REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Jazz4Brazo

Recovery Gear...Who's packing it?

Jazz4Brazo

We've had Amazon Prime for awhile...use the video a lot and my wife shops occasionally.

Other day I got her log in...next thing I knew there were almost a dozen packages arriving over the next two days 😄 May have found a new hobby 😱

So on to the question...who packs recovery gear in their hunting rig? If so what...I recall some topics on winches and Hi-Lifts but what about shackles, tow straps, and kinetic ropes...maybe some MaxTrax treads? Anything else on your fav list? Or do you like the thrill of riding in naked with now cell signal and a long walk out??

Just curious...so wassup in your rig?

J4B 

flint

the best thing is having a friendly farmer nearby with a tractor. Everything else is a PITA.

Currently, it’s a 2WD, albiet with locking diff. That knowledge, and wisdom of my years, keeps me from getting INTO most situations. For those other times:

Tow strap. Kinetic rope. Tree-saver. Hi-lift jack. Come-along. Bottle jack. Chocks. FLASHLIGHTS. Air compressor. Saw. 

polecat

Yep. Tire chains, steel cable, air compressor,deep cycle battery,9000 lb. winch, snatch block,cell phone charger,tow strap,battery chain saw and such. Should have had a second spare this October.

Windrider

I pack recovery gear, usually used for others.

2WD into problems, 4WD out.

4WD into problems, 4WD with full lockers on both ends out.

Something to ponder.

JoeFroESS

First part of recovery gear is a buddy in a second truck.

I carry a kinetic rope, shackles, tow straps, tree savers, shovel, extra jack, boards, saw, fix a flat.  Also have great tires. 

The kinetic rope and shackles have saved us a couple times and I have saved others with it.  If I took the money offered to me, it would have paid for itself easily.

Jazz4Brazo

Kinetic rope...check 

Shackles...check

Tow strap...check

Tree Saver...check 

Shovel...check

Air compressor...check

Come Along...how useful is one in recovery situations? Recommended specs...guess it's cheaper than a hitch winch (BTW how expensive is a hitch winch?).

J4B 

bruski

4WD does not mean you can go everywhere.

All it means is when you get stuck it will be in a far worse place than with a 2WD.

See above. 2WD in, 4WD out.

browndrake

Similar to most here:

Shovel

Tow straps

Shackles

Chain

Come along

ratchet straps, large and small

Tire chains

Air compressor

Tire plug kit

Jumper cables

Jump starter

Saw

A change of clothes, extra coat, bedroll, a few days food and water.... All in case the above gear doesn't get me out.

My peanut butter actually saved me during Elk hunt.. Muffler and tail pipe fell off but was stuck under truck and couldn't be removed without cutting or bending it.  Not knowing it had just come off, I had backed up and bent it, making the situation worse.   I couldn't force it back into place and into the grommets that hold it there, even after mostly straightening it out with the come along and a near by fence post. Couldn't even pull it on with the come along. 

However, after holding it up with a couple ratchet straps, greasing up the grommets with some peanut butter, and pulling with the come along it slid right into place.

hayslope
10 hours ago, polecat said:

Yep. Tire chains, steel cable, air compressor,deep cycle battery,9000 lb. winch, snatch block,cell phone charger,tow strap,battery chain saw and such. Should have had a second spare this October.

Reminder: park near Bob!

River19

Don't forget to pack some common sense in that mix.

If I am heading out alone, which is 50% of the time I tend to avoid sketchy areas.  I usually have proper tow straps, shackle, bottle jack and maybe some additional dimensional wood for said jack.  A good solid air compressor is also something I need to throw in there as mine died while trying to get my Ram tires to 75psi ........frankly I wanted to kill it as I hated it.

Max Trax are cool and all but unless you are diving into the fashionable trend of Overlanding and spending thousands on putting heavy racks on to hang that Sh** on then they are a huge space suck on the interior.

