REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
MUSTANGER7

DASH HARD BOILED EGG COOKER - GREAT

Randy S

Stove top with about 1/2t salt in the water and no matter the age, they peel perfectly. 

paul frey

Boil water. Add eggs for 13 minutes. Take eggs out and out in an ice bath for 5 minutes. Shells come off like magic!

erik meade
30 minutes ago, paul frey said:

Boil water. Add eggs for 13 minutes. Take eggs out and out in an ice bath for 5 minutes. Shells come off like magic!

Are you leaving the water on boil for those 13 minutes, or do you turn the heat off when you put the eggs in?

13 minutes seems a long time to me if left on boil.  But I guess everyone likes their eggs different.

I just found out if you google hard boiled eggs A LOT of people have done a lot of tests with a lot of pictures.  And have a lot of different conclusions. 

Cooter Brown
21 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

No secret, Erik. Happy to share. No canning involved to scare ya.

Simmer all the above for 15 minutes or so. While brine and eggs are warm, add a ladle full of the mix to a quart jar, place three eggs, add more brine and repeat till the jar is full. A large mouth quart jar works great and holds nine eggs. The amount of brine will fully cover 14 eggs- 9 in a quart jar and 5 in a pint jar. I fill the jars as full as I can with brine and then screw the lids on. Rinse off any overflow of brine and put in the refrigerator. I don't start eating them till they've been in the fridge for a minimum of a week. 

Hope you enjoy them. 

Marc, maybe a dumb question but are you cooking the eggs in the brine mixture or separately?

Marc Ret
24 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

Marc, maybe a dumb question but are you cooking the eggs in the brine mixture or separately?

No, I cook them separate from the brine. I should have made that a bit more clear. I didn't mention cooking the eggs because everyone does them a little differently. 

* I grew up thinking boiled eggs were supposed to have a green ring around the yolk. It's a PA Dutch thing... cook it till it's dead, then cook it some more. Quickly learned when I got out on my own, there are better ways to treat food. My boiled eggs don't include the color green.🙂

paul frey
23 hours ago, erik meade said:

Are you leaving the water on boil for those 13 minutes, or do you turn the heat off when you put the eggs in?

13 minutes seems a long time to me if left on boil.  But I guess everyone likes their eggs different.

I just found out if you google hard boiled eggs A LOT of people have done a lot of tests with a lot of pictures.  And have a lot of different conclusions. 

Left on boil. They are not overcooked. I can’t take credit for this. I saw it on the food network. I can’t think of her name right now. Lady from Oklahoma who lives on a ranch?

SelbyLowndes

After cooling I just roll boiled eggs around between my hands until cracked all over. Then they just skin out smoothly with a pull...SelbyLowndes

Spin
On 1/12/2020 at 11:01 PM, 1971snipe said:

We have a Krups that we ordered on line.  It cooks up to 6 eggs at a time.  

The eggs aren't in the water, they sit above the water, and there is a vent for the steam to escape.   The more eggs you cook, the less water you use, and the less time it takes.  Fewer eggs, more water is used, and a longer cooking time til done.  I haven't quite figured out the principle.  Also, there's a small plastic spike that's for putting a pinhole in each egg prior to cooking.  So far I haven't had the nerve to see what happens if the eggs are not "vented" with the pinhole.  

Anyway, my wife says I think too much, especially for a hard boiled egg cooker.  

Less area - less area to heat. It will likely get better natural convection. Your pickup cab will get warmer faster as the interior space is considerably smaller and the change in the interior space configuration in the egg cooker might result in more even airflow around the eggs. That's my theory.

1971snipe
3 hours ago, Spin said:

Less area - less area to heat. It will likely get better natural convection. Your pickup cab will get warmer faster as the interior space is considerably smaller and the change in the interior space configuration in the egg cooker might result in more even airflow around the eggs. That's my theory.

Sounds good to me.  

I've been using ours a lot lately, btw.  An egg each for the wife and I, and an egg each for the pups.  

lee sykes
On January 15, 2020 at 1:26 PM, paul frey said:

Left on boil. They are not overcooked. I can’t take credit for this. I saw it on the food network. I can’t think of her name right now. Lady from Oklahoma who lives on a ranch?

8 minutes seems about perfect for me.