REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
OHhamster

GMC Terrain-thoughts

OHhamster

Started a thread in general about how you don’t want to start your day. Still waiting to hear back from the other drivers insurance company but pretty sure it’s a total loss. Anyways, looking at a 2014 GMC Terrain. Anyone have any experience with them?6962B05A-B6F7-43CE-8B8B-229AC1023DF5.thumb.jpeg.c0d94f4bdedb5346d7ecd198df209908.jpeg

OHhamster

Should probably add that it has 72k miles and they’re asking 12,990. Figure I’ll have at least 5k to put down once insurance company gets back to me

blanked

Why not another rav 4

OHhamster
9 minutes ago, blanked said:

Why not another rav 4

I liked the rav4 but was wanting something a little bigger. Wouldn’t mind something with 3rd row seats for family traveling. Would love a Honda Pilot, Toyota highlander, or 4Runner but can’t find one with less than 100k miles in my price range. Want to stay around 15,000 give or take a little

Two Barrels

We had a Terrain for a one week rental vehicle out west a couple of years ago.  It was plenty large enough for my family of four and all of our baggage.  I felt it was underpowered for mountain driving.  My daily driver is a diesel 3/4 ton pickup so I might have a bias.

casts_by_fly

The terrain is a rebadged equinox I believe.  My sister had an equinox and we had a rental one for a while.  Not bad, a little gutless with the small 4, but decent driver.

you'll probably find an equinox cheaper for the same mileage but if you have a specific one in mind so be it.  For this mileage/age you’re looking at I’d buy based on condition and service history. 

thanks,

rick

Hub

My wife has the Terrain. It's a nice ride, plenty of room etc.  Intermediate kennels require the back seats down to face front to back.  It's pretty gutless, but does well in the snow with all terrain and good tires and gets good mileage.  We won't be getting another one.

Rockford Setters

Check out the Traverse or Acadia.  Not much difference in price but more room & power.

smash20

I don't know if 2014 was one of the model years included, but one generation of the Equinox/Terrain was widely listed as a pre-owned best buy the last time I was in the market.

Bobby
On 1/10/2020 at 1:40 PM, casts_by_fly said:

The terrain is a rebadged equinox I believe.  My sister had an equinox and we had a rental one for a while.  Not bad, a little gutless with the small 4, but decent driver.

you'll probably find an equinox cheaper for the same mileage but if you have a specific one in mind so be it.  For this mileage/age you’re looking at I’d buy based on condition and service history. 

thanks,

rick

As a retired GM engineer who worked on the Equinox/Terrain platform, both the model being discussed and the current model, I take umbrage with the term rebadged. Though these models share quite a bit, the 2014 models assembled at the same plant, they are uniquely designed and engineered and validated vehicles.

With that said the 4 cylinder motor is small but reliable. I had a 2014 with a 6 cylinder and AWD, it was more than sufficient for me. I prefer the styling of the GMC version over the Chevy but for ride and efficiency there isn't much difference. I didn't use it to haul dogs often, but I could fit, not easily, 2 wire crates in the rear, but not side by side. I would classify the size of the crates as intermediate,  they are 22 in wide, 30 deep and I can't recall the height.

WI Outdoor Nut

I rent a lot of vehicles and often get one of these.  Nothing wrong with it, but not what I would call a great vehicle.  Gutless, tinny and just all around okay. 

Flush
On 1/12/2020 at 5:14 AM, Bobby said:

As a retired GM engineer who worked on the Equinox/Terrain platform, both the model being discussed and the current model, I take umbrage with the term rebadged. Though these models share quite a bit, the 2014 models assembled at the same plant, they are uniquely designed and engineered and validated vehicles.

Just curious what the difference in engineering between the Equinox and Terrain is?

They share chassis, engines and drivetrains correct?

Different shock valving and spring rates? Actually the online source I just checked even lists the shocks as being the same.

Believe you there are more significant differences, just not sure what they are?

Speaks

In that size might be worth looking at the Kia Sorento. Bought my wife one new in 14 for something just a hair over 20k and it has been one of the best value vehicles I have ever purchased. Has the 3rd row and ample power. Ours has been dead reliable and held up very well even with my wife putting 100k on it in that time (though most new purchased vehicles should be for the first 100k anyway). I got a rental one today when I got to Tampa and while not drastically different than my 6 year old one it has improved somewhat. 

Okhotnik
5 hours ago, Speaks said:

In that size might be worth looking at the Kia Sorento. Bought my wife one new in 14 for something just a hair over 20k and it has been one of the best value vehicles I have ever purchased. Has the 3rd row and ample power. Ours has been dead reliable and held up very well even with my wife putting 100k on it in that time (though most new purchased vehicles should be for the first 100k anyway). I got a rental one today when I got to Tampa and while not drastically different than my 6 year old one it has improved somewhat. 

Kia's are not bad 

Or go just go with a Toyota or Honda product.

Tim Frazier

I wouldn't blink at a HIghlander or Pilot with 100,000 miles and good maintenance records.  Some real deals on older Pilots if your patient.  My wifes Highlander is an amazing vehicle and just last weekend I took it down a steep overgrown 1/2 mile drive no one wanted to take their truck down due to traction (ice/snow)  I put it in snow mode and it was a non-event.