REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
gunsrus

Pick up trucks two door vs four door

gunsrus

I started something on another thread . Personally , I like the shortbed two door 4x4 . I've been fortunate to have other trucks , vans , SUV's  for work , home and play . I'm feeling a little nostalgic now because every brand has eliminated the two door , shortbed 4x4 . I think that happened two years ago . 

My Dodge two door shortbed 4x4 is fine and will probably outlast me . I looked online the other day and couldn't find one used for sale . Now I know why everyday someone will approach me to sell mine . 

It seems that this four door 4x4 bus has taken over where the caravan has stopped . Good for the companies that saw the innovation for building this vehicle . I do understand the need for families that gravitate to the 4 door PU but damn , that is one huge truck and living in the city , I know my wife would have a tough time parking it . I get nervous wth her in the Tahoe . 

I know I'm rambling but remember the days of my youth driving the little two door with my honey sitting close to me . I guess It made me feel like I had it all . 

Any others miss that truck ?

Lurch

Nope. Seat wouldn't go back far enough to fit my Hugh Jass in them. Almost had to drive from the center seat. A two door extended cab with the rear seats removed would be perfect.

WI Outdoor Nut

4 door gives so many options - between dogs and people in the cab, I will never go back. 

chilly460

Nope, I had a '76 F250, '78 F250, '79 F250, '80 Dodge W100?, '86 Ranger, '90 Ranger, '93 F150 Lightning, '03 F150 Lightning, '04 F150 that were all two door.  All I can remember is how inconvenient they were trying to carry anything in bad weather, and hauling people.  

Now that I have a dog, seems absolutely essential to have a back seat.  

That said, I also hate the "limo" length of true crew cabs and my trucks are just "extra cabs" with the shorter suicide doors.  

406dn

If people wanted them, some one would be building them. I used to refuse to own ANY VEHICLE that did not have a manual transmission. Well, those are about as dead as a two door pickup. The only real advantage a short box two door pickup has is that you can turn them around on a dime. I'd hate to tow with them.

Marc Ret

Having owned several two-door pickups (long beds though) in the past, you're stirring up some good memories Al. The positive attributes of bench seats among then. 

Samuel Hoggson

The boss made me buy the '01 as a Supercab 7.3.  Because kids.  Much preferred the '89 regular cab 8' bed 7.3. 

So when it came time to ditch the old girl -  the truck, I mean - the boss said get what you want.  Translated as F250 reg cab 8' bed.  Wish it had a bench, tho. 

Gas, though.  Diesel doesn't make sense anymore.  $11k premium paid up front, ongoing 70 cents/gal more for fuel, all for 2mpg better fuel mileage.  Never mind winter starting/block heater, two batteries, doubling the cost of an oil change, etc. 

Brad Eden
14 minutes ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

4 door gives so many options - between dogs and people in the cab, I will never go back. 

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^, but...the late model (big) Tundras have a decent sized backseat/area in their extended cab models. And that makes for a longer bed than the full 4 door models. We are thinking of maybe getting a camper top which will need a longer bed, so I'm on the fence on which Tundra to get if that's the way I go on next vehicle.

SelbyLowndes

Point of a pickup is the bed space.  Full cab precludes that.  I like someone's idea above for an extended cab with the rear seats removed...SelbyLowndes

Need more guys for a push in the bush, bring another truck.  First one will probably get stuck anyhow.

pa'tridge hunters

I remember my first new truck, a 79 Chevy straight six, three on the tree,  bench seat, and  eight foot cart. Thought it was the best thing in the world.

Boy was I ever wrong. It was good for then, but I'll take what I have now.

Marc Ret
13 minutes ago, Samuel Hoggson said:

The boss made me buy the '01 as a Supercab 7.3.  Because kids.  Much preferred the '89 regular cab 8' bed 7.3. 

So when it came time to ditch the old girl -  the truck, I mean - the boss said get what you want.  Translated as F250 reg cab 8' bed.  Wish it had a bench, tho. 

Gas, though.  Diesel doesn't make sense anymore.  $11k premium paid up front, ongoing 70 cents/gal more for fuel, all for 2mpg better fuel mileage.  Never mind winter starting/block heater, two batteries, doubling the cost of an oil change, etc. 

Is a bench seat even available anymore in a new 2-door Super Duty, Samuel? Funny the little things that go away that one misses. Wing windows and the floor mounted headlight dimmer switch are on that list for me. 

pa'tridge hunters
4 minutes ago, Marc Ret said:

Is a bench seat even available anymore in a new 2-door Super Duty, Samuel? Funny the little things that go away that one misses. Wing windows and the floor mounted headlight dimmer switch are on that list for me. 

The dimmers on the floor were a PIA. After a while they got rusty and would stick from the wet and sand. I think the dimmer on the column is one of the great inventions of the 20th century.

MNice

Back in the day when 4-door club/crew cabs were few and far between (produced for the railroad and heavy industrial construction), I thought they were hideous and an abomination. Now, a newer 2-door seems to be the ugly stepchild although I do have found memories of riding to the cabin on weekends with my grandfather in his 70's era Chevy PU's. A 2-door of that generation is well, classic.

studdog

Why on earth anyone would want a 2 door versus 4 is beyond me.

Brad Eden

A good friend has a 2018 1/2 ton GMC Sierra. It has the "extra cab", in other words it has 4 doors and a back seast but not the full cavernous 4 door crew cab version. A couple weeks ago I went on a combo grouse/hare hunt with him and his grown son and his sons grown friend. We were all reasonably comfortable in his truck. They are making those type truck larger these days it seems.