REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
jeff88

Your hunting attire - Natty or Nasty?

jeff88

Last Monday evening I received tangible proof that my look, when in the uplands, is nasty.  After spending the day with fellow UJ-er Keith in the TX thickets chasing WC I stopped at a McDonalds in a Pineywoods town on my way home.  It was the day after coming back from FL for the holidays where along the way I kept dropping change into the center console.  Before going in, I gathered the coins to use for a coffee as I was pretty tired and wanted to get rid of the coinage.  Knowing the coffee is about $2 for a small one, while in line to order I picked out about $2.10 to pay for it in change.  When I got to the counter and ordered the coffee I was told it was 86 cents with the senior discount.  Now I never said I was a senior nor did I notice anything about senior pricing so now after carefully counting out the change, I started to do it again.  And what the heck?  Is it nice or not to suggest senior pricing un-asked?  Right after I paid, a woman standing behind me said "Sir, if you would like, I'd be happy to buy your dinner."  This woman must have thought I was destitute as my old denim shirt had some rather large holes on the arms as well as threadbare hunting pants that have gone through tons of briars over the years.  It didn't help that I might have seemed a bit desperate carefully counting out the proper change.

It took me a few seconds to gather my thoughts about what just occurred.  I said "That is very nice of you but I'm OK, all I want is a small coffee to keep me sharp the rest of the way home but thank you so much, I hope you have a wonderful new year!"  Driving away It hit me that I must have looked like an old bum not just to her but the girl behind the counter and probably everyone else I encounter when in my favorite get-up.  But also it was heartening to witness the spirit of the season fully intact while at the same time disturbing to realize just how badly I appeared in public.  It also occurred to me that I should have stuck around to pay for the woman and her daughter's dinner but I have to say, I was a bit off stride.

So, are you NATTY or NASTY?  There is no doubt where I am concerned.  As for that old, green denim shirt, after telling my wife about the encounter she's advised retiring it.  It is in the recycle bag as I write this.  

BTW, Keith looks like he stepped straight out of the Orvis catalogue's upland hunter section.  Maybe I gotta up my "game" game?  

SelbyLowndes

I've always enjoyed my worn out hunting clothes the most.  I guess that answers the question...SelbyLowndes

pa'tridge hunters
23 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

Last Monday evening I received tangible proof that my look, when in the uplands, is nasty.  After spending the day with fellow UJ-er Keith in the TX thickets chasing WC I stopped at a McDonalds in a Pineywoods town on my way home.  It was the day after coming back from FL for the holidays where along the way I kept dropping change into the center console.  Before going in, I gathered the coins to use for a coffee as I was pretty tired and wanted to get rid of the coinage.  Knowing the coffee is about $2 for a small one, while in line to order I picked out about $2.10 to pay for it in change.  When I got to the counter and ordered the coffee I was told it was 86 cents with the senior discount.  Now I never said I was a senior nor did I notice anything about senior pricing so now after carefully counting out the change, I started to do it again.  And what the heck?  Is it nice or not to suggest senior pricing un-asked?  Right after I paid, a woman standing behind me said "Sir, if you would like, I'd be happy to buy your dinner."  This woman must have thought I was destitute as my old denim shirt had some rather large holes on the arms as well as threadbare hunting pants that have gone through tons of briars over the years.  It didn't help that I might have seemed a bit desperate carefully counting out the proper change.

It took me a few seconds to gather my thoughts about what just occurred.  I said "That is very nice of you but I'm OK, all I want is a small coffee to keep me sharp the rest of the way home but thank you so much, I hope you have a wonderful new year!"  Driving away It hit me that I must have looked like an old bum not just to her but the girl behind the counter and probably everyone else I encounter when in my favorite get-up.  But also it was heartening to witness the spirit of the season fully intact while at the same time disturbing to realize just how badly I appeared in public.  It also occurred to me that I should have stuck around to pay for the woman and her daughter's dinner but I have to say, I was a bit off stride.

