Sign in to follow this  
interlochen

Great day on the Great Lakes

interlochen

A friend and I squeezed in a hunt yesterday afternoon before the deep freeze at one of Michigan's managed waterfowl areas.  For the first time in thirty years, I drew first and we were able to select an area where the birds wanted to be.  We had birds in the decoys all afternoon and took turns shooting until we reached our two man limit.  Even better, I shot my first drake pintail.  They are not very common in Michigan.  This was also the first good shoot I've had over my hand carved decoys.

ducks3 7nov19.jpg

ducks1 7nov19 (2).jpg

steveziv

Wow, looks like a great day, glad you got out there!

Irishwhistler

NICE HUNT👍.   Congratulations on the Sprig.👌

Irishwhistler ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Dick Sellers

Congratulations!  If you've posted any photos of your decoys, I missed it.  I'm sure several of us would be interested to hear more about them. 

quailguy
9 minutes ago, Dick Sellers said:

Congratulations!  If you've posted any photos of your decoys, I missed it.  I'm sure several of us would be interested to hear more about them. 

Yep, lessee the decoys please.   

SxSetter

That looks like a great hunt, very nice birds!  They have flooded corn in the Managed area? Pretty sweet.

interlochen

IMG_0756.thumb.JPG.4a0a839c88ba19ba3d8d5a9ab8c9548e.JPGIMG_0876.thumb.JPG.16ff229d6a692b75ec8d5fd65ebdfdaf.JPG

I make these over the winter, usually somewhere between six and a dozen.  They're solid high density cork with basswood heads and glass eyes.  I paint them with acrylics.  The keels are either white or red oak with some lead in them so that they self right when you toss them out.

Wigeon with decoy.jpg

Mr Spoon in New Mexico.jpg

Dick Sellers

Wow, those are the real deal!  Beautiful, and obviously functional

Jack L

Great looking deeks

Rick Hall
On 11/8/2019 at 3:24 PM, interlochen said:

This was also the first good shoot I've had over my hand carved decoys.

That alone would make it mighty special.  Congrats.

Jazz4Brazo

Amazing craftsmanship on this decoys...really cool and I'd be stoked to have shot over and harvested birds...nice outcome and congrats on a great all around day!!!

J4B

CdnWingShooter

Congratulations! Great hunt and beautiful dekes! The memory of that hunt should keep you warm over the winter. 👍

WI Outdoor Nut
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:24 PM, interlochen said:

A friend and I squeezed in a hunt yesterday afternoon before the deep freeze at one of Michigan's managed waterfowl areas.  For the first time in thirty years, I drew first and we were able to select an area where the birds wanted to be.  We had birds in the decoys all afternoon and took turns shooting until we reached our two man limit.  Even better, I shot my first drake pintail.  They are not very common in Michigan.  This was also the first good shoot I've had over my hand carved decoys.

ducks3 7nov19.jpg

ducks1 7nov19 (2).jpg

The front four ducks - those aren't all black ducks, are they?

interlochen

No, two black ducks in the back and four hen mallards up front.

Tim Frazier

Just fantastic!  Love those decoys, can't imagine the satisfaction of taking birds over decoys you made yourself!