GLS

Why the Toyota Land Cruiser is Disappearing from America

GLS

chilly460

People that spend $85k on a vehicle want more status equity than Toyota provides.  

airmedic1

My son had a Land Cruiser in 2011. It was a beautiful vehicle that seemed more at home in the city than on a rough mountain road. What I mean by that is it was so nice and fancy that I would have been afraid to take it on that rough mountain road, it seemed out of place, oh and it got about 8 MPG and since he was commuting he traded it for something more fuel efficient. I’d buy a stripped down model in a heartbeat. 

GLS

The LC Prado would be a good one.  It's built on the same truck frame as the defunct FJ Cruiser, 4Runner and Lexus GX460.  Too bad diesel  LC's aren't available in the US.   The GX 460 is a re-badged fancified Prado, and with a goofy looking grill.

MDash2

Interesting but not surprising. 

Crazy Horse

I happened to see an old Land Cruiser, vintage 1980's or so. Fully reconditioned. It looked terrific. I could see myself behind the wheel of a REAL off road vehicle; and then I was floored by the sticker price.....$28, 500.

Cooter Brown

Landcruiserresized.thumb.jpg.1a6805beaab25a1180cdc15c262ed35b.jpg

Yeah.  I sold it in a fit of dumbassery.  '79 model.

If Toyota could import the stripped down diesel version of the LC they sell in Africa, Asia, South America etc. for a decent price, they'd have a hit.  But those vehicles have the wrong kind of bumpers or something equally awful and bad for children and baby seals and the like.

But then again, around here it seems like you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an FJ Cruiser, usually driven by what looks like a high school girl.  Don't know what other markets look like but it seems around here they sold every one they could make, and still they stopped importing it.  Labor costs in Japan, maybe?

River19
1 hour ago, GLS said:

The LC Prado would be a good one.  It's built on the same truck frame as the defunct FJ Cruiser, 4Runner and Lexus GX460.  Too bad diesel  LC's aren't available in the US.   The GX 460 is a re-badged fancified Prado, and with a goofy looking grill.

I have a GX470 that has some mild but useful mods to make it a perfect hunting rig, there is a  LARGE GX contingent in the overlanding world that I follow.  These are great platforms.....which were underrated.

An LC is an awesome platform.....when you can get a good example in the $15-25K range after 10 years.

New LCs are just so damn pricey and for many to mentally be "ok" with actually using these vehicles to their capability off road we need someone else to put the first 100K of wear on the rig so the inevitable scratches and abuse is easier to swallow.  Plus the damn price tag issue of new.

GLS

R19, I saw on Youtube where someone poured buckets of money into extensively modifying a new GX 460 for Overlanding with his wife and child.  He replaced the bottom bumper/grill with a metal one with a winch that was made in Europe to fit the Prado.  He replaced the air suspension with adjustable coil suspension, added a roof tent, etc.   He has driven it all over North America off-roading with his family including to Alaska.  Must have picked his grandparents and parents wisely.   😉  

CB, four of my friends had FJ40's back in the day.  Low speed, un-airconditioned trucks, but could pull up stumps.  I've seen a few reconditioned FJ40's around town driven by students at the local art college.  At least one of them was by Cool Cruisers who do off the frame restorations and add AC.   Back when Cool Cruisers was selling them for $35,000 I thought that was a lot of money. The FJ Cruiser has developed a cult following and prices for the used ones are soaring.  Its blind spot is only exceeded by a panel truck from the 1950s.  Gil

Cooter Brown
2 hours ago, GLS said:

CB, four of my friends had FJ40's back in the day.  Low speed, un-airconditioned trucks, but could pull up stumps.

My FJ40 had AC.  There was a little spring loaded vent on each side in front of the doors.  You could open and close it with your foot.  Didn't even have to take your hands off the enormous steering wheel.  When the dust on the floorboard settled it provided a nice breeze on your feet as long as you kept moving.

Here's a picture of one in the closed position.  No battery power required.

FJ40VentPhoto.jpg.2320fd4361125e918abab8fe4c3e668a.jpg

GLS

Nice thing about the foot operated AC on you FJ40 is that you didn't need a Factory trained Toyota tech to repair it.  Worse problem would be solved with the help of a podiatrist.  Gil

Rockdoc

I knew a guy in college who had a Chevrolet powered Land Cruiser, he called it his Toylet.

Steve

Curt

I bought a new Land Cruiser, the 60 series in 1986.  Back then they were a far cry from the yuppie luxury rig they are today.  6 cylinders, floor mounted 4 speed stick, manual hubs, spartan interior.  When locked into four wheel drive it could go just about anywhere.  It was a cool vehicle, built like a tank but the highway ride was really stiff and the gas mileage was around 12 mpg.  Of course gas was cheap back then so it didn't matter much.  I wish now I had hung on to it.

GLS

For the Toyota Fanboy in you know who you are:

Hammergun

As you all know I love mine. But I just picked up a 2016 Four Runner for a company truck and it’s a great truck too for half the price. So it’s really about personal preference 

BDB5F770-42AD-4C4F-9057-160511E19353.jpeg