Birdcountry70

Prairie Mulies

Birdcountry70

Just got home from a 2 day mule deer hunt. I got one Thursday morning and my nephew got a really nice one this morning.  Mine came out in my backpack but he was lucky enough to drop his right on a two track so we could bring the pick up right to it. 

IMG_20191107_101606088_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191108_085122773.jpg

Edited by Birdcountry70
Computer glitch

SODAKer

How does mule deer taste in comparison to whitetail?

Birdcountry70
4 hours ago, SODAKer said:

Some people say they can't tell the difference but I believe I can.  Whitetail being the better of the two.  I also have never had a bad whitetail but occasionally mule deer can be much gamier tasting, especially if it's during the rut and they have a big swelled up neck.  We haven't tried the meat of these two yet but I'm thinking it'll be good.  They both got cooled down quickly and neither one seemed to be rutting yet.

IMG_3783.jpg

sharptail grouse
13 hours ago, SODAKer said:

I've never been able to tell the difference if the meat is handled properly. But that's just me.

Big Al

I've never tasted a difference.  

terrym

Nice looking deer. A mule deer hunt is on my bucket list but I hear it’s getting very expensive. 

Birdcountry70
36 minutes ago, terrym said:

Nice looking deer. A mule deer hunt is on my bucket list but I hear it’s getting very expensive. 

I assume you are talking about a guided hunt.  I think a person could do their homework and plan a public land mule deer hunt from their home computer.  Probably expect to spend a bit of time figuring places out and have a backup area ready in case there was reason to move. Choose areas within distance of a cheap motel or use a tent or camper. It might take a trip or 3 to figure out but lots of folks do it.

terrym
24 minutes ago, Birdcountry70 said:

I assume you are talking about a guided hunt.  I think a person could do their homework and plan a public land mule deer hunt from their home computer.  Probably expect to spend a bit of time figuring places out and have a backup area ready in case there was reason to move. Choose areas within distance of a cheap motel or use a tent or camper. It might take a trip or 3 to figure out but lots of folks do it.

Yeah, thinking guided. Living in Ontario trips out there to scout aren’t near practical and with limited vacation time to work with also. Don’t want to actually “hunt” with a guide need to be put in an area with game and access. We did that for pronghorn and it worked great but they’re a pretty abundant animal. 

406dn

I have never tasted any difference between whitetail or mule deer.

A self guided mule deer hunt is very doable for anyone with some big game experience. Day before yesterday while having breakfast in a cafe when bird hunting,, I sat next to two guys from Georgia who had killed a nice mule deer buck the previous day. They were hunting on land accessible to anyone. If you do some homework before coming out, you can have success.

SxSetter

Very Nice!