REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
WI Outdoor Nut

Shed Hunting anyone

WI Outdoor Nut

While I am not big into shed hunting, my son really enjoys it.  So between doing a bit of deer stand maintenance, and some shed hunting, a agreed to head out.  I would call it a bad day of shed hunting, and I was the only one to find a "shed".  Nice 4 point main frame, but more concerning were the skull finds.  Never like to find them like this, but glad we did find them. 

2020-3-16 June Shed.jpg

2020-3-16 garys shed.PNG

2020-3-16 shed find ii.jpg

2020-3-16 shed find.jpg

MAArcher

Nice finds!   I've been out in some good spots, posted land with buck sign, but haven't found anything yet.  The dog with "find the bone" in the house when I hide them but as yet he hasn't found one in the woods.  

Brad Eden

A9D81C7F-F7DD-43FD-B31E-4EC2642284FA.jpeg

The 32 year sum total of my Maine shed finds. All were stumbled upon.

I’ve tried purposely looking for them and never find any. I chock it up to the low deer densities in Maine or my ineptitude.

WI Outdoor Nut

Just to note, I can't claim I am good at this, but have found a few in my life.  But due to my color-blindness, I have a tough time finding them unless there is just the right amount of snow.  My son got a big kick while turkey hunting one year, I actually stepped on a small shed and never noticed it.  Just thought it was a stick.  My brother has a stack about 5x's the size of brad's in 10 years.  But our deer densities are very high where we hunt, making a big difference. 

MAArcher

Three times now I've been walking in the woods and the guy following me has picked up a shed I stepped over.   

rudyc

Not a shed, but found while shed hunting--

Where was he when I had my longbow in hand???

image000000 (006).jpg

Birdcountry70

I think most around here are on the ground now though I did see a small buck a couple of days ago that still had one. Just need this latest snow to melt. Last year I only went looking for one day. I think my son and I found 3 that day. My best day ever I found 13 once many years ago.

max2

I was going to say the exact same thing as Brad when I read the topic. I have never found one when looking for them exclusively.  But that said I have never really gone out looking wholeheartedly  . Have come home a couple times with some. Purely accidental .

mccuha

Some nice sheds and a few nice dead buck finds.  Those that found the buck skulls. Any signs of what happened to them. 

I find most most of my sheds while turkey hunting.  I do find some when im out of state bird hunting in the fall. 

Brad Eden

I found a nice 8pt dead buck while turkey hunting one spring. It was just bones and spine and the head with a nice rack. I broke the skull and rack off and it’s hanging on the side of my outhouse out back. Bleached white by the elements. I’ll take a photo and post later.

Brad Eden
14 hours ago, MAArcher said:

Three times now I've been walking in the woods and the guy following me has picked up a shed I stepped over.   

Glasses.

MAArcher
40 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Glasses.

I wear contacts.   I just suck.  Or I just used up all my allotted shed hunting mojo to find a moose shed. 

IMG_2321.JPG

max2

For me of the whole heads I have found I would say two archery finds and one buck comes to mind that had a hole the diameter of 3/8 inch dowel in one side only with no exit wound.  

WI Outdoor Nut
11 hours ago, mccuha said:

Some nice sheds and a few nice dead buck finds.  Those that found the buck skulls. Any signs of what happened to them. 

I find most most of my sheds while turkey hunting.  I do find some when im out of state bird hunting in the fall. 

To answer your question, no. No sign.  The bigger of the two looks to be dead a year plus.  Bones scattered everywhere.  The other one was this year.  Many photos of that deer.  To my knowledge, no one shot at him.  No idea why they died. 

mccuha

Unfortunately I find quite a few deer pretty much every year that have been shot and we’re never recovered.  Most of this is on public land.  I found a pretty nice buck this year like that.  We didn’t have a deer season around here until I think the late 60’s to early 70’s.  My FIL has a very nice buck that he found while bird hunting in that same time period.  Said he had seen that buck with another nice buck a couple times.  He had it scored and for a while , up until maybe the mid nineties that buck made the SC record book and was in the top 20.  It scored in the upper 150’s. 

I found a buck skeleton in OK 8-10 yrs ago that I’m confident it was a coyote kill just from where I found it and the signs.  It scored 141.  My best buck to date.  I just didn’t shoot it though