REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
MAArcher

Duck hunting waders recommendation?

SelbyLowndes
3 hours ago, MAArcher said:

I like the occasional post that requires me to have to google a new word.

One of those words you never hear until you become one...SelbyLowndes

ruffed1

I have a pair of Frogg Togg breathable waders I got on closeout 2 years ago.  I haven’t worn my neoprene waders since.  They are more comfortable, I can layer up or down easier. I haven’t sprung a leak yet but they have to be easier to patch than neo.  

uplandchessies

I've had the L L Bean Pro waders for several years and they have served me well. Can get cold in KY, but layers solve the problem. 

steveziv

I bought Cabela's camo bootfoot breathable waders.  I use them for trout fishing more than my stockingfoots because they're faster to get in an out of.  They're good for most waterfowling here in MD.  Late season I wear long johns and/or flannel lined jeans underneath. MAA's a little farther north so something insulated or neoprene might make sense.

mccuha

I wear breathable waders.  I’ve tried them all.  From Cabela’s to Mack ‘s.  The last couple pair I’ve bought them from Rogers.  They all will eventually leak.  I try not to sink a ton in them so I don’t feel bad replacing every other year or so.  

spinfly

I have a pair of Hodgman breathable  that have seen better days, and have the inevitable leakage. Has anyone here tried Banded brand?  Most reviews I have seen are mixed, looking for some real life experience  from fellow UJ'ers. Thanks.

Treerooster
12 hours ago, spinfly said:

I have a pair of Hodgman breathable  that have seen better days, and have the inevitable leakage. Has anyone here tried Banded brand?  Most reviews I have seen are mixed, looking for some real life experience  from fellow UJ'ers. Thanks.

I tried a cold weather pair. Didn't like them and returned them before I hunted in them. Just weren't comfortable for me and there was just one adjustment buckle on the shoulder straps. It was on the left side and interfered with me mounting my gun as I am left handed.

Rick Hall
9 hours ago, Treerooster said:

Didn't like them and returned them before I hunted in them. Just weren't comfortable for me...

The ability to "try before you buy" or at least ease of return is something I'll be paying more attention to now that I've had the chance to wear waders that feel like they were tailored for me.  Waders can, of course, be serviceable without fitting particularly well anywhere but the boots, but it's so, so very nice to be able to forget you're wearing waders until you're in deep water.  OK, or need to pee...

Spin
On 1/1/2020 at 7:30 PM, MAArcher said:

To clarify, these will be used exclusively in freezing cold salt water marshes.  Not sure if I want to stick with 5mm neoprene or go with breathables in a larger size so I can wear my wool bibs underneath.

I use to fish steelhead in the local Lake Michigan tributaries in early spring. Dam cold water and if they aren't on the redds you have to fish the deeper runs. The neo's beat breathables hand down for warmth even when wearing good quality very cold rated long johns and heavy weight fleece wading pants, poly liner socks and extra heavy wool ones over those. Hip deep I could only handle around 15 minutes and I had to climb out and walk around to get the blood pumping again. One drawback to Neo's was condensation. After a half day of fishing moisture would condensate on the inside lining of the waders and the outside of the fleece wading pants. Your skin was still pretty dry and warm but you had to wash and dry the wading pants and the inside of the waders dried and aired out. I'm betting it would be much the same doing the "Swamp Stomp" through icy water and skim ice in a duck marsh.

mccuha
18 hours ago, Spin said:

I use to fish steelhead in the local Lake Michigan tributaries in early spring. Dam cold water and if they aren't on the redds you have to fish the deeper runs. The neo's beat breathables hand down for warmth even when wearing good quality very cold rated long johns and heavy weight fleece wading pants, poly liner socks and extra heavy wool ones over those. Hip deep I could only handle around 15 minutes and I had to climb out and walk around to get the blood pumping again. One drawback to Neo's was condensation. After a half day of fishing moisture would condensate on the inside lining of the waders and the outside of the fleece wading pants. Your skin was still pretty dry and warm but you had to wash and dry the wading pants and the inside of the waders dried and aired out. I'm betting it would be much the same doing the "Swamp Stomp" through icy water and skim ice in a duck marsh.

I got some heavy neo waders  but I never use them unless it is very cold around here( single digit or less).  They are just to dang hot and I can put plenty enough clothes on for cold weather.  I just can’t stand neos.  They are uncomfortable to wear plus like I said for how hot they are.  Now if I lived in a more colder climate I might have a different opinion.