REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Scar

Off-Season Hobbies

Scar

I need something to take up some spare time this summer besides drinking beer.  I thought I might give metal detecting a try.

Anybody do any hobby detecting?  If so what machine would be a good starter?

Any good books or other resources that might be beneficial to a beginning detector?

mccuha

That would be fun.  My wife’s uncle does a little.  The problem around here is unless it’s a precious metal anything worth having will probably be basically rusted away. Out your way with low humidity and the arid conditions you would have a chance to find some cool stuff. 

My off season hobbies revolve around fishing, doing a lot of reconnaissance for new places in state and out of state to hunt, work the dogs and make as much money as I can on my welding gig to pay for my hunting and traveling.  

1971snipe

I can't recall off hand what the brand name is, but I paid about $200 +/- for a detector package at a local Academy sports store two or so summers ago.  In fact I posted a similar thread when I was shopping, if not here, the now-defunct pointing dog journal forum.  

I really had fun that summer with my grandson, we had a summer long contest with it.  We found mostly junk, but had a few interesting finds.  But when I've needed it the most, like recently trying to find a nut I dropped in the yard, or a couple years ago trying to locate a gold ring a buddy of mine dropped, I've been unsuccessful.  

bmeador

FISHING... Just saying...

WI Outdoor Nut

For me, it is fishing most of the time.  But I also hunt 5 different properties for deer hunting, and our list of things to do is extensive.  Add 14 food plots to the mix and there is not a lot of downtime. 

paul frey

Work, train dogs, go to the gym. 

Millriver

Fish, camp, and try to play golf for me.

Oh yeah, and work. Forgot about that.

Auto-5

Fishing, golf and hiking for me, Also after wishing I had learned to play the guitar for the past 50 years Ibought one and started trying to play. So far Ive mastered strumming out a few barely  recognizable 3 chord light rock tunes. Nevertheless  I’m the feature player of our back bedroom which is probably the pinnacle venue for a self taught slub with a tin ear and the touch  of a blacksmith. 

SelbyLowndes

I fish when hunting season's out.  Springtime I walk the plowed fields after a rain surface hunting for arrowheads.  My oldest son likes metal detecting but all he's ever found other than junk has been a few boy scout brass buttons...SelbyLowndes 

Mike Connally
On 2/13/2020 at 3:00 PM, Scar said:

I need something to take up some spare time this summer besides drinking beer.  I thought I might give metal detecting a try.

Anybody do any hobby detecting?  If so what machine would be a good starter?

Any good books or other resources that might be beneficial to a beginning detector?

A friend owns 5 acres on the border of the Bull Run Battlefields. His property is a goldmine for civil war booty. His two sons are constantly bringing home cool stuff. 

Fishnfowler

Fishing and gardening.  Lots of flowers, mostly dahlias, but many others.  Have 40 acres in N. Idaho with a cabin, spend time there getting it ready for my kids after I die. Get firewood for next winter.  Go swimming in the locals only, cliff jumping spot, lots of laughs there. Throw in a couple of river trips and before you know it, bird hunting time rolls around again. No metal detecting, but pan a little gold on the creek every now and then.

PIOBill

I fish and spend time scouting the areas I want to hunt. Here in Texas we can hunt hogs, varmints and various things year round. Shoot sporting clays, skeet and trap to get ready for bird season.

Don Steese

I'm an olde phart. Mostly I go to Dr. appointments, then to the pharmacy, then to the physical therapist, then to the chiropractor, then home to rest up from all the running around. Really excited about my upcoming knee replacement. If it's as much fun as I think it will be, I'll have the other one done. Judy was jealous so she's thinking about getting one too!! Seriously. Getting old does tend to change ones leisure time activities. 

Dongotto

Could find some old coins and that takes you into a very cool hobby. Old currency is fun to learn about. 

stwilgefortis

Fishing, tennis, listening to baseball and hoping to see grace kelly in To Catch a Thief