REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
MAArcher

Duck hunting waders recommendation?

MAArcher

My waders have seen better days and I'd like to switch to boot foot.   Any recommendations?  Thanks

Okhotnik
mccuha

I really like breathable waders. I’ve as of late got mine from Rogers sporting goods. I tend to get a couple years or so out of them before they start to leak. Neoprene are just to dang hot and uncomfortable to me. You can put enough on to stay warm n breathable    Most all the major hunting stores, cabelas ,bp, Mack’s. Just to name a few

watermen

I like mccuha's strategy.  I buy breathable and can then use them for trout fishing and dress accordingly during duck.  Terrible duck year here they blew through, I have hopes for next year as the prairie pothole country in getting hammered again.  Rogers and BP are both fairly local and Roger's has better prices and quality IMHO.  There should be killer deals on them now.

MAArcher

To clarify, these will be used exclusively in freezing cold salt water marshes.  Not sure if I want to stick with 5mm neoprene or go with breathables in a larger size so I can wear my wool bibs underneath.

quailguy
6 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

To clarify, these will be used exclusively in freezing cold salt water marshes.  Not sure if I want to stick with 5mm neoprene or go with breathables in a larger size so I can wear my wool bibs underneath.

In that case I personally would use my neoprene waders. 

Jacksdad

Cabelas neoprene (several types to pick from).   

Curt

I have also been looking for a new pair, my old waders are completely shot.  My primary purpose is for fishing but it seems no one is servicing the market for guys with big feet.

My dogs are size 15 and I guess that precludes a guy from wading because finding stocking foot waders for me is a lot like looking for the holy grail.

Zkight89

I second the Cabela's neoprene. I've had a pair for a few months and I'm very pleased for the $170 or so I paid for them. 

mccuha

If I was primarily going to use them for fishing and secondarily hunting, I’d get stocking foot waders and a decent pair of boots I could use either way.  

MAArcher
36 minutes ago, Curt said:

I have also been looking for a new pair, my old waders are completely shot.  My primary purpose is for fishing but it seems no one is servicing the market for guys with big feet.

My dogs are size 15 and I guess that precludes a guy from wading because finding stocking foot waders for me is a lot like looking for the holy grail.

Wow.  You know what they say about guys with big feet.....they have to wet wade.  

MAArcher

Do the cabelas come in different sized waists?  I'd like to wear a few layers including a bulky coat and tuck it into the waders without too much trouble.  Online it looks like the Cabelas are all just "regular" size.  

Curt
11 hours ago, MAArcher said:

Wow.  You know what they say about guys with big feet.....they have to wet wade.  

I don't mind that in mid summer but April & May?  They also think that if you have big feet you must be really fat as well because the few I can find that offer the size 15 have a girth big enough to go around me twice.

mccuha
26 minutes ago, MAArcher said:

Do the cabelas come in different sized waists?  I'd like to wear a few layers including a bulky coat and tuck it into the waders without too much trouble.  Online it looks like the Cabelas are all just "regular" size.  

I guess they still make the larger waist size they used to. The two biggest problems I have with neoprene waders are one , they get really hot and two they to me are not very comfortable and don’t allowed w a lot of mobility.  Breathables feel like you don’t even have waders on

Zoli 16ga.
2 hours ago, MAArcher said:

5mil neoprene. A couple sizes larger to accommodate extra socks and some fleece pants or such.