REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
topdog1961

The Tesla of chainsaws.

topdog1961
3 hours ago, Spin said:

Beware. That says tool only. That’s the same price I paid for the whole set on Black Friday. Likely that means you don’t get the charger or battery. People bought these kits, then split them up and sell the components for more that the original cost. Search for the battery, then the charger and you will see they are also for sale, likely from the same seller. This is probably the same guy that sold me the Jonsered leaf blower, without the charger or battery. That was no big deal, since I have both with my saw. But then I realized the pic didn’t show the blower extension tube. I emailed the seller asking if it was included, assuming it was since that is an integral piece for it to function. The answer was no, but he had it if I wanted to buy it also. Since I caught my mistake, and his deception, within the one hour no questions asked refund period, I demanded a refund, or I would turn him in to EBay. I got my money, but was lucky I caught it in time. 

Buyer beware 

Spin
4 hours ago, topdog1961 said:

Beware. That says tool only. That’s the same price I paid for the whole set on Black Friday. Likely that means you don’t get the charger or battery. People bought these kits, then split them up and sell the components for more that the original cost. Search for the battery, then the charger and you will see they are also for sale, likely from the same seller. This is probably the same guy that sold me the Jonsered leaf blower, without the charger or battery. That was no big deal, since I have both with my saw. But then I realized the pic didn’t show the blower extension tube. I emailed the seller asking if it was included, assuming it was since that is an integral piece for it to function. The answer was no, but he had it if I wanted to buy it also. Since I caught my mistake, and his deception, within the one hour no questions asked refund period, I demanded a refund, or I would turn him in to EBay. I got my money, but was lucky I caught it in time. 

Buyer beware 

I guessed it was probably missing the battery but never thought about the charger. I saw ads asking $460.00 something. figured with  the cost of a new battery you most likely come out ahead. I looked at a Snapper cordless 18" (get this) 82 volt chainsaw going for $199.00  BUT  that covers tool only, no battery or charger which are sold separately

and are made by Briggs & Stratton and they are the only battery and charger available for this saw. I didn't waste the time to search out a vendor for this pair. The battery has only a 2AH capacity anyway. Yep it looks like a definite Buyer Beware item alright. I'm sticking with my Husqvarna gas op model.

I'm too old to do much re-tooling around here anyway. (I just bought a HPA compressor for the air rifles so I'm on the Warden's list)

topdog1961

I got the Jonesred battery saw out again today, first time since the OP Dec 27th. I been using my couple gas Stihls because they needed used, so the gas was kept fresh. The Jonesred battery was still 100% charged. So you all wondering if the battery stays up when not in use, need not worry. I spent a couple hours doing spring clean up in my rather large yard. Many of the larger branches wouldn’t fit in the 4ft trailer, so the versatility of an electric saw was handy. I had cutting when I needed it as I moved around the yard. With gas, I’d either have had to left it run, or restarted multiple times. It worked flawlessly again. 

BFA91FD5-94E9-4704-9821-B2B43926EAC1.jpeg

Parkerman

Menards is closing out the Poulan 54V saw for a $149 so it just what the store has in stock, I found one and hat to buy it.

topdog1961
38 minutes ago, Parkerman said:

Menards is closing out the Poulan 54V saw for a $149 so it just what the store has in stock, I found one and hat to buy it.

That’s a great deal, the same I paid at Menards on Black Friday for the Jonesred, which looks to be the exact same saw, as is the Echo 54v. I think they are all made by Huskvarna, as the battery and charger come packed in their boxes.   

Anyone remotely interested should snatch one up, at least based upon my experience so far. 

erik meade

psst.

Menards, if yours has any left.  Maybe get two to have an extra battery on hand.

Screen-Shot-2020-04-12-at-10-27-51-PM.pn

topdog1961
On 4/12/2020 at 11:28 PM, erik meade said:

psst.

Menards, if yours has any left.  Maybe get two to have an extra battery on hand.

Screen-Shot-2020-04-12-at-10-27-51-PM.pn

I would buy all I could at that price and give them away for Christmas. But you can only buy at the store and the closest store to me with any in stock is Indy, 130 miles away. And they only have one. It’s obviously discontinued and being blown out at that price. I used mine again over the weekend and was impressed as always. Highly recommend anyone to go to menards.com, pull up this sku, put in your zip, and see if any are available near you. 

Speaks

Too bad none near me, I have the little dewalt saw and like it for what it is, a bigger electric would be really nice to have. 

Speaks

Poulon one is there but no price shown, might have to drive down there anyway and see. 

Parkerman
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 7:14 AM, topdog1961 said:

I would buy all I could at that price and give them away for Christmas. But you can only buy at the store and the closest store to me with any in stock is Indy, 130 miles away. And they only have one. It’s obviously discontinued and being blown out at that price. I used mine again over the weekend and was impressed as always. Highly recommend anyone to go to menards.com, pull up this sku, put in your zip, and see if any are available near you. 

