REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
mccuha

Thinking of getting a utv

blanked

Is it fair to say buying a 1000 in any brand decreases the reliability compared to a 500 or 700 substantially?

fourtrax57
On 12/30/2019 at 6:55 AM, bobman said:

you left out what model you ended up with?

Bought a 2009 yamaha rhino with low miles. far better ride and slightly larger machine

bobman

How many dog boxes can you rig on one

Chukarman

I like the IDEA OF A UTV, but have an F350 4X4with 4 buuilt in dog boxes, two Lancruisers, and a old Willys Jeep. Do I need a UTV? Prolly not.

Auto-5

My brother had one of the smaller 2x4 mules for a while a 550cc I believe. We drove that thing all over the farm crossing creeks ,thickets and over even smaller downed trees. Both of us are about 6’5”. And have a combined weight of approx 450- 500 lbs. we looked like two circus bears on a bike but that thing never faltered. I was really impressed.  I recently bought a old Honda big red 250cc 4wheeler and took it to my buddies farm to use getting deer off the top of the ridge. It too has plenty power to haul a adult and drag a deer around his 70 acre farm. 

WhatsDaPoint

Has anyone heard any reviews about a Roxor ?

I love all things manual transmission. 

WI Outdoor Nut
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 8:10 PM, bobman said:

How many dog boxes can you rig on one

On my brothers ranger, we stack 4 dog boxes in a 2x2 fashion, all tied down, without issue. 

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 3:53 PM, blanked said:

Is it fair to say buying a 1000 in any brand decreases the reliability compared to a 500 or 700 substantially?

I would say generally speaking, no.  It has more to do with how you take care of the machine than anything else.  I run 1000 cc snowmobiles and no issue putting 10,000 miles on those motors without a hiccup.  4 strokes of course.  Same basic motor in my Yamaha snowmobile as the Yamaha UTV (when comparing the two motors). 

17 hours ago, WhatsDaPoint said:

Has anyone heard any reviews about a Roxor ?

I love all things manual transmission. 

I looked at these as well.  The issue I have is legality.  If you run that on the road, I know you will be stopped for not having it licensed.  if you run it on the trail, you will be stopped because it looks like a jeep.  I just see it as a headache.  Whereas, my hunting grounds, UTV's can pretty much run on all the secondary roads without issue, and there are atv/utv designated trails as well. 

Flush
On 1/7/2020 at 8:27 AM, WI Outdoor Nut said:

I looked at these as well.  The issue I have is legality.  If you run that on the road, I know you will be stopped for not having it licensed.  if you run it on the trail, you will be stopped because it looks like a jeep.  I just see it as a headache.  Whereas, my hunting grounds, UTV's can pretty much run on all the secondary roads without issue, and there are atv/utv designated trails as well. 

Perhaps in your area that would be an issue, but it would be a non-issue in the western states. Out here off road trails (those that allow any form of non street legal vehicle) fall into three categories

1) Singletrack, dirtbike only

2) ATV or motorcycle and you must be less than 50" wide. Some small UTVs are narrow and designed specifically to meet the requirements of these trails,. Most UTVs don't though.

3) Any off road vehicle including the above. These allow UTVs wider than 50" but also Jeeps,trucks, rock-crawlers etc that are or are not street legal.

To ride on any of the above trails you need a "OHV" permit, whether or not your vehicle is street legal.

Out here there are no special trails that allow UTV's (over 50" wide) but don't allow Jeeps or trucks. I don't even know how you would regulate a trail that allows wide UTV's and not Jeeps? What is the technical difference between a large "UTV" and a Jeep? How do they determine which vehicles are allowed and what aren't? Some UTVs are as big, if not bigger, than Jeeps.

With all that said, while I think the Roxors are "cool" I really don't see the advantage. They won't have the off road capability as a UTV yet they also aren't street legal.

WI Outdoor Nut
4 minutes ago, Flush said:

Perhaps in your area that would be an issue, but it would be a non-issue in the western states. Out here off road trails (those that allow any form of non street legal vehicle) fall into three categories

1) Singletrack, dirtbike only

2) ATV or motorcycle and you must be less than 50" wide. Some small UTVs are narrow and designed specifically to meet the requirements of these trails,. Most UTVs don't though.

