REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
max2

Blue birds - Bats - Duck houses ~

max2

Winter projects. Just before Christmas I had some time to entertain I started knocking out  Blue bird box's .Gave 1/2 dozen to folks at Christmas and will continue until the the the wood is gone. Took these photo's of a couple to try and generate some interest for others who may be looking for a winter project to pass the time. They can be made out of any type scrap wood . These were made with red cedar. Try to find cedar boards today. I stopped at a place that had all the cedar you may have wanted back in the day only to be told - " no one buys cedar anymore" - "but we may be able to find something out there" .   Story of my life 😁 Seems I am always being told no one does it like that anymore. I may at times be heard mumbling as I walk away ....... Bull S***   Anyway ~  to the Photo's ~

P1000728.JPG

Remo

That is a fun project you are working on. I have never had luck with the bat houses here as there are so many old abandoned buildings around that bats seem to prefer. My friend at the lake says he has good luck there. I have a bluebird trail with about 50 boxes out now. They seem to like the model you have versus the Peterson style.  But tree swallows will use anything for a house and they are fun to watch also.

DSC_6811

dogrunner

Had a project at work many years ago to cut wood for 300 bat 🦇, blue bird and wood duck houses. I was on the saw for a good while and hated cutting the cedar. Then groups of people we’re supposed to put them together. Guess what about a year later I went to that building to do some work and found huge boxes of everything I cut that they never used. Kinda made me mad. 

max2

A nice thing about giving nesting box's as gift's to people is they are the gift that keeps on giving. Even if the person you were to gift it to were to re-gift it to  someone you may not like or care for it's still a win-win !  

Up North
On 1/27/2020 at 9:27 AM, Remo said:

That is a fun project you are working on. I have never had luck with the bat houses here as there are so many old abandoned buildings around that bats seem to prefer. My friend at the lake says he has good luck there. I have a bluebird trail with about 50 boxes out now. They seem to like the model you have versus the Peterson style.  But tree swallows will use anything for a house and they are fun to watch also.

DSC_6811

When putting up a bat house find some bat dung  and rub it on the house. I guess it speeds up the process of them using it.

upstate

getting ready to have my students make some bird houses of various types. We are going to make some nesting platforms (robins, mourning doves etc...), then some bluebird houses and hopefully a few wood duck houses. will post some pics later

upstate

kids got the first nesting platform done today. I think we’ll put a small lip around the platform portion 
CF975D91-E15A-40AC-9B12-AEF765995972.thumb.jpeg.7e45390c1c081aaf4072314153e548eb.jpeg

max2

Heading out on the pond today to drive a new pin to support my duck house. last year in spring a bear knocked the duck house over breaking the pole. Ice should be thick enough -  though I will thoroughly check before heading out. I think I will move it a couple more feet out off the shore. The ducks will be returning soon looking for a place to call home . Get the new bedding in place. Perhaps set a trail camera to see in fact when they do actually arrive.

SelbyLowndes

The pesky wren family that likes to nest in my garage every year has already returned and built a nest at the top of my extension ladder.  I knocked it down yesterday and carefully examined the construction.  The inner nest was green fern and soft brown cypress needles, and the exterior was oak leaves and pine.  Cozy.

I replaced the ladder nest with a gourd and filled the bottom with walnut sawdust and shavings.  I also put some of the inner nesting material from the nest I destroyed in the gourd as encouragement.

I had a few other gourds and hollow styrofoam crab basket floats that I put out in the yard every year for the birds.  Emily says they make the yard look tacky.  What does she know?...SelbyLowndes