REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
paul s

Woodcock

doodlecrazy

Northern MN has woodcock but still 10-14" of snow in traditional woodcock cover. 

Rogue Hunter

The little two acres spot on the nature trail is still holding birds. Yesterday morning Lucy pointed and held four. In the PM she pointed and held after the flush on four more. And I busted two more. Don't know how long they will stick around but sure is fun for the both of us. I think we're going to drive forty miles over to a spot that should be holding birds, today or Friday.

Marc

We managed another quick check today to see if the birds had arrived.  Gus had a couple unproductive points, but there was not even any splash.  Maybe just wishful thinking on his part.

49702197092_91ce22447f_b.jpg

paul s
On 3/22/2020 at 9:34 AM, Big Al said:

How did you ever see that?  I need to take you morel hunting.

It’s easy to find when your dog is pointing the hen

paul s

Went this morning with a young lady from the university of Rhode Island. Our objective was to find hen woodcock on nests. We were successful 

E41EDBD9-D34D-4115-B1D9-6EF726460B28.jpeg

Marc
12 minutes ago, paul s said:

It’s easy to find when your dog is pointing the hen

It looks you first saw them show up in your area 23 Feb, and one month later they are successfully nesting.  Seems about right.  Another 20 days or so and the chicks will hatch.  

Six months from now - hunting starts!

Millriver

Flushed 2 today. We had 6 inches of snow here on Monday night that has settled to about 2 inches. The birds were around open seeps. It’s the first time I’ve ever seen Woodcock tracks in the snow! Very cool.

MAArcher

Wow, hope this snow didn't ruin many nests...

Millriver
2 hours ago, MAArcher said:

Wow, hope this snow didn't ruin many nests...

That’s my thought as well. I haven’t found a nest yet where I’m running my dogs. I looked again today. As soon as I find one, I’ll be done there.

Did find turkey tracks though. I’ll be back for them!

WI Outdoor Nut

Went out last night again with dogs and wife.  We moved about 30 of the little fellas.  Was a hoot seeing them do their dance  Still haven't seen a nest yet, so game on!

2020-3-26 backing.jpg

Rogue Hunter

Went for a drive today. Pointed or moved eight birds in a couple hours. Not great, but sure is nice having the opportunity to get the lovely Lucy on some birds. Pinned one bird between the dog and myself. Watched it for half a minute as Lucy repositioned on the bird, and the bird being sneaky and trying to scurry away.

Can't last much longer, so we're going back up to the big woods tomorrow.