REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
erik meade

Phone in Northern Ireland and Ireland quick advice needed

erik meade

My daughters are headed out to study abroad this semester. One in Ireland the other in Northern Ireland. 

We we are on Verizon now-

phones are paid for, unlocked iPhone 7 I think. 

I was was supposed to have checked on all this but forgot so now am last minute. We used to be on T-Mobile and it was effortless and cheap to go overseas. It looks like Verizon wants to charge $10 per day to use phones over there so that is not a good option.

Should they just get a prepaid SIM card when they arrive? And if so, any guidance on that?

signed - father doing last minute what he was supposed to do a month ago. 

WPG Gizmo

Get T-Mobile plans for your daughters

erik meade

I am looking into that, be T-Mobile says not for extended stays, and not sure if we switched them now, and they went to Ireland next week for three months if T-Mobile is kosher with that.

Jack L

I had my son get a phone when he got over there. Don't recall the plan. Have her talk to other kids who've been and see what they used.

uplandave

Not sure on the areas you've mentioned but a friend who travels the world for a fortune 500 company uses AT&T. Says it is the best in his opinion for outside the US. Good luck, Dave 

Jim Vander

Getting a sim for an unlocked phone is simple and cost effective in UK and I expect is same in Ireland. Ive had very good luck with 3UK.

terrym

My daughter moved to England for a couple years in September. She was able to use her iPhone and buy into a great plan without having to buy another. Much cheaper and fabulous coverage than any carriers in Canada. 

Lurch

I spent quite a bit of time working in County Antrim outside of Belfast. When I was there, we had a company phone so didn't have to deal with any of that on my own bill, so can't help you there, but if you/they have ny questions on either the Republic or Nor'n Iron,  I've wandered most of it. Feel free to PM me anytime.

erik meade
11 minutes ago, terrym said:

My daughter moved to England for a couple years in September. She was able to use her iPhone and buy into a great plan without having to buy another. Much cheaper and fabulous coverage than any carriers in Canada. 

Do you know what plan?

terrym
5 hours ago, erik meade said:

Do you know what plan?

I will ask. 

smash20

Ireland and N. Ireland?  Hopefully they still get along when this is over.  😉

birdhuntervet

Most folks over there use Viber or WhatsApp for voip calls. Most all places (pubs, fuel stations etc)  have free available wireless.

FlyChamps

I don't know if Wi-Fi calling is available with an iPhone but it is built into my Verizon Samsung S7.  Wi-Fi calling is free for calls back to the US and worked great from Paris, London, Wales and Israel on 3 different trips.  All hotels, pubs, and many public places had free Wi-Fi, it's almost ubiquitous, in fact it was available on the tour bus in Israel.

I have the $10 per day outside the US calling set up on my phone but have never used it because Wi-Fi has sufficed.

You may consider buying cheap phones and service to use locally in Ireland and using Wi-Fi calling for those international calls to mom.

Lurch

Just talked to a friend who's daughter was in Dublin spring semester last year. They're AT&T and paid ~$20 a month for her to be able to use her iphone over there (limited data and such), but mostly she just used wifi calls.