Sign in to follow this  
Pleasant Ridge

Wading boots

Pleasant Ridge

I’ve owned the same wading boots for many years and have begun looking to purchase a new pair.  
I have looked at Korkers Dark Horse. It is a BOA system and the bottoms are convertible. Has anyone had any experience with them or any other suggestions?

gaberdeen

I have them and have been very pleased with them. Fit is good for me and I like the interchangeable soles.

sharptail grouse

I don't have any experience with Korkers but I have been pretty satisfied with Simms Guide boots. Spendy but they have great support and have held up well. 

Marc Ret

I have had several pairs of Korkers but none with the current BOA laces. Nothing but praise for them. Comfortable and have held up well. The interchangeable soles are good idea if you need choices but I rarely swap them out. 

oldbird

I have enjoyed the pair I have with the boa system. Easy to get in and out of. The interchangeable soles come in handy once it snows. I remove the felt and use the rubber. I fish the same river system so the felt works great. I have other boots I use when I travel.

Spin

I've been using a pair of size #14 wide Sketchers running shoes I bought on clearance for about $24.00 around 3 or 4 yrs. ago

Leather uppers are still in great shape. So are the gel insoles, in fact they are by far the most comfortable pair of "Wading Boots"

I've ever had .  I only wish they were a bit higher  so as to offer a bit more protection for my ankles. Good useful treads and real

cushion soles, lightweight they really are an improvement.

I grew up wading, my favorite type of angling, and like my Father's generation, an old pair of sneakers were standard equipment. 

I only wish I'd of gone back sooner rather then spending literally hundreds of dollars before doing so. 

(BTW, have you noticed how many different brands of wading boots are now making Athletic style lightweight boots in so many different 

iterations.)

WMassGriff
On 11/28/2019 at 10:08 AM, Pleasant Ridge said:

I’ve owned the same wading boots for many years and have begun looking to purchase a new pair.  
I have looked at Korkers Dark Horse. It is a BOA system and the bottoms are convertible. Has anyone had any experience with them or any other suggestions?

Two seasons with them with NO issues. I used the rubber soles for the first time this summer in Labrador and believe me they suck in the river but are good for just hiking or mud. Around my area I use either studded felt or just felt. They are light and fit me fine and I would buy them again.

Pleasant Ridge
2 hours ago, Spin said:

I've been using a pair of size #14 wide Sketchers running shoes I bought on clearance for about $24.00 around 3 or 4 yrs. ago

Leather uppers are still in great shape. So are the gel insoles, in fact they are by far the most comfortable pair of "Wading Boots"

I've ever had .  I only wish they were a bit higher  so as to offer a bit more protection for my ankles. Good useful treads and real

cushion soles, lightweight they really are an improvement.

I grew up wading, my favorite type of angling, and like my Father's generation, an old pair of sneakers were standard equipment. 

I only wish I'd of gone back sooner rather then spending literally hundreds of dollars before doing so. 

(BTW, have you noticed how many different brands of wading boots are now making Athletic style lightweight boots in so many different 

iterations.)

In the summer when wet wading, I have glued felt to the bottom of tennis shoes. It works. 

Spin

1 hour ago, Pleasant Ridge said:

In the summer when wet wading, I have glued felt to the bottom of tennis shoes. It works. 

I like felt and the very first pair of wading boots I ever had were simply flat soled heavy duty, rubberized canvas tennis shoes with drain

hole eyelets and simple waterproof smooth material foot beds. I believe they actually were made by Keds. They lasted decades until

one of my feet ripped through the entire side of the boot toe to heel. They had been looking tired for some time already and I had stuck a

pair of Neoprene flats boots in the back of my vest. I had to call it a day and had to walk back a couple of painful rock covered miles in basically

a pair of foam rubber dive boots.

Felt's great for algae covered rock, top notch no doubt about it, but it is pretty bad for wet slick grass or leaf or thick pine needle covered, steep sloped stream banks. (Gravity Sucks)

Not the best on mud as you mentioned either. The worse application for that kind of sole is however  - (drum roll) -  Snow!

Up in these parts in early season there is quite frequently snow cover on the ground and Baby wet felt packs on several inches of snow to the

bottom of your feet faster than you can say Bob's your Uncle. It's also been responsible for coming unglued from the uppers top sole. The only

thing that saved the day twice (once for me and another for a friend's son when it happened to him ?  The several feet of Gorilla Tape that I carried

for quick fixing torn or punctured waders or rain gear. (Don't leave home without it and a fire striker as well)

Pleasant Ridge

Thanks all for your replies. I purchased a pair of Korkers Dark Horse today.