REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
jeff88

Your hunting attire - Natty or Nasty?

john mcg

I tend to wear the same few items every day, although I have lots.

Hunting clothes go seasons without washing....its a patina thing.

Samuel Hoggson

My 1980s Cabelas ambush-cloth bib is pretty nasty, dead elastic straps held together with gorilla tape, faded oil stain camo.  Last time out got alot nastier.  Buddy managed to drive his Polaris UTV onto a really flat snow-covered area behind a dairy barn.   Evidently, liquid manure creates a really flat surface.  Who knew?  Stuck, started to sink.  Had to get out, grab the winch, walk across snow-covered bovine excrement to a skid-steer.  That was fun.  Should wash the bib, but we're going out again this week so........

What was the question, anyway?  Nasty or nasty?   

h20fwler

I've got so many blood stains on my hunting clothes I look like a crime scene.

mccuha

I usually wear my hunting clothes till they about fall apart.  I have a Columbia upland shirt I’ve had since the 80’s   This shirt was the heavy material made that they don’t make any more. I retired it this year all Ngu with some Filson chaps that finally gave up the ghost.  I’m more about function than fashion 

Remo
2 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Last Monday evening I received tangible proof that my look, when in the uplands, is nasty.  After spending the day with fellow UJ-er Keith in the TX thickets chasing WC I stopped at a McDonalds in a Pineywoods town on my way home.  It was the day after coming back from FL for the holidays where along the way I kept dropping change into the center console.  Before going in, I gathered the coins to use for a coffee as I was pretty tired and wanted to get rid of the coinage.  Knowing the coffee is about $2 for a small one, while in line to order I picked out about $2.10 to pay for it in change.  When I got to the counter and ordered the coffee I was told it was 86 cents with the senior discount.  Now I never said I was a senior nor did I notice anything about senior pricing so now after carefully counting out the change, I started to do it again.  And what the heck?  Is it nice or not to suggest senior pricing un-asked?  Right after I paid, a woman standing behind me said "Sir, if you would like, I'd be happy to buy your dinner."  This woman must have thought I was destitute as my old denim shirt had some rather large holes on the arms as well as threadbare hunting pants that have gone through tons of briars over the years.  It didn't help that I might have seemed a bit desperate carefully counting out the proper change.

It took me a few seconds to gather my thoughts about what just occurred.  I said "That is very nice of you but I'm OK, all I want is a small coffee to keep me sharp the rest of the way home but thank you so much, I hope you have a wonderful new year!"  Driving away It hit me that I must have looked like an old bum not just to her but the girl behind the counter and probably everyone else I encounter when in my favorite get-up.  But also it was heartening to witness the spirit of the season fully intact while at the same time disturbing to realize just how badly I appeared in public.  It also occurred to me that I should have stuck around to pay for the woman and her daughter's dinner but I have to say, I was a bit off stride.

So, are you NATTY or NASTY?  There is no doubt where I am concerned.  As for that old, green denim shirt, after telling my wife about the encounter she's advised retiring it.  It is in the recycle bag as I write this.  

BTW, Keith looks like he stepped straight out of the Orvis catalogue's upland hunter section.  Maybe I gotta up my "game" game?  

I'll have to try this.

Jalinkly

Invested in Filson chaps and a strap vest this year. Hope I’m wearing them in 20 years. 

In all honesty, I always thought all the holes, rips, tears and stains were like badges of honor and well earned. Always preferred to hunt with someone that at least looked like they’ve done it before.  

john mcg
44 minutes ago, Jalinkly said:

Invested in Filson chaps and a strap vest this year. Hope I’m wearing them in 20 years. 

In all honesty, I always thought all the holes, rips, tears and stains were like badges of honor and well earned. Always preferred to hunt with someone that at least looked like they’ve done it before.  

Until ya get new stuff...everything started out new.

pa'tridge hunters
2 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Hey, maybe I could do a "go fund me" for Orvis stuff?  You in?

They're always donating to a worthy cause... Send them your name. Worth a try.😉

Zkight89
6 minutes ago, john mcg said:

Until ya get new stuff...everything started out new.

"New" wears off quick around here.  My " new" waders bought in November already have some hand stitching and Tear Mender on them....  I'll not begin on pants with patches. 

MUSTANGER7
1 hour ago, Canuck said:

A few years back we were sitting around the hunting lodge sharing a few drinks. One of the guys was looking at all the old photos on the wall and commented with a laugh that I was still wearing the same hunting togs as I wore twenty years ago and that I was a cheap SOB and needed to get some new hunting clothes. I let the laughter die down, waited till the room got quiet and then said that I was pretty sure you boys would still be wearing your old hunting stuff..."IF YOU COULD STILL FIT INTO IT!!!!!"

Wow, what solid shot, would have loved to been a fly on the wall, great fire discipline on the timing.   As for my some where in the middle, all stuff I've worn for past 15yrs for the most part, wash my brush pants once a season.

mister grouse

Rags.

Swampy 16
3 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Not true.  Pot calling the kettle black, in fact.  Here is Mr. Grouse28 (on the left) dressed from head to toe in Duluth finery.  With such an elegant look, he's not likely to be getting fashion advice from yours truly (on the right).  Those hunting clothes from high school still have many more years of life in them...

11-26-18 - Dave and me getting ready to head out

Things get better when it's cold and the Orvis layers and Hollywood shades are added, making Grouse28 the orangest man in the field - truly the envy of all who know him.

3-7-19 - Dave is orange today

😀 😁

My god that’s disgraceful !

Jack L

I buy a new pair of Dickies brown jeans every year and by the end of the season they're ripped up and full of holes. My strap vest has its pockets sown up and patched,  I have a new one, but I think the old one has a few mores seasons left.  

gunsrus
3 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Not true.  Pot calling the kettle black, in fact.  Here is Mr. Grouse28 (on the left) dressed from head to toe in Duluth finery.  With such an elegant look, he's not likely to be getting fashion advice from yours truly (on the right).  Those hunting clothes from high school still have many more years of life in them...

11-26-18 - Dave and me getting ready to head out

Things get better when it's cold and the Orvis layers and Hollywood shades are added, making Grouse28 the orangest man in the field - truly the envy of all who know him.

3-7-19 - Dave is orange today

😀 😁

David , you look toasty warm . Very important at this age . 

MAArcher

My wife and kids don't like to be seen with me in public.  The reasons for that are many, including practicing turkey and coyote diaphragm calls while strolling through Walmart, unkempt hair reminiscent of the uni-bomber's mug shot and the stench of spilled doe pee.  And my fashion choices don't help, which typically include a brimmed hat, blood stained camo, pants always tucked into my tall leather boots and a knife hanging off my belt.   

When I work I have to be "business casual" and for years I had to wear a suit; so now if I'm not working, I'm dressed like I'm going hunting (a.k.a. comfortable).  My wife is constantly asking me "Are you going hunting?" and if the answer isn't "Yes" then its "Maybe, you never know how the day might shake out."  

Ducked tapped boots, tattered chaps and threadbare everything else definitely puts me in the Nasty column when bird hunting.