Sign in to follow this  
settem

Fried Oysters

Ben Hong
12 minutes ago, Spiller said:

That must be Herringchoker thing because a couple of years ago, I was on a motorcycle tour of the Maritimes and I had not only oysters on the half shell, but also fried oysters at a hole in the wall place called the Malpeque Oyster Barn overlooking Malpeque Bay.  In fact the fried Malpeques they served were wildly popular. 

Haha! Yeah, they attract a lot tourists✌️xD. Look, anyone who uses the proper epithet, "Herringchoker," to describe us New Brunswickers is alright by me!

Spiller
5 minutes ago, Ben Hong said:

Haha! Yeah, they attract a lot tourists✌️xD. Look, anyone who uses the proper epithet, "Herringchoker," to describe us New Brunswickers is alright by me!

I like to fish for Atlantic Salmon even more than I like upland hunting, so I have heard the lingo up around those parts. I like to immerse myself in local culture.😉

gunsrus
On 11/30/2019 at 10:03 AM, Recoil Rob said:

My "Home Port" is Norwalk, CT which has a historically abundant oyster population around the Norwalk Islands. Weather permitting I can go harvest my own. My favorite method for maximum crunch is light flour, egg wash dip and then a 50/50 mixture of medium grind cornmeal and panko, deep fry!

July-4-2008.jpg

IMG-1330.jpg

IMG-1331.jpg

IMG-1334.jpg

IMG-1336.jpg

IMG-1337.jpg

Norwalk's not that far away 😍

Ben Hong
1 hour ago, Spiller said:

I like to fish for Atlantic Salmon even more than I like upland hunting, so I have heard the lingo up around those parts. I like to immerse myself in local culture.😉

I don't know what waters (rivers) you generally go to, but I would be honoured to meet up on your next trip.

GLS

Joe, where I buy fish, shrimp and oysters, the owner makes a weekly trip to Bluffton to the local oyster/ crab house on the May River to pick up fresh, shucked oysters from the May River.  As you note, truly top notch.  I typically eat them "as is" on a Saltine with Tabasco or a cocktail sauce I make.

I looked at the youtube scalloped oyster recipe you posted--it's how we do it.   Holidays only!

A late friend and hunting buddy violated GA. Tech team curfew in NOLA and was caught by coaches at the Acme Oyster Bar in the  1960s.  He was kicked off the team by Bobby Dodd as a result.  When he told me the story, he couldn't stop laughing.  We had been discussing NOLA food and I mentioned Acme.  Gil

SelbyLowndes
23 hours ago, Spiller said:

I can't really say I ever ate an oyster I didn't like but I gotta say I am partial to Apalachicolas. 

Sadly, our GA/FL water wars over the Flint/Chattahoochee/Apalachicola drainage have pretty much killed off the Apalachicola Bay oyster beds...SelbyLowndes

quailguy

I must say I am very pleased with all the fried oyster lovers here on UJ. I might even steal a recipe or two. Carry on!

jeff88

Just had these last Friday night at Caracol in Houston, they used Appalachicola oysters, they were outstanding:

OSTIONES ASADOS

wood-roasted Gulf oysters chipotle butter

Recoil Rob
On 12/1/2019 at 12:44 PM, RayB said:

Recoil Bob those are perfect, if you are ever in NO try the grilled oysters at the Acme Ouster House

I was in NO for about a week about 20 years ago. My girlfriend was working the business aircraft trade show so I had most days to myself. Lunch everyday was spent standing at the Acme raw bar quaffing oysters.

When I was there the "Leader in the Clubhouse" was up to 32 doz at a sitting, I hear now its up to 44 dozen. I usually stopped at 2 dozen. Otherwise she might have been scared to come back to the hotel room...