WPG Gizmo

Early start to the winter

Big Al

Yawn

River19

It's winter.  It snows.  Settling in for the 4-5 months of Winter.......comes every year.

Embrace the winter activities......got the snowshoes ready to go, Nancy picked up a new XC ski setup and the fat bikes will be ready to go in a couple weeks once trails get packed, groomed and setup......

Deer season still alive in some places and the dogs will get a couple more runs for grouse still before 12/31.  Then I can join some friends in their wabbit hunting through spring.....

Buckle up.....

WPG Gizmo

Some winter advice if you see a plow truck on the road during a storm stay away from them we are exempt from the DOT requirements so most of us will have been behind the wheel plowing for 20+ hours when you get into the middle of a storm.  Letting us do our job makes it safer for everyone out there in the long run.

Believe me I would much rather be at home with a fire going petting the dogs thinking about the next hunt but someone has to do this.

If you have to go out give yourself plenty of time to get where your going.

quailguy

30 degrees and rain in my part of NE PA. Been that way since about 0800L.  

WPG Gizmo

19 + and it's still snowing 3 hours sleep since 6am Sunday hopefully we get to go home tonight 🤯

terrym
On 11/30/2019 at 10:41 PM, Uplander said:

We’re ready.

B24280B3-AF9C-42F8-9135-244D781C9A9E.jpeg

She scares me a l’il bit. But in a good way 😎

Larry Brown

In the Upper Midwest, snowstorms any time from Thanksgiving on aren't necessarily typical, but they're not exactly uncommon either.  To have been "blessed" with two of them--one leading up to Thanksgiving and the other one over the weekend--is a bit much.  The weekend one put a crimp in the plans of those who wanted to hunt the tail end of gun deer season in Wisconsin.

My hunting notes remind me that outdoor writer Steve Grooms and a friend came down to my place in east central Iowa on the heels of a Thanksgiving blizzard in 1985. The wind chill was in the -30 to -40 range the first day.  My pointers showed intelligence by wanting no part of it.  We hunted with Steve's friend's Lab and Steve's springer.  By the 3rd day of the hunt, I noted that the weather was much better . . . temps in the single digits.  We did shoot birds.  While I was much younger back then, I was still old enough to know better..  Pretty much the nastiest pheasant hunting weather I can recall.