REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Scar

cocktails

Scar

I enjoy good liquor.  I usually drink it straight up with a cube or two of ice but I also enjoy a well made cocktail.  I was wondering who amongst us will admit to the pleasures of a mixed drink and if any would be willing to share their recipes?

Two that I enjoy.

Cherry Smash-

Equal parts bourbon and cherry juice with two teaspoons of simple syrup. 

Garnish with an orange wedge.

Gin and Tonic-

Squeeze a wedge of fresh lime into the glass.

A decent gin (I use Hendricks or Plymouth but don't mind Bombay) mixed 1 part to 3 parts tonic water.  

Garnish with a lime wedge.

I love a well made Old Fashioned but have yet to perfect a simple home recipe that I'm satisfied with.

gaberdeen

I do love a good gin and tonic. I really like the fever tree brand of tonic water. 

NJ_Springer

Great topic looking forward to the responses and recipes. I for one don’t drink mixed drinks but am willing to try. I’m a good Scotch/Bourbon kind of guy, in a Glencairn glass straight up, or with a drop of water or sliver of ice at most. Of course love great beers such as but not limited to solid IPA’s, Stouts,  etc... 

hayslope

Love G & Ts. There are many decent gins out there right now. For something London Dry style, you can never go wrong with Plymouth. There is a great gin that's made in Philadelphia called Bluecoat.

For those that like gin or vodka and tonic, you now have access to the finest tonic on the planet in "Fever Tree". It's made by the folks from Plymouth gin.  Be forewarned.......once you taste one of their tonics, you will never be able to drink any of the others that you find in a grocery store.

Everything else that I drink is brown and gets poured into a glass all by itself!

Spiller

I drink Martinis.  

My ratio is 4 units Beefeater to slightly less than 1 unit Martini and Rossi Extra Dry with a twist. The precise ratio is 3.7 to one....hahahahahahah

served cold, very cold...

I drink wetter Martinis now then when I was a kid.

I don't mind gin other than Beefeater but they should be about 94 proof like Tanqueray, Seagram's Distillers Reserve or Bombay Sapphire. 80 proof gin screws up the ratio....and as far as gin drinks, I'm not a fan of tonic water at all....but if that is what we're all drinking then I'm in.....

I don't mind a slug of whisky or whiskey.

Honestly, I usually drink cheap beer.

Scar
3 hours ago, hayslope said:

Love G & Ts. There are many decent gins out there right now. For something London Dry style, you can never go wrong with Plymouth. There is a great gin that's made in Philadelphia called Bluecoat.

For those that like gin or vodka and tonic, you now have access to the finest tonic on the planet in "Fever Tree". It's made by the folks from Plymouth gin.  Be forewarned.......once you taste one of their tonics, you will never be able to drink any of the others that you find in a grocery store.

Everything else that I drink is brown and gets poured into a glass all by itself!

You are probably in a different part of the country than I but where would I most likely find "Fever Tree" tonic on the shelf?

SelbyLowndes

I too will occasionally take a drink.  I'm not sure my favorites qualify as 'cocktails', but for me it's Scotch & Soda in the Fall and Winter, and Gin & Tonic in the Spring and Summer.  No recipe necessary...SelbyLowndes

Real cocktails taste too good to me and make me drunk, so I avoid them (sad but true).

airmedic1

I’m a fan of smoky, peaty single malt scotch but have recently branched out in to bourbon over a couple of ice cubes.  I love gin and tonics year round but mainly in the summertime. My wife has recently developed a taste for Old Fashioned's and Manhattans but I’m not a huge fan.  I like beer but they only have domestics at the little bar I go to so I drink Bud Light there but will have IPA’s at places that have them.  I don’t drink anything with soda, I.E. Jack and coke etc!

ness
1 hour ago, Scar said:

You are probably in a different part of the country than I but where would I most likely find "Fever Tree" tonic on the shelf?

We see it in stores here in KC. Also on Amazon.

There's a Missouri company that makes a tonic syrup that's really good. A little hard to find. http://pinckneybend.com/pinckney-bend-classic-tonic-syrup/

Love a vodka or gin and tonic. Occasional margarita, martini (4 to 1), cosmopolitan because my wife likes them.

WMassGriff

Traditional Beefeater Martini for me unless I am sipping Single Malt Scotch or Irish.

Spiller

As far as cocktails go at home or out to dinner....I also like a Manhattan too...done correctly, up, and cold...but it must be a Bourbon one, not a rye or Canadian one..and the restaurant or bar has to do it correctly..

I'm at  a 5:1 with sweet Vermouth (whatever is around)...none of that "perfect" stuff.....also a few drops of angostura.... good cherries...Luxardo Marachinos....

My speed rail is usually Jim Beam..... but I really like Bulleit and Makers.......

I like everything actually....just some things I like more than others....

