jeff88

Your hunting attire - Natty or Nasty?

Spiller

I wear a jaunty hat...

Angus McNab
15 hours ago, grouse28 said:

Dang PhotoShop.

😇

Looks to me like one, if not both of the gents came from PA.

CheckCord

I try and do my best to support the few companies making legit quality Upland clothing. I also wear no cotton while hunting.  I look pretty nice... Except for my face, some may argue.

Wildcat

My brother dresses like the OP when he hunts and I bet folks think he is homeless. I was behind a guy in the liquor store on Saturday, he had on nasty clothes too but then paid over $600 for a few bottles of wine. Reminded me not to judge a book by its cover :)

jeff88

Seems that the trend is more toward nasty than natty.  As far as laundering the duds, the shirts get washed pretty frequently, the 2 pairs of upland pants I switch between get laundered in February whether they need it or not.  

BTW, I have a jacket similar to the one Greg Hartman is sporting, a Cabela's chukar parka that I almost never wear as it is too warm even with the polypro lining not in it.  Grouse 28 is the sartorial champ thus far.  

The picture below is from last season in TX; I just got that shirt for Christmas but so far this year it has been too warm for it.  Keith and I have been hunting in temps above 60 degrees.  Maybe next weekend.  The vest is a Mother's strap model with a hip belt, maybe the all-time greatest invention for upland that I got via the UJ.   In the photo is the always presentable Duncan, a very handsome and well turned out GSP.

20181229_110746.jpg

smash20

I use stuff until it is no longer serviceable, so I don't mind wearing stuff that is well faded and mended.  But it will absolutely be clean.

RJR

I’m retired so I usually put briar pants on every morning.  Check trap line and then take the pup out to see if we could find a bird or two just about every day. I live in a rural area and nobody gives it a second thought about my dress if I’m seen while out.  They will look at you funny if you’re dressed head to toe in orange. 

T-Bone

Greg or Grouse28, I don't see any real hunting clothes listed on the Duluth Trading Co. website? I actually like the look of that vest. Here in the Peoples Republic Of Washington State, 400 sq. inches of  flor. orange or flor. pink, visible above the waist is required for most upland bird hunting.

At age 67, I've hoarded a variety of hunting vests and coats....Filson, McAllister, LL Bean, and Browning to name a few. Seldom wear my Filson strap vest because the metal buckle and metal strap shoulder ajusters can and have scratched gun stocks. I wear an old LL Bean strap vest the most in early season and a Browning upland coat in the late season.

Shirt is usually used Dickies - type work shirt from a thrift store. Pants are from my hoarded supply or the firehose copy work jeans from Dickies.

Fin2Feather

Well used but clean.  At least on the first day.

tut

Me on the left.   I'm thinking as good as one can get.   Not everyone can pull off orange suspenders and make it rock. :)

woodcockhunt2019.jpg

mccuha
2 hours ago, Wildcat said:

My brother dresses like the OP when he hunts and I bet folks think he is homeless. I was behind a guy in the liquor store on Saturday, he had on nasty clothes too but then paid over $600 for a few bottles of wine. Reminded me not to judge a book by its cover :)

Not hunting related but a lesson in not judging a book by its cover.  There was a guy that owned a textile related business not real far from here.  When he’d come to the plants to drum up business. Hed have the same old worn out polyester suit and drive a Tired looking wore out Cadillac.  He lived on the grounds of where his plant was located in a trailer.  A few years before he passed at the peak of his business.  You never would have dreamed it but he was in Forbes top 100 richest    

Randy S

I suppose I look like I'm a construction worker out hunting in his Carhartts. Just exchange the grease and oil stains with dried blood and a few feathers that seem to drift out of my pockets whenever in a checkout line.   

Speaks
20 hours ago, jeff88 said:

As for that old, green denim shirt, after telling my wife about the encounter she's advised retiring it.  It is in the recycle bag as I write this.

Ive had some favorite cloths that I could not let go. I have a UMD hoody that is pushing 12 years old and literly falling appart. Holes all over the sleeves, hood string just fell out as there are not enough scraps of fabric left to keep it in, but I cant let that shirt go yet. My wife bought me a new one but its not the same. 

That said most of my hunting gear is newer right now but that is just because I replaced a bunch of stuff in the last year, not due to nastiness but because it was mostly walmart quality that I bought when I was 20 and dirt poor. In some weird way I feel really weird wearing brand new hunting gear around, hope it starts to show more wear soon, my Orvis jacket made it through the first season is way to good of shape. 

DonT
19 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Things get better when it's cold and the Orvis layers and Hollywood shades are added, making Grouse28 the orangest man in the field - truly the envy of all who know him.

You can't really blame Grouse28 for the extreme "BLAZE ORANGE"   after all he has seen you shoot your own truck in the field while hunting.   LOL 

bkelble

My standard hunting attire consists of a pair of thrift store brown wranglers a size or 2 too big with suspenders.  I wear a tshirt under the suspenders and a button down shirt over top. All my shirts came from the thrift store as well. One is from the gap, but I have founds some Cabelas Chamois shirts for $4 bucks that I wear when it is cold enough.  I wear chaps that I founds on sale at some sporting goods store for $20.  My hat is from Tilley. They gave it to me from a batch they made when they were thinking of trying to make hunting clothing. All told, I usually wear an entire outfit that costs less than some dinners I have purchased. 

I can get pretty ragged before I stand out around here. orange and camo are standard clothing options in the South.