REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
jeff88

Your hunting attire - Natty or Nasty?

NJ_Springer

I still wear my 30 year old SafTbak briar proof pants and Columbia Ptarmigan jacket. They both held up remarkably well. Five years ago I got all new bow hunting camo. Before that, I’ve been wearing my old woodland camo from when I was in the Marine Corps circa 1985

Alaskan Swamp Collie

Still have the same pair of cabela's upland pants from 20 years ago. Somehow every fall when I first put them on they seem tight, although I haven't put on any weight for 30 years. I think my wife is washing them in super hot water so they shrink and I am forced to get new ones. On a side note several years ago I was eating dinner in Chamberlin SD and saw whole groups of "hunters" with brand new clothing, nothing had a rip, faded spot, porky quill, or any odor of skunk. They couldn't possibly be hunting the same places I do.

Dogwood

The nastier the better.

terrym

I buy new hunting clothes when they don’t fit anymore. Being a lard azz most my life I have gone up & down size wise. So because of that my stuff actually is in pretty good shape except for hunting pants which wear quicker. I really should switch to chaps. 

My issue is the smell of my coats. Every year I tell myself it’s time to cleanse some DNA out of them. Who knows maybe I’ll do it this year?

WMassGriff

Mine just got washed after a long season! Got tired of looking at them standing up in the corner.

I will say looking at photos of my Father and Uncles hunting and fishing in the 30's and 40's they did look a lot sharper in their ties and jackets.

whiskyjack

I had to replace some items last year so I currently look quasi-normal in public.

My Browning Upland Vest looks worn but is in my opinion still serviceable. 

I did finally buy a Filson strap vest which I wear in early season, it still looks kind of new

after 2 seasons. My brush pants have been around for a while and look it.

Jackets, some are newer than others. I acquired a Milsurp desert camo smack that has been worn a few times

and shows it! Great coat for hunting on the Prairies, blends in very well.

Jeff

redwing

Clean but serviceable, have two sets of identical outfits,( just in case). Cabela briar pants and khaki long sleeve shirts, little old now this batch(5 or 6 years)patched and mended here and there .Allways get washed after a hunt.Not like some of my mates who some how think its "unlucky"to wear clean hunting clothes.One of them even found a mummified dove in his hunting vest the next year🤣.I'm somewhere between natty and nasty I would imagine.😎

MDash2

Back in the days of limited clothing/vest/footwear I was closer to the nasty attire fashion. It's been a long journey from those days. Now I have multiple of everything and it's more of a "nice but used" kind of attire. 

tut

I buy a different upland shirt every year or so, but looking at my attire this morning I see I'm about to put on a Columbia Upland shirt that's at least 20 years old and a pair of Cabelas Dry Plus upland pants that are probably 25 years old.  The hats change from time to time and certainly I wear out gloves, but for the most part I'm as I was even 30 years ago.   PS.  When I had my retirement physical they looked at my weight from 1980 when I entered on duty and remarked it was the exact same as it was as I was leaving (174 lbs).  I credit that to moderation and good genes.  Mostly the genes which is reflected in the jeans I wear.  :).  

Brad Eden

I don't begrudge anyone who buys and wears nice Upland duds. It keeps some of the UJ Ad Sponsors in business, and continuing to help fund this playground.

I think it's partly dependent on how and where and what you hunt. Ive never owned a pair of dedicated Upland pants. As someone who has always lived in bird country and doesn't need to travel far, and doesn't use any dog electronics, or need to carry much,  a simple strap vest, a long sleeve shirt, and a pair of ratty chaps over jeans, if needed, is the usual northeast grouse and Woodcock cover hopping attire.

River19
12 hours ago, john mcg said:

I tend to wear the same few items every day, although I have lots.

Hunting clothes go seasons without washing....its a patina thing.

This year I finally demoted my well worn Cabela's upland pants from about 2006 or so.  They haven't been "water proof" for about a decade but still worked fine for briars and were warm.  I don't think they have been washed in about the last 8 years or so.......

I replaced them with a pair of LL Bean pants that I wore all season.  Still haven't been washed.......nor will they.

I wouldn't say I look like an Orvis catalog but............but maybe like a guy that shopped at Al's Thrift Shop of Used Hunting Gear......

RMH

My wife referred to my appearance as "hobo chic". That typically referred to everyday dress as well. 

Auto-5

I don’t consider myself especially natty but I tend to shy away from nasty. I usually wear jeans or an older pair of khakis, chaps, a decent shirt with a sweatshirt or fleece top. I have a boyt coat and vests as well as a canvas bird belt that I wear  dependent on the weather. I do have a nice pair of faced pants but I rarely wear them. Since I mostly shoot preserve birds now the need for briar pants has diminished somewhat. 

On the big game side I usually wear jeans of some sort and what ever I think will keep me warm . I have an old camo jacket I’ve worn 25 years so it’s become somewhat of a talisman for me.

I do own more dedicated sporting clothing than I use to or that I really need , mainly because I can afford to now .  I tend to dress better to shoot clays etc than I do for hunting. One thing I’m conscious of and try to avoid is wearing orange or camo clothing into restaurants and businesses  traveling to and from hunting. Don’t know why exactly but it’s something I avoid. 

Swampy 16
10 minutes ago, Auto-5 said:

I don’t consider myself especially natty but I tend to shy away from nasty. I usually wear jeans or an older pair of khakis, chaps, a decent shirt with a sweatshirt or fleece top. I have a boyt coat and vests as well as a canvas bird belt that I wear  dependent on the weather. I do have a nice pair of faced pants but I rarely wear them. Since I mostly shoot preserve birds now the need for briar pants has diminished somewhat. 

On the big game side I usually wear jeans of some sort and what ever I think will keep me warm . I have an old camo jacket I’ve worn 25 years so it’s become somewhat of a talisman for me.

I do own more dedicated sporting clothing than I use to or that I really need , mainly because I can afford to now .  I tend to dress better to shoot clays etc than I do for hunting. One thing I’m conscious of and try to avoid is wearing orange or camo clothing into restaurants and businesses  traveling to and from hunting. Don’t know why exactly but it’s something I avoid. 

I do the same. When I’m driving to and from spots I try not to have any orange showing. It’s a habit being in NJ. I don’t want to announce to any police that I have a firearm in my vehicle.

Clueless1

I've got two different places I keep hunting clothes.  Pair of jeans and a couple flannels in the corner in our bedroom for when taking the dog for birds.  All the rest down in the basement.  My wife has decided to do a "de-clutter" schedule she found online.  Trying to get ready to go Saturday I eventually found the stuff that is usually in the corner.  It was in a basket she had labeled "Rags". 

I did just upgrade some things in the last couple of years.  Mostly because I bought them for my son and then he outgrew them, so I should look pretty good for many years.