REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Virgil Kane

Reseeding my lawn, grass seed

Virgil Kane

After a rainy fall and a warm winter the inevitable happened and my dogs have torn up my backyard grass

I never had much luck with grass seed and am hoping that someone can recommend a seed that will grow fairly quickly so my dogs aren't continually covered in a coat of my every time it rains.

Living in the midwest now is the time to get the seed down but I'm not sure which brand and what kind. 

Virgil 

Marc Ret

If mud is a concern, consider anchoring straw mats over the seeded area. It will help (to an extent) to minimize mud and the seed being washed away by rain runoff, keep birds out of the seed and will promote growth. No help on a seed recommendation. 

Sod would give you an "instant" lawn with minimal mud but would cost a whole lot more. 

Mike da Carpenter

The absolute best grass seed I have ever seen used was called Rhino.  It was spread on one of our construction site close to 20 years ago.  The contractor was trying to get something in the ground to prevent erosion.  That stuff grew FAST!!!  I have no idea where to buy it, if it is even still for sale.  I do know it had a LOT of seed in the mix that was just an annual so don’t expect it to keep coming back.

I had completely forgot all about that stuff till you just brought it up.  In the blink of an eye I could visualize the bag and name on it.  WOW, it’s amazing how the mind works.

atticus

I’m a huge fan of Jonathan green “black beauty”. 

grouse28

Yes straw mats or any of the other erosion control mats might work. 
Dogs and new grass - fugeddabotit. Mud will always be a factor.

Seed it and go away for at least  6 weeks with the dogs.

Smiller

I'm not sure you're going to find anything that won't be affected by traffic whether it be two or four. The fescue mixes are generally considered for areas of foot traffic, but you still have to give them time to get established. I don't know how much area you are looking at but you could do it in sections and exclude the dogs for a few weeks from each area.

MUSTANGER7

When I lived near KC I used Zoysia plugs in the backyard area where the dogs would be, fertilized it heavy and kept it moist took off the spead out of that yard and took over the rest of the yard in two years. Used it here in Florida with same great results.

ESetterSage

I would suggest get the best seed you can dont skimp. Also fertilize that helps. Make sure to get the right type of seed, sun shade mix full sun so forth. Keeping a crazy dog pack off the lawn seems to be the biggest obstacle to overcome. 

max2

I would buy a good perennial rye and cover it with  hay or straw  and soak it in. The contractor seeds as Mike had stated above die off as fast as they grow.  Just my humble opinion -

Jakeismydog2

Virgil where do you live? That matters a bunch.

Sun or shade?

Irrigated or no?

Dave Medema

We built a new home last year and I've been seeding the property (6 acres) intermittently as areas were available.  I used a landscapers blend for a base with good results.  It had a lot of annual rye which grows fast.  Once that was up enough to cut once, I overseeded with the sunny variety which had more bluegrass and fescue.  Keep in mind, this was from bare dirt vs. an existing lawn.  The home was finished in December and we ran out of good weather to seed right around the house.  Just because I had the seed, I put it on the dirt, raked it in and let is sit all winter.  I've heard mixed reviews of this but in the last week I'm starting to see green fuzz in spots.  I'm hoping the next few weeks see progress.  As Michigan is now in Covid lockdown, I grabbed enough new seed  this weekend to start over if needed.  I'll get that down soon as I have nothing better to do and a temps are inching higher.  I've had the dogs and mud issue for months now.  It sucks.  Current plan is a annual rye down soon and then a sunny blend over the top.  

BTW - my landscaper hates blue grass it is finicky and needs lots of water.  She likes fescue as the main seed with a smattering of others for color and feel.  

Virgil Kane
9 hours ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

Virgil where do you live? That matters a bunch.

Sun or shade?

Irrigated or no?

Illinois, north part.

Full sun all day

I do have a sprinkler system.

I have tried both Scotts ( not much luck) and Pennington  ( better luck, ~ 50% germination).  Others have given some options as to who to get grass seed from and I'll have to give those other suppliers a look.

My thinking is that I should get some annual rye grass that's quick growing to get some coverage and then reseed with good perennial seed once the annual takes root.  Am I flawed in that thinking?

The big problem is the dogs running full speed and then throwing out the anchor and sliding to a stop ripping up the grass when the yard is wet.  I know there's not much I can do to stop that from happening but if I can get the grass growing again it will cut down on the mud tracked inside.

Thanks everybody for all the help and suggestions.

Virgil

Dave Medema posted this while I was typing.  Seems like we have similar ideas as to how to handle this problem.

terrym
17 hours ago, Virgil Kane said:

my dogs have torn up my backyard grass

Virgil 

You have grass?

Virgil Kane
1 minute ago, terrym said:

You have grass?

There's a few blades left but those are going fast. LOL

Virgil