3) Any off road vehicle including the above. These allow UTVs wider than 50" but also Jeeps,trucks, rock-crawlers etc that are or are not street legal.

To ride on any of the above trails you need a "OHV" permit, whether or not your vehicle is street legal.

Out here there are no special trails that allow UTV's (over 50" wide) but don't allow Jeeps or trucks. I don't even know how you would regulate a trail that allows wide UTV's and not Jeeps? What is the technical difference between a large "UTV" and a Jeep? How do they determine which vehicles are allowed and what aren't? Some UTVs are as big, if not bigger, than Jeeps.

With all that said, while I think the Roxors are "cool" I really don't see the advantage. They won't have the off road capability as a UTV yet they also aren't street legal.

Hear what you are saying.  For us in WI, I don't think we have that 3rd category you are talking about.  If it is an UTV, it MUST have a off-road registration and sticker, like an ATV.  If in your shoes, I like the idea of the Roxor. 

Flush
54 minutes ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Hear what you are saying.  For us in WI, I don't think we have that 3rd category you are talking about.  If it is an UTV, it MUST have a off-road registration and sticker, like an ATV.  If in your shoes, I like the idea of the Roxor. 

Out of curiosity I just looked at WI's regs online and you do have a special classification for UTV's. There are other attributes a vehicle must meet but a couple of note are max width of 65" and max weight of 2,000lbs. A roxor weighs over 3,000lbs and so would not qualify.

Also interesting to me is also some of the new dual-row Polaris RZRs weigh over 2,000lbs and I know some other UTVs (I think Can Am's) are over 65" wide and therefore technically won't qualify either.

WI Outdoor Nut
1 minute ago, Flush said:

Out of curiosity I just looked at WI's regs online and you do have a special classification for UTV's. There are other attributes a vehicle must meet but a couple of note are max width of 65" and max weight of 2,000lbs. A roxor weighs over 3,000lbs and so would not qualify.

Also interesting to me is also some of the new dual-row Polaris RZRs weigh over 2,000lbs and I know some other UTVs (I think Can Am's) are over 65" wide and therefore technically won't qualify either.

Yup.  I didn't know the exact specs, but you are correct I am sure.  I have never heard of enforcement of the 2000#'s or 65".  However, I do see on occasion where at an ATV/UTV trailhead, there will be two concrete posts that are ~65" wide.  That I am assuming is to enforce the 65" rule.  To be honest, a lot of our trails go through some very tight woods sections, where two atv's are tight, much less to UTV's at 65" meeting head on.  Unlike the great west, you can't see around every corner due to trees and more than one time there has been a close call.  I ride snowmobile a lot more than ATV/UTV's and can be a hair rising experience for sure.  My brother did have another sled bounce off of his on a blind corner.  Minor scratches, so no big deal, but very close to a major event for sure. 

mccuha

To me it would have made a lot more since making the Roxor street legal. you'd have a lot more people interested in one. Id be interested but I'd want to drive it on the streets as well as trails.  I'm not paying that much for an off road vehicle that looks like a jeep that cant be street legal.

RookieEP
2 hours ago, mccuha said:

To me it would have made a lot more since making the Roxor street legal. you'd have a lot more people interested in one. Id be interested but I'd want to drive it on the streets as well as trails.  I'm not paying that much for an off road vehicle that looks like a jeep that cant be street legal.

If street legal then your dealing with epa, safety, the whole cat cadoodle $$$

ThornApple
On 1/1/2020 at 10:12 PM, Chukarman said:

I like the IDEA OF A UTV, but have an F350 4X4with 4 buuilt in dog boxes, two Lancruisers, and a old Willys Jeep. Do I need a UTV? Prolly not.

Chukarman, are you hunting out of your Landcruiser ever or just the Ford?  If so are you using a gun storage box under with kennels on top?  I am switching from Sequoia to LC next season, and my Truck Vault doesnt fit the LC.

zhtrainer

Kawasaki Mule Pro FX---Use it for everything dog related including roading, running dogs, bird care etc. So far after 3 years it has been a tough, reliable machine.

XXX Dog Buggy.JPG