Sign in to follow this  
Jakeismydog2

Anyone ever see a dog box like this?

Jakeismydog2

So I built a new dog box this year. It is definitely a unique design. The challenge was this: 

1. It needed to hold 3 dogs.

2. It needed to be able to be used between 3 different trucks (we don't always take the same guys truck)

3. My truck has drawers that run the length of the bed. I wanted the box to be up by the cab. I didn't like having the box up that high at the tailgate.

4. The other trucks don't have a base of drawers to hold the box up over the wheel wells

Design concept was this. For my truck it will sit perpendicular to the truck on top of the drawers by the cab. For the other trucks it will sit parallel to the truck in the bed with the back up against the wheel well. Both of these situations cause a real problem. You have to climb up in the bed to open and close the dog doors. 😠

Unless you could operate the doors remotely. Like from the end of the box!

IMG_20191031_224227.jpg

IMG_20191031_224239.jpg

IMG_20191031_224304.jpg

IMG_20191031_224322.jpg

IMG_20191031_224352.jpg

SelbyLowndes

Neat design.  Not overmuch room per dog though just judging from the pictures....SelbyLowndes

Jakeismydog2

Interior dimensions are 20"x29" The GSP in that video belongs to my buddy. He is easily the biggest GSP I have ever seen about a 70# dog. One of the boxes will go to a 30# French Britt, the other to my 50# setter.

SelbyLowndes

My homemade double:

photo_zps2b347c8c.jpg

I have big dogs though...SelbyLowndes

Hub

I saw a box kind of like that in the parking lot of a mom and pop hotel in North Dakota a few years back.  A big black lab had chewed a hole large enough to sticky his big blocky head through.  He was barking his fool head off and had  gleam to his eye like he was thoroughly enjoying himself.  Here is what my 2 year old GSP did to my metal dog box while I left him to grouse hunt his older kennel mate.  When he caught up with me 1 mile from the truck I started thinking I must have forgot to bolt the latch.  It didn't occur to me that the little b@stard had bent metal and popped rivets to free himself:

IMG_20190922_114728070.thumb.jpg.244111f55addacd11141ea8aedcc0f0d.jpg

I found a replacement door online and dropped it in.  Unfortunately the new door is a little smaller than the old one, so soon to be installed metal nameplates will be hiding he difference.  I actually had to bolster the interior of these doors a little as he started working on pulling out the track that the storm door slips in.

IMG_20191020_090442753.thumb.jpg.cb0afb2aca05a9902a4b906da588a7c7.jpg

ARKBRDHUNTER

I wish I had a picture of one my dad built for me years ago. He could build anything with wood (worked for free with a cabinet maker early in his life and then used that skill to make extra money to hunt and shoot). I had complained about having to remove my dog box to haul stuff and he built one that fit in the standards of a regular truck bed. It fit and sat just behind the cab much like a tool box. The high point was in the middle and each side sloped to even with the side of the bed. It had a back and the front had doors and was divided into 3 compartments. You had to lift it out of the standards when removing at seasons end. I ended up giving it away after going with a smaller truck. 

He built some really awesome boxes over the years. My parents were divorced and he lived in many different places due to his work. One year he came home and looked at a box I had built and did not say anything. The next weekend he came in with a brand new one he built and said use this one. Years later my grandmother told me he had said that people would think that we had started running deer or coon dogs with a box like that. I built my own for years after he passed and always took special care to have a nice one just out of respect for him. They never were near the craftsmanship he could produce basically without much effort though. 

GLS

Here's Floyd's homemade box.  Two compartments large enough for two to a compartment.  My two Britts and his two Britts can be carried simultaneously.    Marine plywood was used throughout other than the doors which are pine or cypress.  He painted it with marine paint and sprayed over rivercane branches for the pattern.  Rivercane brakes are a favorite woodcock habitat here in the lowcountry of Ga. and SC.  Gil

58295_800x600.jpg

Jakeismydog2

My Buddy finished painting it yesterday:

eab34963-3f14-4369-9d8d-1ab8bb0894e1.jpg

Jakeismydog2

One of my favorite design features of the box are the door vents. There are 6 vent holes in the door. Put the door vent cover in one way 6 open holes. Flip it over its horizontal axis and 3 holes are open. Flip it over its vertical axis and 0 holes open.

GLS

Speaking of vent holes.  Pop, Sadie?  Sadie, Pop?  Only the nose knows.

53199_600x400.jpg

Mike da Carpenter

Like the home built projects.  Nicely done.  

What is the purpose of the threaded rods?  And how does the “remote” doors work?

Jakeismydog2
2 hours ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Like the home built projects.  Nicely done.  

What is the purpose of the threaded rods?  And how does the “remote” doors work?

The threaded rods are the door openers. They extend to the end of the box where I have a spring-loaded locking mechanism. You push the spring-loaded outer shaft in to "unlock" the door then raise the rod up through the keyhole. Pull the rod out and it opens the door. Push it back in and down and let the spring lock it back into place.

Ol'Forester

Very nice boxes. I used to build mine. Thing is after a number of years I would be replacing bottom or side etc due to decay. I did try to keep them painted and I put a tin roof on them. Finally gave up bit the bullet and bought an aluminum box. Problem solved.

Abu65

Nice