Jump to content
REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
SxSetter

New CRP Enrollment Period Announced

Recommended Posts

sharptail grouse

I think its going to depend a lot on what part of the country you're in. I may be mistaken but I believe much of the $$$ has migrated from the west to the mid west. We are losing a lot of our CRP here in MT. Maybe somebody else can confirm/deny this.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Remo

The last few "signups" soured so many landowners I wonder how many will look at it? At the same time CRP will have to compete against the bail-out payments and all the other farm payments that are more lucrative than conservation. It is intentional of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ndi32

PF guys are indicating there is a good amount of pent up demand due to tough crop markets and a lack of recent sign up opportunities. Will see how it goes.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner

It might be available but doesn't mean they are begging to sign up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SelbyLowndes

All of my gubmit CRP payments have run out. The new signup runs to February.  The payment now is so small and the strings attached, in the form of use control have become so stringent I have pretty much decided to not put anything else back into the programs.  When CRP first came out the payment was in commodity certificates which could be held until a market upswing and produce some decent income.  Now it's just an automatic deposit which is fully taxable...SelbyLowndes  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sharptail grouse
9 minutes ago, SelbyLowndes said:

All of my gubmit CRP payments have run out. The new signup runs to February.  The payment now is so small and the strings attached, in the form of use control have become so stringent I have pretty much decided to not put anything else back into the programs.  When CRP first came out the payment was in commodity certificates which could be held until a market upswing and produce some decent income.  Now it's just an automatic deposit which is fully taxable...SelbyLowndes  

So its still "free money" - just not as much and more of a hassle?

A lot of the stuff that has gone out of contract around here is still in the same ground cover - its just getting hayed or grazed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SelbyLowndes
10 minutes ago, sharptail grouse said:

So its still "free money" - just not as much and more of a hassle?

A lot of the stuff that has gone out of contract around here is still in the same ground cover - its just getting hayed or grazed.

 

Yes...SelbyLowndes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quailguy
On 12/22/2019 at 6:02 PM, Remo said:

The last few "signups" soured so many landowners I wonder how many will look at it? At the same time CRP will have to compete against the bail-out payments and all the other farm payments that are more lucrative than conservation. It is intentional of course.

 

11 hours ago, Ndi32 said:

PF guys are indicating there is a good amount of pent up demand due to tough crop markets and a lack of recent sign up opportunities. Will see how it goes.....

Imho too little $$$ and too much BS and Gummint meddling for many landowners.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sharptail grouse
2 minutes ago, quailguy said:

 

Imho too little $$$ and too much BS and Gummint meddling for many landowners.  

Probably right. I guess that means if we just gave more free money and didn't ask anything of them in return we'd get more landowners to sign up? I live and work among some of these characters. They are the first and loudest whiners about other government welfare programs. Its all I can do to keep my mouth shut. But I have to - I hunt on some of them :$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quailguy
1 hour ago, sharptail grouse said:

Probably right. I guess that means if we just gave more free money and didn't ask anything of them in return we'd get more landowners to sign up? I live and work among some of these characters. They are the first and loudest whiners about other government welfare programs. Its all I can do to keep my mouth shut. But I have to - I hunt on some of them :$

I believe the 2018 farm budget was somewhat more than $20 billion.  

There were then just over 2 million farms according to USDA. That’s about $10 M a farm.  Got nothing else to say about that. 😎

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jack L

I don't mind giving farmers money to not farm. It's better for the environment, water, wildlife and hunting. 

 

They're getting money to not farm, did it not occur that maybe they might have to do something to get the free money?

 

It's called quid pro quo.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quailguy
On 12/24/2019 at 3:37 PM, Jack L said:

I don't mind giving farmers money to not farm. It's better for the environment, water, wildlife and hunting. 

 

They're getting money to not farm, did it not occur that maybe they might have to do something to get the free money?

 

It's called quid pro quo.  

The USDA budget for 2019 is $140 B.

 

https://www.obpa.usda.gov/budsum/fy19budsum.pdf

 

71% or $99 B is for Food Stamps, etc.  

pages 19-20 have some CRP data.  $1.9  B for 24 M acres of CRP. About the same as last year. About 1%  in a $1.4T Federal budget.  

 

So the the dirty secret is out; the USDA budget is really the Nation’s food bank program and 71% of its budget is for food for poor people. The deal is urban legislators vote for Ag programs as payback for mostly urban centers getting food stamps.  And the relatively fewer rural reps vote for food stamps which gets their counterparts support for farms to get slightly less than 30% of the Ag budget.  

 

Now on I don’t begrudge poor folks getting food assistance. Not at all .  Just let it be out in the open.  

 

Edited by quailguy
Correct date

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kansas Big Dog
On 12/23/2019 at 5:19 PM, sharptail grouse said:

if we just gave more free money and didn't ask anything of them in return we'd get more landowners to sign up?

 

That maybe how you look at, but farmers and landowners look at as it is a business decision,  in other words, do they risk farming it, or is it worth more in CRP payments. They do not look at as free money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
s.davis
On 12/24/2019 at 7:39 PM, quailguy said:

The USDA budget for 2019 is $140 B.

 

https://www.obpa.usda.gov/budsum/fy19budsum.pdf

 

71% or $99 B is for Food Stamps, etc.  

pages 19-20 have some CRP data.  $1.9  B for 24 M acres of CRP. About the same as last year. About 1%  in a $1.4T Federal budget.  

 

So the the dirty secret is out; the USDA budget is really the Nation’s food bank program and 71% of its budget is for food for poor people. The deal is urban legislators vote for Ag programs as payback for mostly urban centers getting food stamps.  And the relatively fewer rural reps vote for food stamps which gets their counterparts support for farms to get slightly less than 30% of the Ag budget.  

 

Now on I don’t begrudge poor folks getting food assistance. Not at all .  Just let it be out in the open.  

 

 

A higher percentage of rural Americans use food stamps than urban Americans. And the entire program is less about feeding people than stabilizing agricultural markets by creating a market for overproduced, devalued agricultural commodities. Which is why food stamps are in the farm bill in the first place. They are really just another ag subsidy or market control, which like, CRP, has a fringe benefit. 

 

Not that I have any objection to subsidizing the agricultural economy, or stabilizing the market to protect food security in the country, but it does get tiresome to listen to farmers and rural people pretend they don’t get benefits from our society and our government, sorry...”gubmint” harharhar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×