REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
topdog1961

The Tesla of chainsaws.

topdog1961

I commented in my Black Friday thread that I bought a Jonsered 58v electric chainsaw, mostly on impulse because it was half off at $150. I figured it would be good for small trim jobs around the house, and stealthily clearing under treestands. I let my wife wrap it for me and acted surprised in front of the kids. 

This morning I took it to our river bottom where a large section of a maple fell. I figured I’d use it till the battery puked, just as a test. I took my Stihls along for when that happened. Well, between the cutting, dragging the tree tops away, loading and splitting, I gave out long before the battery did. I was amazed at how well it cut, easily as fast and as powerfully as any gas saw I ever used. It has a turbo button for extra power, at the expense of battery life, but I never needed it. It cut through 12 inch wood like butter, would have did a lot larger but I didn’t want to hand split it. It made all the cuts you see below, still had half battery, and was cutting a well as when full. 

I dare say this is all the saw the average homeowner user needs. And there’s no gas to go sour and no ear protection needed. Charges in 45 min and I love the no tools chain adjustment.  The only knocks I’d give it is weight relative to bar size. This16 inch saw weighs more than my 16 inch gas saw, about as much as my 20 inch. And the battery owners manual said not to use below freezing or above 104. No worry about the latter, but I have cut in some cold weather. 

DA66E6CF-8355-4226-B76F-55AE9D866798.jpeg

72F8F35A-31D8-4C41-910A-C689BA975651.jpeg

21E39358-6AD5-4CDD-A113-2082C6861A1F.jpeg

FBDC7149-D86A-4567-8F41-2776029CC8F1.jpeg

lee sykes

Impressive.  The last I knew, Jred and Husky were under the same roof so there must be an orange equialent. 

topdog1961
1 minute ago, lee sykes said:

Impressive.  The last I knew, Jred and Husky were under the same roof so there must be an orange equialent. 

The boxes for the battery and charger said Husky. I wondered about that. 

Dogwood

Interesting thread I own a Stihl that I hardly ever use and should really sell it and buy an electric.  Would be safer and easier to keep in the hunting rig for 2 track deadfalls also.

tut
13 minutes ago, Dogwood said:

Interesting thread I own a Stihl that I hardly ever use and should really sell it and buy an electric.  Would be safer and easier to keep in the hunting rig for 2 track deadfalls also.

Was thinking this a good thing to have with one when you encounter a two track that gets tighter and tighter until one realizes he his about to take out both side mirrors. 

PS.  Where at that price.  Dang Home Depot appears to have them at a cost $460

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/jonsered-58v-cordless-chainsaw-16-inch-cs16i/1001155558

topdog1961

I just bought the Jonsered blower, without the battery and charger, used on eBay for $40. 

Looks like same chainsaw is sold by Sears as a Snapper for $170. Make sure you get the 5.2 amp hour battery, not the 2.6. 

https://www.searsoutlet.com/br/pdp/snapper-967922801-16-in-58-volt-cordless-chainsaw-battery-included/108611?uid=55052819&storeZip=64120&sid=IDx20110411x000008&scid=scplp55052819&sc_intid=55052819&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIneSsgPfW5gIVBb7ACh3INwgdEAQYASABEgKnZvD_BwE

Marc Ret
57 minutes ago, tut said:

Was thinking this a good thing to have with one when you encounter a two track that gets tighter and tighter until one realizes he his about to take out both side mirrors. 

PS.  Where at that price.  Dang Home Depot appears to have them at a cost $460

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/jonsered-58v-cordless-chainsaw-16-inch-cs16i/1001155558

Still not the $150 TD paid but that's $460 Canadian. Your link is to HD Canada, Tom. 

tut
13 minutes ago, Marc Ret said:

Still not the $150 TD paid but that's $460 Canadian. Your link is to HD Canada, Tom. 

Where is it sold in the US?

topdog1961
1 minute ago, tut said:

Where is it sold in the US?

See the edit to my prior post above. The snapper has to be the same saw. Same battery specs. Same 5yr saw and 3ur battery warranty. Looks identical. Except my bar looks not as tall, may be the angle of the pic. 

tut
11 hours ago, topdog1961 said:

See the edit to my prior post above. The snapper has to be the same saw. Same battery specs. Same 5yr saw and 3ur battery warranty. Looks identical. Except my bar looks not as tall, may be the angle of the pic. 

Thanks much.

topdog1961
34 minutes ago, tut said:

Thanks much.

I was in a treestand when I replied. I didn’t notice until now that “Sears Outlet” means “Slightly imperfect, but perfect prices”. 

I’m not sure what that means for a chainsaw. 

Snapper model also available on Ebay for $225, no returns, but appears sold out/discontinued at other places including where I bought mine. Batteries and accessories appear readily available. 

https://www.ebay.com/p/9034903359?iid=163892423192&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=163892423192&targetid=475515110381&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=1023791&poi=&campaignid=6469750489&mkgroupid=77932583899&rlsatarget=pla-475515110381&abcId=1141176&merchantid=6296724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8NSv2KDY5gIVEtvACh2x9AjsEAQYAyABEgIIcPD_BwE#UserReviews

Brad Eden

I'm gonna get a Mikita Battery saw at some point to add to my tool set. Everyone who isn't a logger that has a battery saw swears by them these days

Millriver

Have always thought it would be good to throw one of these in the truck during bird season, especially when I travel north. Have had my small gas Stihl in the truck as I have a couple covers where a downed tree could really cause some issues. Don’t enjoy the gas smell in the back of the truck.

Just wondering if the battery charge would last if it was just riding in the truck until needed. Would hate to have it be dead when I needed to cut my way in or out somewhere.

Dogwood
2 minutes ago, Millriver said:

Have always thought it would be good to throw one of these in the truck during bird season, especially when I travel north. Have had my small gas Stihl in the truck as I have a couple covers where a downed tree could really cause some issues. Don’t enjoy the gas smell in the back of the truck.

Just wondering if the battery charge would last if it was just riding in the truck until needed. Would hate to have it be dead when I needed to cut my way in or out somewhere.

Modern Li-ion batteries seem to hold a charge forever compared to say the old Ni-Cd batteries of yore.  I would imagine you could also charge it via one of your vehicle's electrical ports.