REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
OHhamster

GMC Terrain-thoughts

Bede
3 hours ago, Tim Frazier said:

I wouldn't blink at a HIghlander or Pilot with 100,000 miles and good maintenance records.  Some real deals on older Pilots if your patient.  My wifes Highlander is an amazing vehicle and just last weekend I took it down a steep overgrown 1/2 mile drive no one wanted to take their truck down due to traction (ice/snow)  I put it in snow mode and it was a non-event.

I sure would. I got such a deal. When the twins were small and we needed to travel with diapers, two pack and plays, a double stroller, and the dog in his crate it was utilitarian. Otherwise, it is way too much vehicle for most people most of the time. Fuel economy sucks. It was also incredibly costly to own. Constant problems. Not talking routine maintenance. Myriad front end issues, exhaust issues, radiator/transmission fluid radiator cracked and split open spewing out contents and leaving me stranded, shifting issues (prior to aforementioned event). Ruined me on Honda's though I realize they are generally great cars. The first gen Pilots at least are far from trouble-free cars. They are cheap one the used market for a reason. 

Unless I needed to carry more than 3-4 passengers frequently, I'd but a smaller SUV (CRV, Rav4, Forester, etc) and a used rooftop cargo carrier....

Tim Frazier
5 minutes ago, Bede said:

I sure would. I got such a deal. When the twins were small and we needed to travel with diapers, two pack and plays, a double stroller, and the dog in his crate it was utilitarian. Otherwise, it is way too much vehicle for most people most of the time. Fuel economy sucks. It was also incredibly costly to own. Constant problems. Not talking routine maintenance. Myriad front end issues, exhaust issues, radiator/transmission fluid radiator cracked and split open spewing out contents and leaving me stranded, shifting issues (prior to aforementioned event). Ruined me on Honda's though I realize they are generally great cars. The first gen Pilots at least are far from trouble-free cars. They are cheap one the used market for a reason. 

Unless I needed to carry more than 3-4 passengers frequently, I'd but a smaller SUV (CRV, Rav4, Forester, etc) and a used rooftop cargo carrier....

Wow, totally different experience than we've had with the 2012 Highlander or two friends have had with their Pilots of about the same vintage.  Even loaded to the roof (literally), 5 of us to New Orleans and back 24.5mpg, just the wife and I, 27mpg on occasion.

Bede

I got 21 on the highway. Maybe. 

A smaller SUV in the class I mentioned is actually not that small. My Forester gets 34mpg on the highway, easily. Of course, I'm comparing two vehicles from very different generations. However the new pilot is still advertised at 26mpg for awd. 

24mpg in this era is not good economy. Especially if this is simply to get a third row that is too small for human, or additional cargo space for occasional trips that could be mitigated by a rooftop box when needed. At least this was the decision I made because I am cheap.

RookieEP

I feel for Bede his Pilot was crap.  Im on my second- 2013, 1st 2003 just maintenance. 03 sold with 150,000+ miles. 13 has 93000.  Had a ton of calls when put up for sale on 03- people want em.  Gas mileage avg 20-21 i drive fast. Very solid in crappy weather, plenty of room.  For my wife we drove the new pilot vs higlander-  liked the highlander better.  Wife has 16 highlander a nicer riding and handling super smooth bullet proof feeling.  Pilot think has more room. I think you cant go wrong with either.  One key on Pilots Id only buy a used if the transmission fluid was by Honda

OHhamster

Appreciate everyone that commented on this! Ended up finding a 2014 pilot for 16k. that will be the new bird mobile. Still waiting for the insurance check so I gave them $300 for now to hold it for me. Hopefully I’ll be able to pick it up this wknd

RookieEP

Good luck.  Do the maintenance and drive her like