REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Treerooster

How about a Travel Call

Treerooster

I used to organize a Travel Call on a different board and was thinking of doing one on this board. Ran it by Brad and he is ok with it.

The way I ran it was to get dates interested hunters could use a call and then schedule a "team" of hunters on a call that was shipped around to them. Since turkey seasons started earlier in the south and later in the north I could usually get 4 to 6 hunters on a "team" giving them about a week with the call (whether they killed a bird with it or not) and allowing time for shipping between hunters.

Right now I just want to see if there is enough interest in doing a Travel Call. If you think you might be interested in being a Travel Call hunter please let me know.

I would also need a some guys to host a call (a call to be sent around to the hunters) and if anyone is interested in hosting a TC please post up.

If there is enough interest I will make a sign up post to get the Travel Call going.

This is a call I hosted the first year we did the Travel Call and it was signed by the hunters that used it.

2071816376_MyhostedTC2008Resized.thumb.JPG.a07352d6b5f3b98528f28b964f9fea47.JPG

Brad Eden

I’d be interested. Maine season runs the month of May. Although I don’t typically use slate calls I’ll give it a go. 

RJR

Make sure it’s not no mouth call. 

Treerooster

Type of call is up to the call host. Usually it's a pot of box call as most can run one. Mine just happened to be a slate.

One of the neat things about the TC was getting to try something different. All the Travel Calls were custom made calls and it was nice to get to run a custom call. Some of the call hosts were the call makers themselves and some were just guys that had purchased a custom call. I think just about all of the calls were made by small production call makers. Individuals that made call "out back" in their shop or garage.

Mouth calls were never used...to hard to get all the guys' signatures on one. 😀

tomturkey2x2

I would like this!

hobbes

I may be interested, but I'm not totally committed to it yet. I've always been concerned about keeping track of it or breaking the darn thing.  I don't make a habit of that, but I don't normally carry valuable calls either.  I'd have to put real effort into using something other than a mouth call. 

Put me down as a maybe.

Treerooster
1 hour ago, hobbes said:

I may be interested, but I'm not totally committed to it yet. I've always been concerned about keeping track of it or breaking the darn thing.  I don't make a habit of that, but I don't normally carry valuable calls either.  I'd have to put real effort into using something other than a mouth call. 

Put me down as a maybe.

From all these years seeing you post on various turkey boards I think you would be a good Travel Call hunter. The TC is not for everybody tho, some guys like to hunt with calls they are familiar with, and understandably so. I asked the TC hunters to make an effort to use the call while hunting. It doesn't have to be the only call they use. I myself usually use a mouth call to finish a turkey. The TC call will probably be a box or a pot call. They are not hard to learn and can be used as a locator or to just start a bird. You might even call for one of your kids with it, or have them try it.

The object of the whole TC thing is to have a little fun, experience something different, and maybe enjoy some camaraderie with your teammates.

As far as losing or breaking the call...I organized the TC for 8 years and we had a total of 60 calls go around to various parts of the country over that time. I think one even went to Hawaii. There was a problem with 2 calls that I can remember. One the lid cracked. It was a stress crack in the wood and nobody's fault. The call still sounded good enough tho. I happened to be on that team and used it.  The other time a call did break (a pot call). It was quickly sent back to the call maker and fixed (for nothing). I don't think anybody on that team even missed being able to use it, maybe one guy was short on the time he had it.

I protected my TC calls from the elements as I would my own calls...by putting them in a plastic bread bag. I guess a guy could sit on it or forget it somewhere but when I have something out of the ordinary with me it just hasn't been a problem. Even when I am fairly sleep deprived from a long turkey season. 😊 When I post up the rules the call host is advised that there is a risk in hosting a TC. I take measures to prevent the loss of a call, but it can't be guaranteed.

There hasn't been any interest in being a call host yet and if nobody wants to I will host a call or maybe 2 if need be. But it was a neat experience for me to host a call and if someone wants to I will defer to them. I should mention that a TC host does not have to be a TC hunter. He/she can be, but there were a lot of call hosts (many of them call makers) that did not hunt with a TC.

hobbes

What is necessary to host a call?  Nashville would have been a great place to pick up a call this weekend.  It's too bad that I flew in and out of there the week before the NWTF convention 

Treerooster

All you need is a call. Box or pot is best as most guys can run them and if you want the call signed by the hunters they usually have enough room. The call needs to be shipped to the first hunter (by a certain date, usually early to mid March). The shipping schedule for the team is included with the call (I would provide that to the host online) and any instructions that the call host wants to include. Like having the hunters sign the call with their screen name maybe or their real name, date, etc. I can advise on that also but that is up to how the host wants handle it. Most call hosts included a pen so the call was signed with the same type ink...stuff like that.

You may not see your call again until late May or June when turkey seasons are over. Most of the time the call host did NOT hunt with their own call but that could be arranged if desired.

If you want to be a call host just let me know. If there are most call hosts then needed, I would draw names from a hat to see who gets to host.

hobbes

I'll follow along and see how many folks express interest.

Fishnfowler

I made a box call for UJ and sent it around a few years ago and I believe it went on the UJ auction, but can't remember and am too lazy to look it up.  It was a bit of work to figure out how to travel it around, but in the end thought it was worth it.  I occasionally wonder if any birds still get taken with it. If there is a call that circulates, I'm in for any period of time between April 15 and May 31. Earlier is better.

Treerooster

Well we just may have a team together.

Got 3 "for sures" and 1 maybe. I could go in and be a 4th "for sure". Prefer 5 on a team if possible but 4 can work.

Still open for a call host or I can provide a call if need be.