Hey man, if I go to a Chinese Restaurant and they have a Tiki Bar, then I'm all into Tiki drinks...Mai Tai's, Rum Runners, Scorpions, Fog Cutters...whatever the whim is.....

robp

I like old fashions

The old fashion. Seems like some where along the way someone started mashing up fruit and pouring whiskey over it probably the same SOB who started making an old fashion with brandy at least a close relative. My bet is was someone from Wisconsin.
I don’t think this cocktail was intended to be this complicated.I think its intent was to take rot gut whiskey and make it drinkable.

Try this, its simple

1 cube Demimari sugar
3- 5 dashes Angostura bitters
Dash of Club soda
2.5 to 3 oz Rye or Bourbon
One very large ice cube in a traditional old fashion glass a square one  or a round old fashion glass a round one
A slice of orange slice 3/4 by the length of the orange
One Luxardo cherry or Griottines cherry. Don’t take a chance with you health or bartender reputation with a sub standard maraschino cherry from likes of a SA gas station grocery isle.

Which whiskey to use? Templeton Rye, Four Roses bourbon, Bulliet Bourbon or Rye, High West Double Rye,Buffalo Trace bourbon. No need to go crazy, remember the intent of this cocktail is to take  rot gut and make it drinkable any decent quaility whiskey will be great for this application.

Place sugar cube in old fashioned glass and saturate with bitters, add a dash of soda water. Muddle until dissolved. Rotate glass to coat the inside of glass with sugar mixture.Add ice cube and add whiskey.  Twist orange slice over the top of glass to extract some of its oils into your mixture. Garnish with orange slice, and a cocktail cherry.

watermen
52 minutes ago, robp said:

I like old fashions

The old fashion. Seems like some where along the way someone started mashing up fruit and pouring whiskey over it probably the same SOB who started making an old fashion with brandy at least a close relative. My bet is was someone from Wisconsin.
I don’t think this cocktail was intended to be this complicated.I think its intent was to take rot gut whiskey and make it drinkable.

Try this, its simple

1 cube Demimari sugar
3- 5 dashes Angostura bitters
Dash of Club soda
2.5 to 3 oz Rye or Bourbon
One very large ice cube in a traditional old fashion glass a square one  or a round old fashion glass a round one
A slice of orange slice 3/4 by the length of the orange
One Luxardo cherry or Griottines cherry. Don’t take a chance with you health or bartender reputation with a sub standard maraschino cherry from likes of a SA gas station grocery isle.

Which whiskey to use? Templeton Rye, Four Roses bourbon, Bulliet Bourbon or Rye, High West Double Rye,Buffalo Trace bourbon. No need to go crazy, remember the intent of this cocktail is to take  rot gut and make it drinkable any decent quaility whiskey will be great for this application.

Place sugar cube in old fashioned glass and saturate with bitters, add a dash of soda water. Muddle until dissolved. Rotate glass to coat the inside of glass with sugar mixture.Add ice cube and add whiskey.  Twist orange slice over the top of glass to extract some of its oils into your mixture. Garnish with orange slice, and a cocktail cherry.

Really like this old fashioned recipe, or something very close.  But I'm from Wisconsin and sweet or sour with Brandy is a staple. Been a fan of Kentucky Mules lately. (bourbon instead of vodka in a Moscow Mule).  Hendricks and tonic in the summer and the standards with Ice.  I'm a fan of the Buffaloe trace stuff.  Specifically Elmer T lee or Eagle Rare and a globe.  Makers seems to make the best Manhattans for me.  A little vermouth and a cherry and I'm good.

kgb

I'm even lazier with an old fashioned, use ginger ale vs soda and muddled sugar.  Haven't made any in quite a while but will stick with the process when/if I resume.

Found gin-gin mules online and those are great, had bought a case (6 bottles) of Plymouth Navy Strength gin over 2 years ago, finally opened the last of them this year.  Kind of harsh for a martini so I shake with ice, but as others have said here it is worth searching out a quality tonic.  Thank you for the Pickney Bend suggestion, will look for that one and by summer when the weather is right for G&T will have regular strength gin to use.

The Red Hook is a fine drink as a Manhattan-like cocktail.

bigjohnsd

Try an old Royal Navy Standard a "Pink Gin" served at happy hour in the wardroom of every Royal Navy ship.

Traditionally, Pink Gin refers to a simple combination of gin and bitters, a drink that had its origins in the Royal Navy.

Don't be fooled by today's Phoo-Phoo Millenial concoctions. Today’s Pink Gin is far removed from the traditional spirit-forward cocktail consisting of a good measure high proof gin poured into a glass that was swirled with Angostura bitters and finished with expressed lemon peel.

Pink gin is also known as gin and bitters and it is, quite simply, those two ingredients. Specifically, it uses Angostura Bitters, which gives the entire drink a slight pink hue. It is a fabulous aperitif to enjoy with dinner and a great way to show off your favorite bottles of gin. 

This classic cocktail was originally created for use by the Royal Navy. In the 1800s, it was common to give sailors bitters as a medicinal treatment. By mixing it with gin, it was more palatable and the gin would have certainly added to its appeal. You may also hear the name "gin pahit" in 19th-century sailing stories like those by W. Somerset Maugham. This is essentially the same drink, the name has simply been lost to time. The word "pahit" is Malay for "bitters."

Ingredients