REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
topdog1961

The Tesla of chainsaws.

studdog

I have the whole suite of Stihl battery powered tools.  They are fantastic.  They do anything I need.

bmeador

Millriver, get you an inverter that is compatible with the battery charger and charge it as you are driving around.  I have 2 and do this with my collars, laptop and satellite phone.  A battery chainsaw will come this summer!

topdog1961
5 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Modern Li-ion batteries seem to hold a charge forever compared to say the old Ni-Cd batteries of yore.  I would imagine you could also charge it via one of your vehicle's electrical ports.

For a big 58v battery to charge fully in 45 min, it takes a serious charger. This one is pretty big, and has a fan in it to dissipate heat.  Not sure what power it draws, but I’d suspect you’d need decent sized inverter to power off a vehicle electrical port. I will check and post power needs.  I agree L-ion batteries keep a charge a long time in storage. I charged it over a week ago and haven’t used. Will check and post that status also. 

Dogwood
12 minutes ago, topdog1961 said:

For a big 58v battery to charge fully in 45 min, it takes a serious charger. This one is pretty big, and has a fan in it to dissipate heat.  Not sure what power it draws, but I’d suspect you’d need decent sized inverter to power off a vehicle electrical port. I agree L-ion batteries keep a charge a long time in storage. I charged it over a week ago and haven’t used. Will check and post that status also. 

Ah good to know.

Cold Iron
5 hours ago, Millriver said:

Have always thought it would be good to throw one of these in the truck during bird season, especially when I travel north. Have had my small gas Stihl in the truck as I have a couple covers where a downed tree could really cause some issues. Don’t enjoy the gas smell in the back of the truck.

Just wondering if the battery charge would last if it was just riding in the truck until needed. Would hate to have it be dead when I needed to cut my way in or out somewhere.

A year and a half ago picked up a small cheap Black and Decker Li-ion saw to carry in the back of the UTV for the exact reason you mentioned. Wasn't looking to open a 2 track that hadn't been cleared all year more for an emergency like cutting my way back out if a micro burst hit the area and blocked me in. Charged it and threw it in the recovery box in back of the Ranger. It sat there all winter outside with temps below zero for weeks at a time and several -30 and below stretches. 

This summer a large red oak on the other side of the ravine out back fell into the backyard. Got the saw out and filled it with bar oil I really didn't expect it to run. But it ran for close to a half hour when I gave up because not sure where the tree was going to split at the fork and roll on me. Or which way it was going to roll. To say I am impressed with it is an understatement. Don't see me using the gas saw anymore and will be replacing it at some point with a larger electric. I am sold.

One thing I discovered reading on here is that the new electric saws will cut through most chainsaw chaps unless they are made specifically for protection from the electric saws. There was a time long ago I'd cut wearing sneakers and a T shirt, maybe put on a pair of sunglasses. Not so much anymore.

erik meade

I like the Wranglerstar videos.  He has some interesting thoughts.

Jakeismydog2
6 hours ago, erik meade said:

I like the Wranglerstar videos.  He has some interesting thoughts.

I have watched a few of his videos. I found them relatively enjoyable.

Brad Eden

That video was very entertaining. Especially when the stack of wood with the Stihl saw on top fell over almost cutting off his arm and smacking the battery DeWalt saw. All made a lot of sense. Makes me realize that a smallish Makita battey saw added to my tool set would work for small, quick jobs around the place and at camp. Anything more ambitious and I'd power up my Stihl.

topdog1961

The. video was entertaining, but I know my Jonsered electric saw would get more than 20 some cuts. Jonsered claims it will get 300 cuts on similar size logs. But that’s a subjective measurement depending on how hard the wood is. The Dewalt used in the video is a 40v, mine is 58v, and Dewalt now makes a 60v. That said, I don’t claim electric chainsaws are ready to replace a commercial gas saw for someone heating with wood and needing to cut truckloads full, or earn a living with a saw. But they are serious saws that will do tough work, will meet the total needs of many users, and have advantages over gas saws that makes having one very handy for most everyone. 

Below is the technical info from my charger. Looks like it needs 2.8 amp input. Not as much as I expected. The battery was still fully charged after about 10 days in storage, as I suspect it will be for weeks and months to come based upon my experience with other L-Ion batteries. 

627B0050-9189-497A-B07A-60D344E1575B.jpeg

D0754CC6-BCFB-4635-AE2A-1BA2B33F123C.jpeg

erik meade

Menards has those Jonsereds 58v on closeout at a couple of my local stores for $170, then you get an 11% rebate in store credit. 

In case anyone is convinced to get one.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/outdoor-power-equipment/chainsaws/jonsered-reg-16-58-volt-cordless-chainsaw/cs16i/p-1507012122207.htm

erik meade
3 hours ago, topdog1961 said:

The Dewalt used in the video is a 40v, mine is 58v,

It is not the volts that matter for how much work it does. It is Watt Hours.  The Dewalt is 7.5 amp hours x 40v = 300 watt hours.  While the Jonsered is 5.2 amp hours x 58v = 301.6 amp hours, so that part is awash.

If I had to guess they probably have the same number of similar cells in their packs, the Jonsered has more of them in series to increase the volts while Dewalt has more in parallel to increase amp hours...

dogrunner
50 minutes ago, erik meade said:

Menards has those Jonsereds 58v on closeout at a couple of my local stores for $170, then you get an 11% rebate in store credit. 

In case anyone is convinced to get one.

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/outdoor-power-equipment/chainsaws/jonsered-reg-16-58-volt-cordless-chainsaw/cs16i/p-1507012122207.htm

Heck the battery and charger are $160. So the saw is almost Free. 😁

dogrunner
On 12/27/2019 at 6:26 PM, topdog1961 said:

See the edit to my prior post above. The snapper has to be the same saw. Same battery specs. Same 5yr saw and 3ur battery warranty. Looks identical. Except my bar looks not as tall, may be the angle of the pic. 

So I go to Menards to save big $$. They  had 1 Jonsered but the box seemed like it had been bought and returned. So I looked around and seen the Poulan on sale. Looked at reviews seemed ok and since we are getting a rain,wind, ice storm tomorrow figured I might need it. I have a Husky gas saw but I figured for the money I would try it. So I got it on sale plus 11% off and credit card cash back so hopefully I saved Big money 💰 and got a decent saw. We shall see. 

380F138C-6375-41D6-BA65-ECC133B002E5.jpeg

5B28E197-DA53-41F7-909D-4F3ABA838648.jpeg

erik meade

Cool...

What do you have to give for the Poulan?

Hope the storm safely provides you with a chance to try it out and report back.

dogrunner
7 hours ago, erik meade said:

Cool...

What do you have to give for the Poulan?

Hope the storm safely provides you with a chance to try it out and report back.

Seemed like a good deal. Weather has started, hopefully I don’t need it right now but it will get used sooner or later for small to midsize trees 🌳. All charged up ready to rock but haven’t totally put it together yet. 

FAD0D436-43E7-49C6-BFF8-CCED2CBBA12E.jpeg

F693D427-8B76-4EE3-A654-DE52327337F1.jpeg