atticus

The Berkshires

atticus

The upland season ended here in Massachusetts yesterday.  It was a fun season out there and all the dogs did terrific.  Bird numbers were ok--not great, but enough to keep the Setters interested.  Scout (almost 13) and Boo (11) got a cover each trip out but it was Jem who did most of the work and he continues to amaze--its clear he is related to Scout.   

Some pics from November in Massachusetts

Abandoned places

IMG_0722-X2.jpg

IMG_0806-X3.jpg

IMG_0660-X3.jpg

IMG_0662-X3.jpg

IMG_0704-X3.jpg

IMG_0752-X3.jpg

IMG_0808-X2.jpg

IMG_0753-X3.jpg

Believe it or not.... there was a Bigfoot sighting a couple weeks ago in the area.  It does look squachy in some places.

IMG_0670-X3.jpg

IMG_0671-X3.jpg

IMG_0685-X3.jpg

Sharon on a favorite abandoned road

IMG_0725-X2.jpg

BntSetter was good enough to show me around an area of central Massachusetts.  We found grouse and woodcock in some beautiful covers.

59517637734__3DA8521D-DBCC-4AAB-A480-4EB

IMG_0696-X3.jpg

IMG_0700-X3.jpg

IMG_0702-X3.jpg

Of course I forgot my boots that day--I did 6.5 miles in my mocs.  Thankfully it was dry but I was pulling thorns out of my ankles for hours.

59517502037__681E9BD2-6290-4D94-97EC-35B

Field lunches

IMG_0754-X3.jpg

IMG_0793-X3.jpg

Scout

IMG_0727-X2.jpg

Scout with a retrieve to hand--of a pheasant she killed in the yard.

IMG_0712-X3.jpg

Jem easing into the off season

IMG_0803-X3.jpg

Boo toasting another great season in the Berkshire grouse woods

59469302552__7AF18698-F13E-4070-94C0-1AA

Now to fill my buck tag....

Fire Marshal Bill

I thought the 7th pic down was Keith and his EP. Nice photos and covers. 

gunsrus

Execllent Billy ! I'm feeling it , this is your year . The buck stops here , good luck .

River19

Always a good time out there Billy.  I enjoyed the time I spent there over the years and the one time I headed out there this season.

Until next year......

That being said, I think I have a couple more runs in me in the snow provided things aren't icy......we shall see.

Quig

Great pictures. That lock in the tree is a interesting thing

atticus
6 hours ago, Quig said:

That lock in the tree is a interesting thing

We have taken a bunch of pictures of it over the years.  If you look close there are actually several rifle cases in behind the lock. 

Swampy 16
19 hours ago, atticus said:

The upland season ended here in Massachusetts yesterday.  It was a fun season out there and all the dogs did terrific.  Bird numbers were ok--not great, but enough to keep the Setters interested.  Scout (almost 13) and Boo (11) got a cover each trip out but it was Jem who did most of the work and he continues to amaze--its clear he is related to Scout.   

Some pics from November in Massachusetts

Abandoned places

IMG_0722-X2.jpg

IMG_0806-X3.jpg

IMG_0660-X3.jpg

IMG_0662-X3.jpg

IMG_0704-X3.jpg

IMG_0752-X3.jpg

IMG_0808-X2.jpg

IMG_0753-X3.jpg

Believe it or not.... there was a Bigfoot sighting a couple weeks ago in the area.  It does look squachy in some places.

IMG_0670-X3.jpg

Are you sure it wasn’t Brad?

Chukarman

Thanks for the photos, Billy. Merry Christmas.

uplandnut30

Do you worry about old wells with all the old farmsteads back east?  My friend does photography of old farmsteads, they always fascinate me.

atticus
31 minutes ago, uplandnut30 said:

Do you worry about old wells with all the old farmsteads back east?  My friend does photography of old farmsteads, they always fascinate me.

I do worry about them.  Unfortunately those abandoned farms are the best grouse cover.  I've never had an issue, but I know Ted Moore (TNWCC) had his Gordon Fiona fall in one.  I think having a Garmin collar helped him out.

Swampy 16

That’s scary stuff. I have some covers in PA with massive coal shafts that are wide open and go straight down. I think I’d take the well over a coal shaft any day but would rather avoid both. I’m shocked they haven’t been dealt with. There are a few at the base of the valley that the game commission has blown in but these are wide open. If man or dogs goes in one of these it’s over Rover. I’m not even sure an EPERB would be able to make satellite contact if you did survive the fall. I threw some large stones in them and you could hear them bouncing off the walls on the way down for quite while but the sound eventually got faint and you could no longer hear it. I wonder how many bears have inspected these as potential dens over the years and fallen in? Could they be that stupid? I wouldn’t be surprised if there were a pile of bones at the bottom. These are said to be over 100 years old, and there are more I just didn’t take pics of all of them.7BF5CA75-683A-442A-911F-F9D16484ABCE.thumb.jpeg.0dc295f97496ab4b9a791de406071ee4.jpegAAB5ECBE-8E63-4056-88A4-47C06B9E6753.thumb.jpeg.246ec945e251a4bf02d6a29513ef9843.jpeg

Brad Eden

Open wells are one of the hazards we face in the northeast. As Atticus said, old abandoned and grown over homesteads are the best grouse cover, and there is usually a well lurking somewhere. I get to know where the wells are and cover them when I find them if they are open. But I have hunted cover for years and them stumbled upon a well. Deer succumb to open wells a lot. Ive found dead deer floating in them before. The late great Jake fell in an open well in a new cover we were hunting for the first time. As luck would have it we had experienced torrential rain the night and day before and it was almost filled to the brim. He went in, popped up and scrambled out. 

I found this unusual concrete capped open well a couple years back while turkey hunting. I had stopped hunting my dogs in that piece due to people dumping construction debris and glass etc. Under the cap it was the typical dug well, round and lined with granite rocks. I covered it with branches etc.

IMG_0720.JPGIMG_0721.JPG

Don Steese

Very nice Billy! I haven't hunted in the northeast for the past couple years and I miss that kind of cover! 

bntsetter
On 12/1/2019 at 7:27 PM, Fire Marshal Bill said:

I thought the 7th pic down was Keith and his EP. Nice photos and covers. 

Good Eyes Wayne. ;) As always Billy you are great with a camera.

Keith