REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Irishwhistler

~ IRISHWHISTLER PHOTO GALLERY 1 ~

Irishwhistler

ocAexUYeQM+Y1oJ2I%Z2Rw_thumb_b8fd_Fotor.jpg
~ Deck Watch ~  Our Labrador Retriever MAC gazing intensely through the window overlooking our back deck whilst on guard for squirrels raiding our birdseed.

Cheers,
Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Irishwhistler

f5rZMQT8RW6udrd277xlWg_thumb_b918_Fotor.jpg
~ Hitching A Ride ~  A wee Nuthatch is seen resting atop an ice encrusted Black Duck decoy on this frigid February morning. The mercury was hovering at a chilly 6 degrees F when I captured this image.

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Irishwhistler

ffB6YipwQNC1HP%qgTC3Tw_thumb_b9f5_Fotor.jpg

lJdXXwASTYiix5NptOwHjg_thumb_b9b5_Fotor.jpg

FvXhYmvGQFGccNSY93aRFg_thumb_b9cc_Fotor.jpg

S0KeuspKT5a7sUIAyOIXtA_thumb_ba03_Fotor.jpg
~ Gadwalls ~  I observed this Gadwall pair dabbling amongst numerous Mallards yesterday afternoon.

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Irishwhistler

DwSYaKlLT%Wh1Whl2US5ag_thumb_b984_Fotor.jpg
~ Whistlers ~ I have heard the whistling of their wings many times as they flew overhead whilst pitching into my decoys.

q42948tCQV+2jrqzeSTaXA_thumb_b993_Fotor.jpg
~Common Goldeneye Pair ~ Hen and Drake.

YmvKSb2sSzmwN1FQnJf3Cg_thumb_b997_Fotor.jpg
~ Common Goldeneye ~  Amongst my favorite species of diving ducks, they are also known as "Whistlers" a name given due to the whistling noise their wings make whilst in flight.

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Irishwhistler

Aye Mates,
Yesterday, Sunday 2/16/20, we had a warming trend here in New England with temperatures increasing to the upper 30’s, so my training partner Rick and I decided to get some retrievers out for some work. We had a nice day with focus on land work, though we did allow the dogs a dip in a frigid open stream which they had a blast in. The session allowed for all of the dogs to run together initially to both burn off some energy and to warm up their muscles for the drill work to come. Obedience work was emphasized throughout the session. Marked retrieves on land for the younger dogs (singles and doubles). The older dogs were drilled with some work on blind retrieves. The session ended with some work on “HOLD” conditioning for Rick’s younger dog “TURBO”.
B9QQg07XSJ6wN2Sq%SO2Pw_thumb_ba73_Fotor.jpg 
TURBO, MAC, REV, JACKSON, and TRAD are commanded to the “DOWN” position and must remain prone patiently until released by command.

8bv2vaoIRI6LhuVeHSs6dw_thumb_babc_Fotor.jpg 
~ UNDIVIDED ATTENTION ~ The retriever trainees were commanded to SIT and LOOK throughout the session. Here, TURBO, REV, and JACKSON are seen giving Rick their undivided attention. Maintaining eye contact betwixt trainer and retriever(s) is an expectation formed via conditioning of the dogs we work with.

ObzbpVwPSIO6QxgDVB3OIw_thumb_baab_Fotor.jpg
~ TTF JACKSON LAD O’ CLOONFINISH JH ~ is seen working through a food plot. JACKSON is 16n months old and is developing nicely as both a gun dog and as a hunt test K9 athlete.

wAnKVixsTSSn4VqZj4jENQ_thumb_bab7_Fotor.jpg 
~ GROUP REST ~. The retrievers are put at rest as a group throughout the session as a matter of obedience training. Dogs that can be controlled in this manner are much more enjoyable to work with, learn patience, and understand that the trainer / handler is in control of their movement whilst afield. In total, exercises such as this build cooperation betwixt trainer / handler and retriever. Each dog is learning that he is part of a team . Exercises such as these translate into retrievers that are a pure joy to hunt with.
Cheers,
THE DOG WHISTLER ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Irishwhistler

1s9AfoxCQnOAI0hjeTXODA_thumb_baeb_Fotor.jpg
~ CONIFER ~

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Irishwhistler

xcpEaHIQT2mP4R0WC0p0EQ_thumb_bb77_Fotor.jpg
~ Mystic River Mergansers ~

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Greg Hartman
On 2/18/2020 at 10:53 PM, Irishwhistler said:

1s9AfoxCQnOAI0hjeTXODA_thumb_baeb_Fotor.jpg
~ CONIFER ~

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Mike:

I like this one because the exaggerated and unrealistic colors are the whole point of the image and they work very well.  I do that now and then as well - like in this pic with overblown colors of harbingers of fall taken up in my woods in August:

8-15-13 - Harbingers - 1.jpg

Usually, however, I try to improve an image (try to make a snapshot into art, if you will) by much more subtle manipulation.  I do not want the viewer to immediately see the processing, or even to know that it was processed.  For example, this is a straight OOC image of snow geese setting back into the water just as darkness fell the other day:

Test - 2.jpg

This is the finished version, which has better composition (by getting rid of the birds that didn't add to the composition and cropping to focus attention on the desired subject), eliminates distractions and non-essential elements of the image (like the cars in the background), brightens colors just a tiny bit (to make up for the fact that it was nearly dark) and makes other subtle changes you can see if you compare images.  I try to show more or less what I "felt" when on the scene; and try hard not to have the image look heavily processed, even though I spent quite a bit of time doing exactly that.

Test - 1.jpg

Best!

Greg

Irishwhistler

ohsHK%yKQC+4aRyWgduvIw_thumb_bb99_edit_Fotor.jpg 
~ Buckets In The Bush ~ I captured this shot of sap buckets in a sugarbush just north of my home this afternoon.

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Irishwhistler

4lxcPt2KQ1GVIVNYUHE98Q_thumb_bbb5_Fotor.jpg 
~ Downy ~

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Irishwhistler

Pb1VEhr5R2qkiLD0zKrLxw_thumb_bc2a_Fotor.jpg

lQ5dHSffTYGGnBL6xV419Q_thumb_bc27_Fotor.jpg 
~ Bald Eagle ~ (Immature)
Photographed this immature Bald Eagle on the French River in Thompson, Connecticut this afternoon.

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Irishwhistler

AvHAAnXNRfCmFLDBqAV1eQ_thumb_bc36_Fotor.jpg 
~ White Water ~  I found this pair of Mute Swans resting on the waters of the French River on this cloudy afternoon.

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Irishwhistler

DSC02034_Fotor.jpg 
~ Avian Reflections ~

Aye Mates,
An image captured yesterday o' a pair of mute swans and their respective reflections on the surface o’ the French River. Now mind ye, as beautiful as they may be, this lad is not a fan o’ this introduced / non-native specie.

Cheers,
Mikey ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸

Irishwhistler

DSC02175_Fotor.jpg 

~ A BLUEBIRD DAY ~ Rain, snow squalls, and intermittent moments o' sunlight all mixed with turbulent winds were experienced throughout most of today, yet we had a number o' Bluebirds visit us during the early afternoon. A quick grab o’ me camera allowed me to capture this image.

Cheers,
Mike 🇮🇪🇺🇸☘️

Irishwhistler

DSC02186_Fotor.jpg 
~ Time To Go ~

A trio of Canada Geese make for the sky after being jumped off of a small pond, their chosen escape route is a precarious one.

Mike ☘️🇮🇪🇺🇸