REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
OutlawTorn

What do you do?

OutlawTorn

I cant help but notice that when some of you talk of your work, it sounds like you have interesting jobs.  What does everyone do (if youre comfortable talking about it)?

It might be interesting to see different walks of life our members come from.

I am a business banker at a large national bank, I wont say which one, only that there are so many friggen stagecoaches around me I dont know what to do with them all!  My day is mainly spent prospecting for new business and determining credit worthiness...woo hoo!

I have been working as a Land surveying technician for way to long.  The plan is to be a Registered Surveyor in roughly 18 months.  Then I should be able to actually get paid for the work I currently already do.

Phred

I'm a stock jock.  I head up the trading for a small mutual fund and hedge fund.

Phred

Box Guy
I sell corrugated boxes and other packaging products, stretch film, shrink film, tape, dunnage material, etc. Sounds boring but after 25 years with the same company I still enjoy going to work. I get to meet lots of interesting people, not stuck in an office and enjoy my travels, mostly local.

Longrifle
Short version - I lend money or make a promise to lend money to insurance companies, then follow them around like a bookie. If our stock price doesn't climb out of the cellar we may change our logo to a stagecoach or a white square in a blue circle.

erik meade

I am a philosophy instructor at a state university.

Mostly I teach freshman Critical Thinking classes.

I also teach formal logic and business ethics.

I love almost all aspects of my job except for the daily hit on my ego in not having finished a Ph.D. ...

Maybe some day

roysetters3
What I do is hunt and fish. Life is grand when you're retired. Roy

jbeck
I am a systems analyst / project manager for a large financial services company.  Right now, I am responsible for way too much - everything from defining system requirements to maintain scope to elevating code.  I do work for a great company with great people, which makes the cubicle farm tolerable.

adcsteve

Wildlife biol retired from NJFW, I now run a nuisance goose control company.

Liked what I did with the state, and I like what I am doing now.

My second job is trying to talk "Scratch" onto going goose hunting, woodcock hunting or fishing instead of doing work around the house.

Lurch
Engineer for a heavy duty transmission manufacturer. Do a lot of vehicle testing in interesting places - guess basically I play with trucks in the sand, same thing I did when I was three.

ckfowler180
Mental health counselor working in a residential setting with delinquent teens, specialize in those with Attachment Disorder and inappropriate sexual behaviors but I get all kinds.  20 years in the field now, 14 with the sexual behavior youth and NO real retirement plan.  Never a dull moment and very gratifying when things go well.

nobirdshere
Risk management/regulatory compliance manager for a large bank and jazz guitarist. If I didn't have the day gig at the bank, I would simply be a starving jazz guitarist.

Pat Berry
Raise the big $$ for a private college.

grousegunner
Sales manager for a large consumer products company.

Techical Supervisor for a telecommunications company.