Speaks

For car recovery I do have an air compressor, a munch of tow straps, a come along, and a few other similar goodies under the rear seat of the tundra. Tire chains might not be a bad idea but once stuck would be impossible  to apply. I do have a back pack I keep in the truck with goods I would need to survive for some time if needed, I honestly couldnt tell you exactly its contents right now but it for sure includes rain gear pants and jacket, wool socks and undies, multiple fire starter kits, a GFB small forest axe, multiple knives from a junglas down to a scalpel, fishing kits, sowing kits, etc. 

polecat
15 minutes ago, River19 said:

Don't forget to pack some common sense in that mix.

If I am heading out alone, which is 50% of the time I tend to avoid sketchy areas.  I usually have proper tow straps, shackle, bottle jack and maybe some additional dimensional wood for said jack.  A good solid air compressor is also something I need to throw in there as mine died while trying to get my Ram tires to 75psi ........frankly I wanted to kill it as I hated it.

Max Trax are cool and all but unless you are diving into the fashionable trend of Overlanding and spending thousands on putting heavy racks on to hang that Sh** on then they are a huge space suck on the interior.

Steve, Your Upland Lexus can probably go more places than a big 4x4.

GLS

Both my 2003 4x4 Sequoia and 2016 4Runner have 2" receivers front and back and solenoid connected plugs to power my 8500 lb. Warn Winch with 100' of the synthetic rope. The rope vs. steel cable cuts 19 lbs. of weight off the cradled winch which is  currently tied down in the back of the 4Runner behind the dog crate.  I have an assortment of snatch straps and block, D-Rings, gloves,  cigarette lighter powered air compressor, folding shovel in a bag all of which fits in the back.   I have a pair of knock-off Max Treads on top of the winch and a construction plastic bag to put them inside if and when they get muddy.  The big difference between 2 wheel drive and 4x4 is with 4x4 the tendency is to get stuck deeper in the woods.  Winch on front is to recover someone else.  Winch on back is to get me out of the mess.  I never go in the woods without my Garmin Mini InReach.  In the 5 years I've had the winch, I've only had to use it once when the Sequoia fell into the hardened ruts of an MRAP which I tried to straddle and high centered.  MRAP vehicles have 48" tires and can tear up a dirt road, especially when wet.  I pulled out backwards.  Gil

IMG_20200301_075902.thumb.jpg.86c8331b0b32a2d0dee31069d45eaba2.jpg

WPG Gizmo

It is easy to get into a spot that you will have a hard time getting out of IF you dont use the grey matter between your ears first.  Solo deer hunting back in the 80's I got into a spot that I had been down many times before to get to a place I wanted to go through you had to drive through a long water filled trench as long as you kept moving you were fine.  What I didnt know was that others had been through before me and tore up the road under the water so about halfway through I high centered and was stuck.  I had at the time a lifted Toyota pickup and the water was even with the bottom of the window track on the door so I was in 4 + feet of water.  NEVER shut off your motor in a situation like this it will suck water into your engine and your done.

It took 2 full size pickups with straps to get me out of there 11 hours later had I used that grey matter I would not have driven down without checking it out first.

All the recovery gear in the world will not get you out of a bad situation if you dont know how to use it.  The Jeep has a 9000 pound winch on the front plus I have a kit with the appropriate gear like straps, blocks and other assorted things.  I have a Axe you would be surprised how handy that is cut a few branches stuff them under the tires and slowly drive out a old military E Tool works great also Gloves are a must so is a good first aid kit.  2 flashlights are better than one. Depending on where your going food water shelter is good to have along shelter can be as simple as a roll of plastic and some rope.

If your off alone tell someone the general area your going to be in that way if someone has to come looking they have a starting place.

River19
4 minutes ago, polecat said:

Steve, Your Upland Lexus can probably go more places than a big 4x4.

It is nimble......just a 4 runner with a nicer interior from that era (and assembled in Japan).  But I do like the manual transfer case and center locker 🙂

The ICON suspension out back is nice as well......