Tim Frazier

First handgun deer

Tim Frazier

So I have often talked about hunting deer with a handgun as I have had a fondness for Ruger single actions since I bought my Single Six at 13. I’ve had a few Blackhawks but always grabbed a long gun when it was time to head out the door. So last year I picked up a nice 3 screw Super Blackhawk and at last nights deer dinner my future SIL and some others where saying how cool it would be if I got a deer with it as I shoot it pretty well. 

So so this morning I had both it and the 45-70 out and this time grabbed the Super.  It was a dreary morning with little shooting. About 8 I told my SIL to slowly come on over to the big stand as it was raining and I had to go check on my wife who is still in a cast and put the chickens out. 

Some shooting from the south happened shortly after that but quite always off. JR was coming from the west but moving slow. Pretty sure this spike winded him heading north which put it near me. The little buck paused at about 40 yards looking at me. He turned his head but not his body and I knew he might bolt.  I held center on his chest and he dropped in place when the 300gn XTP hit. 

Going to be tough to leave the pistol behind now!  Ha!

8998A50C-B704-4739-ADAC-DC8DE8C08CD7.jpeg

Virgil Kane

Nice shooting !!!

Handgun hunting and being successful is like being on drugs, hard to kick the habit.

Virgil

PS, love the hat

Wirehair

Thats awesome!

Clueless1

That's really cool Tim!

kgb

Nice start to handgunning for deer!  I got my Blackhawk at age 18 and it's the only one I haven't used on deer yet.  Hoping to change that in January, and with a shot as true as yours.

Brad Eden

That's wicked....cool! 

Spiller

Kuel...

I'd really like to kill a deer with a handgun someday before I push up some daisies.

AFAIAC, it's pretty friggin' hard with a bow, a rifle, a shotgun or a smokepole...but I'd really like to do it someday.....congrats....That's a trophy for sure...

Birdcountry70

Nice! I was unsuccessful with the revolvers this year. Spent 3 evenings trying for a doe and watched a nice mule deer buck graze by beyond pistol range but ultimately killed my mule deer buck and antelope buck with the 25-06. I'm thinking of putting a red dot reflex sight on my super Blackhawk, getting tough to see the sights clearly. Darn bifocals!

Tim Frazier
28 minutes ago, Birdcountry70 said:

I'm thinking of putting a red dot reflex sight on my super Blackhawk, getting tough to see the sights clearly. Darn bifocals!

I thought the same thing as I sat on stand!  I had some bright orange fingernail polish on the front blade but I really think if I could put a tasteful optic on it I would use it all the time.

rrr.jpg

Tim Frazier

The other item of note;  I don't think I would have done this without electronic ear protection.  I'm not always a fan of technology but they worked really well and made it pleasant to fire a fairly loud weapon.  I spent some time in the dark adjusting them so that I could hear the creek but not more so than without them and that seemed to help with any static.

Marc Ret

I think someone's fibbin'... that sure looks like a .45 caliber hole from here.😉

Congrats, Tim. 

Brad Eden

Ive looked and can't find it. What caliber? Ive often thought about trying a Handgun for deer, but our Maine firearm limits are so thin as in ONE a year, Ive never made the leap. (Of course there are other  opportunities in a management bow deer season but only buck (or doe if you drew a permit), with a firearm, including muzzleloader.)

How many deer are you allowed where you preside Bearded Man, I mean Tim?

Virgil Kane

The trick to shooting irons with glasses is to have a set of glasses just for that.  The glasses should focus on the front sight and although the rest of the sight picture is blurry, rear sight and target the kill zone is big so just center hold and your good.  That is unless your eye sight is so bad that if you focus on the front sight your blind to everything else.  In that case a red dot or scope is in order.

Virgil

Virgil Kane
6 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Ive looked and can't find it. What caliber?

Super Blackhawk only comes in one caliber, .44 Mag

Marc Ret
32 minutes ago, Virgil Kane said:

Super Blackhawk only comes in one caliber, .44 Mag

I'm not sure if Ruger is still producing them but they did put out a Super Blackhawk Hunter in .41 Magnum some time in the last few years. Not the original SB like Tim's though,  just the stainless "Hunter" model.