REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
mccuha

Thinking of getting a utv

mccuha
1 hour ago, SelbyLowndes said:

I bought an electric powered bad boy buggy a few years ago to use for put out quail "hunting".  It is quiet and works pretty well, but when the batteries go bad it's $900 to refuel...SelbyLowndes

I thought about electric but that was one of the reasons I am looking else where. The other reason is they just don't have the power to haul stuff. .

marsingbob

I have a 2016 Yamaha Viking.  Over 5000 miles and I am happy with it.

john mcg

At first I thought you said, UTI.

dgfavor
20 hours ago, mccuha said:

want use it on trails. Just our property doing chores, used for hunting and used in TX on my quail property.  50/50 work/hunt.

I think for work n play the CanAm Defender Pro is great option.  Thinking of trading my Ranger for one.  In addition to hunting/roading dogs/goofing off I use my Ranger to pull a 200gal. pasture sprayer, I haul water up to my wildlife guzzlers when they dry up in summer months, I run around my small pastures with it gathering small hay bales up to run back to store in the barn.  At times its overloaded pretty good.  The Defender Pro has bigger bed and payload, easily converts to flatbed then back, more torque, bigger cab...more workhorse but still very fun capable.  Saw one down at local motorsports place other day...they had a big road motorcycle in the bed.

bobman

My wife’s friend has an older Kawasaki mule that gets poor Maintenance if any and is used daily on their horse farm it’s never down, very reliable and simple.

Its at least 10 years old I bet and looks bad but works great

mccuha

Thanks for all the info and suggestions.  I’ve doing some investigating on my own as well. Ive been thinking about the mule. Ive got a buddy that has one.  He really likes it. He works for the sheriffs department here and said they have one for a long time with very little problems. He as well asked of the best motorcycle repair guys in town what he recommended based off of what he sees every day.  He said that the mule would be what he would get for dependability. As he never has them in the shop to repair.   The can a.m. is interesting.  I saw that long bed they have.  It d be nice to have but not sure I’d need it that much.  As long as I could haul a trailer with it   It would fit the bill

watermen
7 hours ago, bobman said:

Kubota might be worth a look as well if you are more interested in reliability than speed.  Can be easier to find used as well. 

terrym

You can also equip the Kubota with a sealed cab you can heat or Air Condition. Diesel option too. 

mccuha

Yes , durability and reliability are more important to me than speed.  I also concerned with price. Heat and ac are nice but not necessary to me.  We have a Kubota dealer in town. Also a jd dealer. No motorcycle dealers in town so I’ll have to travel to look at them. In reviews I’ve looked at on top rated UTVs, Kubota and jd are never talked about.  Not really sure why

Coveyrise64

2018 Polaris 900XP no problems. The key with any is to keep them maintained. Added a couple of my own options. Used mostly for training but I do have a couple of places I can use it to hunt off of.

20190919_164258.thumb.jpg.17514907212622287fec64e1fdd2f0d2.jpg

20190925_185213.thumb.jpg.88ccb4adde134b2051b0abc26e91a7cc.jpg20190925_190439.thumb.jpg.8adb34080bd6724631b02f233f9021a4.jpg

dgfavor

Right on Coveyrise.  Similar to my current setup on the  old 700XP. 

I like roading with dogs on same side where i can see em better.  

watermen

I like that setup for the boxes DG. 😎

max2

Around these parts The J-D Gators & Kubota's seem to be the most popular.

Coveyrise64
11 hours ago, dgfavor said:

I like roading with dogs on same side where i can see em better.  

Nice setup and a better use of wasted space for sure!

I used 3/4" BC plywood for the base with a coat of polyurethane then black paint. Added GripPro UTV anchors to hold it to the side rails. A cordless drill with a socket attached makes quick work for removing. I plan on the crates for the storage area.

Yeah, roading both from one side would be better but one of mine likes to play grab a$$ when I hook them up together. My Polaris has power steering so it is easy to set in the middle of the seat so I can see both dogs. I'd like to see pictures of your rear roading receiver mount. I like that option but like the fact I can slide the extensions in for storage when not in use. The extensions come in handy as a tie out when needed too.  Provided a friend who has a computer aided plasma cutter with a template for the front brackets. He made quick work of those and the tubing that so all I needed was 4 bolts and a couple of u-bolts to mount to the front. I have to trailer mine when I want to use it so I added a front receiver to make parking the trailer a little easier when not in use. Used e-track and wheel chocks on the trailer to make sure I load the utv in same place on the trailer. This makes it quicker/easier when strapping it down and keeps the tongue weight where I want it when rolling down the highway.

20190919_165021.thumb.jpg.0586ee3e8bb0c618e686984a5c4b44bb.jpg

20191222_091429.thumb.jpg.36e9da612dfee0563b904e9724b90344.jpg

cr

blanked

How many hours on a reliable UTV would be considered just getting broke in

if looking at the used market