with the General Grabber AT2s in an e-load 10-ply as a highway tire. They handle nicely on the highway, no noise that iIcan discern, and wear very well. I think they discontinued the AT2 in favor of the ATX, which I just put a set on my truck a couple weeks ago and so far love them. I got the Grabbers in the 10-ply specifically for sidewall puncture resistance. Been very happy with Generals, and they may offer an all-season tire in a 10-ply.  

UplandHntr

The link I provided above says AT / All Season on their website. I guess its up to the customer to decide which they are. They really are a quiet tire in my opinion. 

Hettmoe
On 11/5/2019 at 12:13 PM, Crazy Setter said:

Hankook Dynapro ATM

I drive my pickup every day on gravel 99% of the time. These are the best we have found for gravel. Coopers are better for snow, and for Hiway travel, but not quite as long lasting on gravel.