REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Flairball

Snow goose question

Flairball

Seems like the snow geese season is getting longer and longer. In an effort to expand my shooting horizons, and keep the seasons rolling along, I’ve looked into some outfitters/guides in NY. I could see myself enjoying a few days of sitting in the snow and mud. 

.....but, are snow geese palatable? I never seem to hear anyone talking about their great snow geese recipes. How do they taste? Can they be eaten, or are they just dog food? 

Canuck

Juvenile snow geese (the grey ones) are delicious. Lighter colored meat than the adults. Don't throw away the legs and thighs as they are the best parts although most people seem to only take the breast meat. Spring geese are fatter than fall birds.

gunsrus

Used to have a small Chinese restaurant around me several years back . The owner and I became quite friendly . Many times after I had taken my Dad to the preserve when we shot 20-30 pheasants , too many for us to handle , I would bring him some . Also brought quail and chukers . He was always happy to get the game . I had many nights of free food for myself and the family . 

I started to shoot waterfowl , mostly geese that were shot in ocean tributaries . I never could cook them right and brought them to my friend.  After several attempts he scolded me ,"no more geese" . It ended my waterfowling career . 

I will say Polecat's geese pastrami is spectacular but that's about it . 

mccuha

I've been wanting to for a while get in on a really good spring migration hunt. Never took any serious looks.  That would be a pretty fun adventure maybe even a UJ group hunt if someone had the right contacts for the right area. I'd say the central or MS flyway would b the best bet.  Ive hunted snow geese before and they can be difficult to pattern. They feed in a spot for a couple days straight, you think you got them. They no show and fly to the next field over.

shoot-straight

i think the snow geese over wintering near me taste better than canada geese. 

although geese and ducks seem similar, their meat is quite different. geese is like beef, and i substitute it as such. i am not really a fan of duck. 

Rick Hall

Blues/snows are our favorite gumbo and fajitas birds.  And I agree with the above advice to keep the legs.  Think a lot of the "sky carp" crap is sour grapes: if I can't get 'em they must be bad.

Tim Frazier
On 1/8/2020 at 12:28 PM, shoot-straight said:

geese is like beef, and i substitute it as such.

This is the secrete IMHO

quailguy
On 1/8/2020 at 9:43 AM, Flairball said:

Seems like the snow geese season is getting longer and longer. In an effort to expand my shooting horizons, and keep the seasons rolling along, I’ve looked into some outfitters/guides in NY. I could see myself enjoying a few days of sitting in the snow and mud. 

.....but, are snow geese palatable? I never seem to hear anyone talking about their great snow geese recipes. How do they taste? Can they be eaten, or are they just dog food? 

Were I going snow goose hunting again, I would get one of those pop up blinds to lay in and stay out of the mud to some degree. 
The diet of the goose and the quality of the preparation thereof are of prime importance in good eating snow geese. It is tough to beat corn fed

Canada geese properly prepared so far as waterfowl go. Snow geese were alright, but never “really good”. Imho. 

bigjohnsd

I survived college subsisting on a diet largely consisting of Snow Geese.

A snow goose breast, properly de-silver skinned and marinated in a Teriyaki like marinade, then seared in a cast iron pan for a few minutes until no more than Medium Rare is damn fine food.

mccuha

I’ve killed quite a few and they aren’t bad.  Never could understand the term sky carp.  They however don’t in my opinion hold a candle to specs. Of course no other waterfowl does 

Rick Hall
8 hours ago, mccuha said:

I’ve killed quite a few and they aren’t bad.  Never could understand the term sky carp.  They however don’t in my opinion hold a candle to specs. Of course no other waterfowl does 

At our house that depends on what we're doing with them, as specks don't hold up to some seasonings as well as blues/snows.   We prefer light geese for fajitas, sauce piquant or gumbo.  Specks are, however, our favorite pot-roast goose.

Not that tastes don't vary, knew an old Cajun gal, whose family plucked for our camp, who preferred young blues/snows for pot-roasting.

mccuha

I generally just grill my specs like you would a steak.  The fajita thing sounds interesting.   You know for someone who lives where you do and kills as many waterfowl as you do you probably have tons of recipies for waterfowl that are awesome.

jeff4mc

I use to shoot a lot of snow's 20 years ago.  The best way i've found to cook them was to marinade them in rice wine vinegar and a little soy sauce.  Wrap strips cut to 1.5-2 inches thick with bacon and grill them until the bacon was done.  My 0.02

1971snipe

I've always roasted the specks and made gumbo with snows.  But I gave my older brother a snow and he roasted it very, very slowly, covered with foil most of the time, and loaded up with vegetables, and the meat was almost falling off the bone like a turkey, and tasted great too.  

Geese are getting harder and harder to come by here in SE TX, and I'd love to bag a few snows right now.  

h20fwler

We shoot a BUNCH of snows and have cooked them every way you can imagine, normally on snows we breast them just because of the volume we shoot. With snows we make a lot of jerky, bratts, summer sausage and grind it with cheap bacon into burger.

Agree with other posters, specks are the best eating...we pluck them if possible. Nothing like good roast speck right out of the oven unless it is cold sliced roast speck sandwiches with swiss and mayo!

Really any of the geese are pretty good roasted, we cook canadas any way you would cook beef the meat look and texture is just like beef and they eat the same things cattle do grass and corn.