REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Spiller

I heard a thought provoking insight about hunting...

topdog1961

I live in a Ohio and the fact of the matter is that the deer population is way down, at least in my area. I am a “brown is down” guy at least with respect to antlerless deer. Up until about two years ago, my son and I would routinely take two good eater deer each early season, then hunt for racks. Enough to overfill our freezer and still share with landowners. Once he discovered HS football and girls, he hunted way less. But I kept hunting about the same amount and took one very small dear season before last, and I only shot it because I promised deer sausage as a wedding present, and none last season. I picked up a road kill deer last week just to have some in the freezer. 

And I don’t use cameras 

Dakota Dogman
On 2/22/2020 at 8:49 PM, bobman said:

If you are serious about hunting horns you will end up with unused tags, it’s a part of trophy hunting 

On 2/23/2020 at 2:19 PM, Big Al said:

When younger I was the brown and down hunter.  At 74 if it's not a trophy I just enjoy watching it in the wild.  👏👏

I don't think this is new. When I was a kid most everyone was opening morning hunters in my area. After that deer were hard to get, but guys settled into pickups with coffee too. 

The trophy thing has grown for sure.

But ever since I was a kid I have been listening to grandpas say "I've killed enough deer. I am not shooting unless something good comes along."

Even read that OConnor let the biggest buck of his life go at the end. 

Then again in SD blue tongue and chronic wasting are having a major effect on numbers... But traditionally it is also a challenge to draw tags in SD (since the Hills left over the counter tags). 

No answers from here...

God bless,

Dakota Dogman
On 2/22/2020 at 8:49 PM, bobman said:

On 2/23/2020 at 2:19 PM, Big Al said:

👏👏

Double post

SelbyLowndes

My age and constitution make it a problem every time I shoot a deer.  I can no longer drag'em and I sure can't pick one up to put in the truck.  Having a cell phone and three grown boys in town who'll take off work and come load Daddy's deer is a godsend...SelbyLowndes

quailguy
On 3/21/2020 at 2:37 PM, Big Al said:

Those bucks would be considered major trophies where my property is in Montana.  We regularly shoot 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 year old deer and rarely do we see bucks this size.

We think it's a combination of soil nutrients and genetics that keeps the antlers on the smaller side.  It's certainly not hunting pressure.

The biggest Whitetail buck I ever saw was in Eastern Montana, somewhere within 50-75 miles of Circle in 2009. We were bird hunting and my shorthair prodded a huge buck out of a likely looking draw. The big boy came out about 40 yards from me, did not notice me, and kinda sauntered away looking back at the dog. 12 visible points, about B&C 160-170, 200+ pounds. His big old belly swung back and forth like a beef when he was walking. A monster buck imho.  

Brad Eden

1E7E35B6-0478-4154-9789-1B1F58C23C6F.jpeg

8EAE43BE-12F4-46E7-A025-21800D66DCB0.jpeg

A couple prospects for this Fall. I hadn’t been to camp for 7 months, and finally pulled this camera a week or so ago. Batteries had run out in April. Not bad. (Time is actually PM and AM respectively) The bottom buck is also wide and the tines long...he’s gonna be something for a Maine big woods buck this fall if he is still around. Also photos of lots of does, and a spike, and a heavy fork horn and a big 10. To original point of this Topic. These cam photos will do nothing to help me kill either of these bucks, other than showing me my instincts were right as to where to hang a new stand, and that spending time in it may be worth the hours of boredom. This is in Downeast Maine, the worst region for deer hunting in Maine. But now I know better now.

Dave in Maine

Those are big deer, Brad.

I think suburbanization has a lot to do with it. They go where the food is lush (gardens and landscaping) and the cover good and will tolerate our presence so long as they have some thick stuff to disappear into. There are deer packed into edges and corners of suburbia where you would never believe.  Years ago, while living in Jersey, I saw some monster bucks sneaking through people's backyards in Little Falls, i.e., at the intersection of NJ 3, US 46 and the Parkway, for those who know the area.  For those who don't, looking east along NJ 3 from that spot one has a straight-shot view of the Empire State Building maybe 12 miles away as the crow flies.  I've seen huge road-killed does in Secaucus.  They get into the swamps there.  In the Little Falls area they into the rugged cliffs and ravines, then raid the gardens and landscaping.

One of my brothers lives in the city of Pittsburgh and has deer (and turkeys and pheasants) regularly in his yard.  He's on top of one of the hills there.  The game gets down on the hillsides where it's too steep for us to build and too thick to walk but only 50 or 75 yards from houses.

In none of those places can you pop off a rifle, slug gun or even flintlock.  Too close to houses.  Not even a bow.

Get into the big woods, be they the Poconos or Down East, and the feed is less and the space more.  They spread out.

As to hunters passing on the first brown they see, well, there has always been a prejudice against shooting does and still is. 

spring

To the point of the OP, I heard the same logic years ago as deer hunting TV shows became so common; it was said that the younger hunters ended up with higher objectives and standards because of them.