REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
1971snipe

Gardening 2020

1971snipe

I know many areas still have ice and snow, but we've had no winter here in SE Tx.  Temps never got below freezing.  If you're not planting yet, are you doing any planning?

I've always planted on Good Friday, so I'll wait til then to plant field corn. But I plan to get some tomatoes and peppers planted in pots tmrw and/or Sat. Looking at Park's Whopper tomatoes this year.  Maybe some others.  

Other than that, the pineapple pear tree is blooming, biscamp pear is just now putting on leaves, fig tree has leaves, and blackberries are blooming. Grape vines and pecan trees are still bare, as is the plum tree.

I'm interested in planting some hops, but I need to find a spot suitable for that, and do some research.  

Cheesy

I've lived on my current property for 3 years, been too busy to get a garden going.  Formerly I'd have 40 tomatoes, 40 peppers, 20 hills of squash, 80' rows of okra, multiple rows of beans, etc.

I'll likely get something started this year, knowing it won't be the best.  

Aunt gave me 6 starts of blackberries 2 years ago that she had gotten from starts from grandpa's before he passed away.  Didn't take great care of them the first year, but got them trained on fence wire and runners rooted and going well.  Should have a decent berry crop this year.  Old house after 3 years had enough berries that I was picking about a gallon every other day for a few week period.  Blackberry jelly or smashed for ice cream is about my favorite.

On field corn, I'd heard it said that it is never too early to plant it the first time....

Dongotto

I will plant potatoes and lettuce in a couple weeks. 

Alaskan Swamp Collie

3 foot of snow in garden. Pile of snow 6 foot high in front of greenhouse, but started tomato and pepper seeds this week. Gardening requires optimism.

Clueless1

Just ordered a small greenhouse off Amazon because of this thread.  Thank you for reminding me my daughter said she would like to start plants this year.  Anything a teenage daughter will agree to do with you, you take it!

BBlizzard18

I’ve got a solid two months before anything gets planted outside in VT, and that’s the hardy stuff like onions, which are under the grow lamp.  I’ll start some tomatoes, herbs, peppers in another 2-3 weeks.  Snow is starting to retreat, but I don’t trust March, or early April.  

rideold

We're starting to think about it.  1/3 of the garden is under garlic so that will become our late summer/fall planting area.  The rest needs turning/weeding/amending once the ground isn't frozen.

Brad Eden

Garden/raised beds still under some snow but it is melting. I won’t even start thinking about the vegetable garden until mid April and won’t start prep or seed sowing until May. Planting transplants etc. starts in earnest after Memorial Day. We have a short growing season.

BBD21BA4-2DED-41A7-9277-628F0454343C.jpeg

My oldest Lexi with her two Cavs while visiting at very end of June.

ness

Started tomatoes, peppers, lettuce and ground cherries a couple weeks ago. Under lights in the basement right now. Last frost around tax day here. 

Mike da Carpenter

Our oldest son and his girlfriend have decided to make a project out of our tiny garden this year.  He started an Earth Sciences “Club” at the High School and they just now took soil samples in and found out our soil quality wasn’t where it should be for veggies.  Will mend the soil soon, then start to planning what we are planting this year.  I’m thinking all the good stuff that ends up in salsa, and quite possibly some Brussels Sprouts in the front flowerbed if I can sneak them past my wife.

1971snipe
6 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Garden/raised beds still under some snow but it is melting. I won’t even start thinking about the vegetable garden until mid April and won’t start prep or seed sowing until May. Planting transplants etc. starts in earnest after Memorial Day. We have a short growing season.

BBD21BA4-2DED-41A7-9277-628F0454343C.jpeg

My oldest Lexi with her two Cavs while visiting at very end of June.

What is the material for your paths?  I can't tell if that's rocks, or maybe wood chips?   

Remo

Perennial garden here except for sweet corn planting in May. However I have a gazillion wildflower seeds planted in starter trays that will go into the hot house in 6 weeks.

Fishnfowler

I've got 20 artichokes going in windows and plan on getting my dahlia's started soon.  I brought home the wood for an additional 4 raised beds and am planning on building an 8' fence for those pesky deer. Am committed to a sweet garden this year. Not sure what I'll put in, but will run the usual beans, peas, tomatoes, squash, cukes, and lettuce.  Maybe plant some corn.  Have 1,000 garlic pushing up right now.

Brad Eden
7 hours ago, 1971snipe said:

What is the material for your paths?  I can't tell if that's rocks, or maybe wood chips?   

I inherited the beds and the area around them when we bought this place, it’s crushed rock. Works good and looks good. 

RJR

I usually turn my garden and make soil test by now but the rain has been relentless since first of year. I’ve had just six inches the past two days. We are doubled past the record amount for this part of the year. Actually we are close to our normal rainfall for the whole year. 
Fruit trees blooming and garlic is six inches high. May have to start the plants in pots if I can’t get in the garden to plow. May still be to wet by Good Friday.