Damn and I thought I got a good price! Well I can't complain because for $150 it's still a hell of a saw. My store was sold out too.

topdog1961
39 minutes ago, Parkerman said:

Damn and I thought I got a good price! Well I can't complain because for $150 it's still a hell of a saw. My store was sold out too.

Since you brought this thread to the top again, I’ll relay that the Jonesred got a another workout this weekend. I’ve lost several trees in the yard, with more looking sick. I’m beginning to think 25 years of “chemical edging” (roundup) is the issue. I cut down and into firewood the entire dead 30ft Maple in the background. The saw went through it like butter, using 3/4 of a battery charge on what had to be hundreds of cuts,.  The trunk was about 14 inches and the main branches about 8in. It was nice to cut for awhile, then haul off the trimmings and stack/split firewood for awhile, without having to constantly start/restart a gas saw. While maybe not quite a cut firewood all day saw (at least on one battery), it’s way more than just a trim saw. You can do serious work with it. 

2A6B3DF1-F193-4855-A446-E3711AD34484.jpeg

CptSydor

Bumping this up again.

In a previous life when I was burning wood for heat, I had a nice Stihl, which I donated to my father to replace all the crappy Poulans he had bought over the years, none of which ever seemed to run or cut great. I'll get that saw back one day, I'm sure of it, hopefully a long time from now. Looking for a saw again for minor use, mainly MTB trail development/maintenance, cutting some camp firewood and generally keep in the truck for random stuff.

Would prefer to buy good once. The classic companies like Stihl, Husqvarna obviously do gas chainsaws well, but that doesn't translate to cordless/battery.

The OP seems happy with his Jonsered, but any idea of the best bet for cordless? I've got some Makita cordless tools that have done me right over the past 15 years. I'd like to say the same of a cordless chainsaw.

Of course price is always a consideration however. Looking for high quality, but good bang for your buck and longevity.

Spiller

FWIW, both my gas lawnmowers needed some service recently so my neighbor lent me his Ego electric lawnmower to do my yard and I gotta say I was quite impressed with it. I was pretty against them based on my earlier experiences with various electric tools. Anyway these newer batteries have come along way baby and I decided I was going to buy a new electric lawnmower, but which one?  

I will tell you how it all played out.  

Depending on how and what you expect to buy in the cordless electric business you will find that batteries are where you get shafted, however if you buy certain tools that you need or might need it pays to think it through a little because that is where you can get the batteries at a deep discount in the long run because they will come included in another tool, and also you get a series of tools with interchangeable batteries.

At least for me all the better lawnmowers all seemed to be very capable, but I wanted to upgrade my old gas string trimmer, that has always been a PITA and I also thought about adding one of these electric chainsaws too.

So you are buying into a series and not necessarily an individual piece of equipment...and there are all kinds of tools in good well reviewed "series" too...Stihl makes electric saws and string trimmers...and so does Makita and Ego and about a bazillion other companies.

Well,when all was said and done...you just gotta pick one and go for it.

I wound up with an Echo lawn mower that came with a 4 amp hour battery and I paid a little "extra for it" because there were certainly plenty of other good brands that were a tad cheaper that actually had better reviews.  However, when you look at the suite of  Echo tools, both the Echo battery saw (which comes with another 4 amp hour battery, and when you look at the cost of buying another individual battery to mow your lawn, in one go, you wind up only paying maybe a 100 bucks extra for the battery and you get the tool included) and the echo electric string trimmer with the removable switching tool heads (rather than the dedicated one) came with another 2 amp hour Battery, so I have plenty of battery power to mix and match as necessary....and both of these electric tools are highly rated ones according to the reviews I read...

and all older gas tools like a hedge trimmer and a brush cutter that I already owned in the Echo PAS system fit into the electric "head" too - so total bonus! 

I have tried all the new toys and I am convinced the electric stuff is way better now than it was 30 years ago. Less tiring to use too, no fumes, less noise, less vibration...just mine.

topdog1961

Too bad the Jonesred I bought seems to be a discontinued model. I had it out cutting again today. It’s still going strong, no issues, doesn’t even throw any chains like my Stihl’s do If I don’t tighten often. About 3 weeks ago I started with a half battery charge and worked most of the day cleaning brush and branches on the riverbank before the battery gave out. This involved a lot of reaching up or bending down on steep riverbank, basically out of position cutting. When I put the battery on charge and got the the 16 inch Stihl gas saw out, the weight difference was noticeable. Both have a 16 in bar but the Jonesred weighs as much as my 20 inch Stihl. I don’t notice the weight for most cutting, but if you’re doing a lot of awkward reach cutting for extended periods, the weight of a serious electric saw is a disadvantage. But the convenience of always being ready at the push of a button outweighs that for most jobs. 

Other than that, I love it, it’s my go to saw now. Sorry I can’t recommend another brand.