nutmeg grouser

Tire Chains or Tire "Socks"

nutmeg grouser

OK - Thinking about a late season grouse hunt up in northern N.E. and want to give myself a fighting chance on the northern logging roads to access some of my better covers. I have a 2018 f150 4wd truck with better then good skins on it. Would either chains or the tire "socks" give me a better chance at getting into the back roads ? Was anyone used the tire "socks"?

Thanks,

nutmeg grouser

Forgot to mention form what i am hearing there is 6-10" of snow. I am sure the logging trucks have it beat down though. Will chains or socks work well enough in unpacked snow?

Thanks,

grouse28

If you’re talking the Maine Northwoods, I would have second thoughts about traveling those roads. The only ones that will be open are the active trucking roads, logically. They can be dangerous to travel with the trucks running on them. Chains would be a must on side roads. A Murs radio would almost be a necessity, to inform truckers of your whereabouts and theirs. Remember 10” of snow can become 30” in a short span of time. Trudging after grouse in deep snow, I would run out of fun real fast. And forget snowshoes in grouse covers.

Drummers Stump might add to this, as he is expert of all things North Maine Woods.

Birdcountry70

Sounds like good advice above. As for snow socks I haven't tried them, only seen videos etc available on line and pictures of shredded ones. They look like they are meant for cars to get over a pass and that's about it. Tire chains however have saved my bacon many times. A four wheel drive chained up on all four will get you into all sorts of places you probably shouldn't go. 😉

co_setter
1 hour ago, Birdcountry70 said:

Tire chains however have saved my bacon many times. A four wheel drive chained up on all four will get you into all sorts of places you probably shouldn't go. 😉

Getting back there is optional, it's the getting out that is mandatory.

quailguy
51 minutes ago, co_setter said:

Getting back there is optional, it's the getting out that is mandatory.

Nearly slid sideways off a very sloppy mountain road south of Rifle in Colorado one year. All chained up and in 4wd positraction.  Big sweat for about 20 seconds until the drive caught something solid and we went forward.  4wd gets you stuck further from help has been my mantra ever since. I’ve got it, but I’m a little more careful using it than I used to be.  

Keith E. Carlson

4 x 4, AT tires , chains, all good but high centered is "stuck".

If you keep on going in deep snow rather than turn around when you can, pray for a truck to tow you out.

Been there, done that.

NW River Mac

Not sure how far north you are going and when.  On the 15th no vehicles can be on any road used as a snowmobile trail.  Much north of Bangor/Lincoln I think you will find that side roads will be sketchy at best.  The same goes for Western Maine. I hunted this weekend where snowmobiles and trucks are using the roads.  It makes for a very unstable base that can easily let you slide into the ditches.  The weather is still cold will be for the next week except for two days.  I don't see much melting or lowering of the snowpack.  

What you are doing is quite reasonable and achievable with some common sense.  Bring a shovel, chains, sand and long tow straps and you should be able to find plenty of birds. 

nutmeg grouser

All good advise as usual. I will give a full report if and when i get back!

Thanks

WMassGriff

I have used diamond chains (easy on and off) when I hunted Jackman Area, but mostly relied on studded tires as the packed trails were mostly ice or near ice and very slippery. Bring good winch and shovels too as getting high centered negates chains.