REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
WI Outdoor Nut

Is color THAT important

WI Outdoor Nut

Been looking for a new truck.  Due to my pulling needs, I require a few extra bells and whistles on the trucks I purchase if I stick to a 1/2 ton, which I will probably due in this case.  I found a truck that meets all my requirements, and then some, but the color is not what I would normally pick - a hot red (still talking about trucks, not females).  Normally I prefer the natural colors of silver, pewters, grey, to help cover the dirt and scratches from hunting.  But, the cost is about $6-7K less than all the other trucks I have been looking at.  I asked my wife what she thought, and her response was, she won't be the one driving it, but in the past I found a too good to be true deal on a honda pilot, minus the color, and it warmed up to us. 

So, if you found a vehicle that was "perfect", minus the color, for a savings of $6-7K, would you pull the trigger?

Brad Eden

I don't think I could live with a bright red truck. But saving that much coin could possibly sway me. But after a while I would realize that I had a bright red truck.  I also don't like blue trucks. White are so so. Gray is OK but they are almost too common. Black looks great when clean but like chit when dirty. Ive had two black trucks. I like muted earth colors like the spruce slate green of my current ride. Aesthetics are probably more important to me than most having been in the design/art field my whole life.

mccuha

I really don't care what color vehicle I drive. But if the dealer has a selection of the same truck in different colors at the same price I usually go with a brownish color.  I've decided that the next truck I get will be a work truck grade and I'm sure there will be a lot less options in color. I'm hoping they'll be more durable and less bells an whistles.  Seems like the last couple trucks I've had including the one I have right now, the bells and whistles break or go out before I've made the last payment.  I asked my buddy that owns the dealership I buy from if I could get a truck without auto door locks and auto windows. Said they don't make them any more.  Heck they cant even get a tail gate to stand up and work right for just a few years.

MNice

Creepy, I had the same thought about 20 minutes ago. I prefer black or white vehicles and I saw a new brick red F150 driving in front of me and thought, maybe if the price was right...hmm. 

Clueless1

For $6k you can come paint my truck hot pink if you want to.

Dogwood

I like red.  Easy to find in the parking lot. Less likely to get  hit too.

Gawd I hate white for some reason.

WMassGriff

Well my preference is one that doesn't show dirt but you can buy that principle for $6K!

WI Outdoor Nut
11 minutes ago, WMassGriff said:

Well my preference is one that doesn't show dirt but you can buy that principle for $6K!

In my head I was doing the math on # of car washes. 

1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

. Black looks great when clean but like chit when dirty. Ive had two black trucks. I like muted earth colors like the spruce slate green of my current ride. Aesthetics are probably more important to me than most having been in the design/art field my whole life.

Agree.  Had one black truck.  I washed and waxed that one more than any other one.  Looked great when clean.  Looked bad when dirty. 

OH Grouser

Black was not my color preference when I bought my current Silverado, but it had the options I wanted without those I didn't want. I used the 'not my color preference' to try and beat the dealer down a little more on price. My gawd it gets hot inside when sitting out in the sun during the summer months (black leather interior also). And it's tough to keep clean. I like the truck, but don't think I'll ever own another black one. Red isn't so bad, especially if the price is right...

Roger

Speaks

Lets see, I have owned a white truck, a silver truck, a red truck (though was a 77 F150 with original paint that I bought in 07 so not sure you could call it bright red), a dark blue truck and the current sort of lightish blue truck. If I had my choice it would be brownish or a dark green. All that said I dont really care to much in the end. I know black trucks are supposedly more work but only if you want them to be, I washed mine less times than I could count on one hand in the 4 years I owned it. 

In the end all my trucks are dust colored half the year and partly white the other half, its just the accents that show through all that you have to worry about :) . Guess thats my short way of saying I dont particularly care about color. 

Spin

Fire Engine Red or Candy Apple would suit me fine. After tramping around all day with a dog or two the sight of that red truck

the thought of watering down the dogs and myself. Stripping off my gear and planting my butt on the front seat are all a welcome part of a typical

day hunting. Also if I'm going to go bopping around in the boondocks in a truck I want Other Hunters To See It before they squeeze one off.

A buddy's Uncle was cruising a two track near the Soo in the UP in his International Scout and caught a .308 slug in the head. 

Generally speaking I'd rather drive a truck that's more visible than less and for a couple of good reasons.

bobman

My trucks get washed when it rains, my 95 F-150 is 25 years old and is red sorta. I’ve seriously never washed it, maybe one of my kids did they borrow it occasionally.  I do keep the inside clean however

bmeador

As long as it isn't pink I'm good...  Save the coin and treat the new truck to some out-of-state hunts!!!

Dave Quindt
5 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Gawd I hate white for some reason.

I do too, but the next one I own might be white for the simple fact that they stay cooler in the summer.  Easier on the dogs when the are with me.

Chukarman
25 minutes ago, Dave Quindt said:

I do too, but the next one I own might be white for the simple fact that they stay cooler in the summer.  Easier on the dogs when the are with me.

This ^^^^ ... or, possibly silver.