REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Road Kill

Brad Eden

IMG_3915.JPG

Quick seared a couple medallions of Backstraps. Yup. I did lose about 1/4 of one strap. He had a little road rash on one side of back.

Brad Eden

All set. Processed all the rear quarter meat yesterday. Vac sealed a few bags of small steaks, a couple stew meat and the rest burger that I grinded with a little ground pork. Ill gift a good lot out since I wasn't able to as much this fall having only killed one deer. I have a friend stopping over in the next couple days to pick up the carcass and some scraps for coyote baiting. Good thing. The dogs especially Cash beeline it to the garage door whenever let out so they an inspect it and get some licking in. That's if for me. We have enough red protein to last us the year. Any more road kill deer will be ignored (unless still alive) or Ill call Coyote hunting friends about it. Processing deer, even a small one is satisfying but a laborious chore for one person. 

Birdcountry70

Nice job. If you got the rear quarters and backstraps you got the majority.  Montana now has roadkill salvage permits. My wife's cousin got a large bull moose that his boss hit with the company truck.  That's one roadkill butcher job I'd gladly take. He said he got nearly 400 pounds of good meat from that one.

Mike da Carpenter

4241C890-AF8C-4EDF-9F0F-71A9CDB65790.jpeg.58b6a57406344bb737a034cf1c05c26c.jpeg

Birdcountry70
3 hours ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

4241C890-AF8C-4EDF-9F0F-71A9CDB65790.jpeg.58b6a57406344bb737a034cf1c05c26c.jpeg

That looks like greasy horse! Never trust a Hogwallup.

OldSarge

Responded to a call tonight of car vs deer. Driver and wife were fine, car was totaled, deer was worse. No salvage on that. A friend of mine is going to salvage it for dog food though. Their Great Pyrenees eats them from sniffer to pooper.