So, are you NATTY or NASTY?  There is no doubt where I am concerned.  As for that old, green denim shirt, after telling my wife about the encounter she's advised retiring it.  It is in the recycle bag as I write this.  

BTW, Keith looks like he stepped straight out of the Orvis catalogue's upland hunter section.  Maybe I gotta up my "game" game?  

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to look at the Orvis website. Maybe something on sale.

Zkight89

I wear my work clothes upland hunting. Wrangler denim shirts and Carhartt double front pants. I'm sure that I've likely been confused for a bum a time or two.

I've also seen an old man dressed similarly whip out $10,000 cash and buy a new ATV and trailer in cash at a Tractor Supply..... 

grouse28
22 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

Maybe I gotta up my "game" game?  

If I were you I would contact Greg Hartman for fashion advice. 😄

He is a fashion nova and could set up your personal styling service.

jeff88
22 minutes ago, SelbyLowndes said:

I've always enjoyed my worn out hunting clothes the most.  I guess that answers the question...SelbyLowndes

...we should be just glad we still fit in the old duds...

jeff88
1 minute ago, grouse28 said:

I Like it!  But who do I go to for financing?  

jeff88
6 minutes ago, pa'tridge hunters said:

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to look at the Orvis website. Maybe something on sale.

Hey, maybe I could do a "go fund me" for Orvis stuff?  You in?

grouse28
Just now, jeff88 said:

I Like it!  But who do I go to for financing?  

He also can arrange that for you. Collateral could be a shotgun or two.

Rick Hall

Always been a "plain clothes" hunter.  Tickles me to remember a morning when a guest hunter approached me at the waterfowl camp I guide for and said, "You must be Rick: they told me to find the guy who looks like he's not going."

In the interest of full disclosure I do usually don a camo shell of some sort when guiding, but no one will ever accuse me of being "Orvis man," regardless of the game at hand.

SODAKer

During upland and deer season I can go from field/woods to store and no one in the store would know that I was hunting.

I run and gun for Spring gobbler and that is a little different as I haven't gotten out of full camo yet, but I'm getting there with drabby ass brown/beige/grey/green britches; the camo shirt is the next to go; think I'll just go plaid.

Greg Hartman
31 minutes ago, grouse28 said:

Not true.  Pot calling the kettle black, in fact.  Here is Mr. Grouse28 (on the left) dressed from head to toe in Duluth finery.  With such an elegant look, he's not likely to be getting fashion advice from yours truly (on the right).  Those hunting clothes from high school still have many more years of life in them...

11-26-18 - Dave and me getting ready to head out

Things get better when it's cold and the Orvis layers and Hollywood shades are added, making Grouse28 the orangest man in the field - truly the envy of all who know him.

3-7-19 - Dave is orange today

😀 😁

gunsrus

My hunting clothes are a couple years old , not bad . Used to look like a bum and never bothered me . I do have tons of hunting clothes , boots , vests .... just because I can . They'll mostly go away soon as I'll never use them . 

On the other hand when I do work around the house I am deplorable . Paint , caulking , holes whatever . When I go to Home Depot they follow me around . 

grouse28
24 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

Not true.  Pot calling the kettle black, in fact.  Here is Mr. Grouse28 (on the left) dressed from head to toe in Duluth finery.  With such an elegant look, he's not likely to be getting fashion advice from yours truly (on the right).  Those hunting clothes from high school still have many more years of life in them...

11-26-18 - Dave and me getting ready to head out

Things get better when it's cold and the Orvis layers and Hollywood shades are added, making Grouse28 the orangest man in the field - truly the envy of all who know him.

3-7-19 - Dave is orange today

😀 😁

Dang PhotoShop.

😇

Canuck

A few years back we were sitting around the hunting lodge sharing a few drinks. One of the guys was looking at all the old photos on the wall and commented with a laugh that I was still wearing the same hunting togs as I wore twenty years ago and that I was a cheap SOB and needed to get some new hunting clothes. I let the laughter die down, waited till the room got quiet and then said that I was pretty sure you boys would still be wearing your old hunting stuff..."IF YOU COULD STILL FIT INTO IT!!!!!"