REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Remo

Shop/Hideout

Remo

This sort of, kinda, might, maybe fall in Gear & Gadgets.  Last Sept. a foamer was nearby on a big shop insulation job so I had him do a small 14' dia. steel grain bin. I hacked out sky light holes and a door window and for $900 bucks he put on 2" of foam. Wood shop for me & dogs. The solar heating of the steel raises the inside temp 20-30 degrees and many days I don't need the electric heater.

P1120226-001.JPG

P1120228-001.JPG

Without the foam it was pretty damn dark and I thought I'd have to paint it white but light isn't a problem if you quit by supper.

max2

Cool idea !

Don Steese

Would that be an example of Yankee ingenuity? Methinks so!!

Remo

I think it would make a neat hunting shack someplace. The small ones are free or almost on a lot of farms and even up to 21' dia. they are quite cheap because most farmers went to BIG bins. A little wood stove and you'd be in business. They aren't hard to take down for moving.

charlo slim

You might wanna call that a "Nodaker Tiny House Yurt"  Remo,  which would put right in there with the latest granola lifestyle trend.  Just jerkin' yer chain a little here, great Idea for sure.  As an aside, I had no idea that your last name is "Butler" -- heck, I've seen your  sign all over the prairies!!

Don Steese

There's a couple in northeast Montana, right next to the campground we used to stay at who live in a yurt. 

Birdcountry70

We considered converting a larger one for our mountain cabin before deciding to go more traditional.  One of the big attractions for me was fire resistance. I've seen a few converted to workshops. I'd like to have one myself.

Dogwood

Way cool!

aje4

Very slick!  

mccuha

super cool. I may have to look into that.

dogrunner

Nice, looks like you need a small dust collector. 

Dakota Dogman

Love that!  I have been dreaming of doing something similar for some time.  My idea was to lift the roof though, and build a tower man cave on top.  Winding stair case to get up there. LOTS of windows & sunlight.  Ideal office... Maybe if I ever get back to SD.

Nicely done! Thanks for keeping my dream alive!

God Bless,

munsterlander

Awesome!  For years a buddy and I have camped in a similar sized grain bin in the middle of nowhere for chukar hunting.  The surrounding grain fields had been abandoned a long time ago. On the edge of some rough chukar country.  Our home away from home doesn't have insulation and can get like a refrigerator, and it is very noisy/echoy which is interesting if you get two or three snorers in there.  We built a bench similar to yours that we use as a kitchen area.  When the weather is cold we cook inside but first crawl up top and open the hatch to let the smoke out.  We set up cots and chairs, pretty nice.  Level concrete floor you can sweep up.

We don't have a window in our door!

Remo

Since you aren't fussy, (ha), you could glue on 1" Owens Corning pink board cheap. I think PL300 is the caulk/glue.

Jalinkly

I could definitely see a hinting camp in the making.